The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Happy New Year's Eve! I hope you all enjoy your last day of 2018!

We don't have any big plans. No going out for us. Hubs has to do a burial today and once we comes home we will have appetizers throughout the night, play games and watch movies. It's a pretty standard NYE for us.

I was going to put away Christmas decorations but since my back is just starting to feel better I don't want to overdo things. So just some tidying up and relaxing today.

Anyway, in case I forget.....I wish you all a happy and blessed 2019!

Songbird76

All very good points, and I suppose she could have been in a small roll. I guess we just have to allow her to want to remember her first and very successful start. I was looking at it, I think, as the most common remark I have heard and that was that they could never remake Mary Poppins. And since that wasn't the case, they couldn't have used her as a lead. And why settle to be the balloon lady after being Mary Poppins. Just leave the original memory unblemished. Van D yke worked because he was playing basically the same part he did in the original when made up as an old man and it was played more for comedy.

The excuse that she didn't want to cause Blunt problems was bogus. Julie was Mary, she created that character physically and used Disney's spin on it. She had nothing to gain by having audiences feeling sorry about the aging process and believe me we all come to the age when we no longer want to have any real limelight or be reminded of the passage of time. I think she made the right choice. After all, the original movie wasn't titled "Bert" or "Jane". The movie went out of its way to remember Julie in some of the mannerisms and even the semi-duplication's of some scenes that Julie had made famous. Psychologically, even for audiences, to see those tributes and then see an aged Julie as another character would have been more depressing then then joyous. I know it would have been for me. Some memories just shouldn't be altered.

I can relate in that way to Julie's inner self awareness and concern. I don't think she disapproved in anyway because Emily played the character closer to the books, personality wise and it made it's creation nothing less then the fact that we now had two Mary Poppins movies worthy of seeing. Now if we had been talking about a remake of the original, I would agree that it never should have even been thought about much less made.

I just heard that the movie picked up by almost 20% in it's second week. Hopefully word will get out and like the first one, will become a must see for everyone.
Well, I'm glad it's doing better in the 2nd week. Of course Julie has every right to decide for herself, and I'm sure she had her reasons, whether they expressed them truthfully or not. It just makes me a bit sad because I'd have loved to see her in it.

MySmallWorldof4

Forgot to mention but I started a part-time online tutoring job. It’s teaching English to kids in China. Had my 4th lesson taught today at 6:30am. Good thing I am an early riser. Started last Wednesday. Anyway, so far it is fun and the little 6 yr old I taught today read English better than many of his American counterparts of the same age.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
Forgot to mention but I started a part-time online tutoring job. It’s teaching English to kids in China. Had my 4th lesson taught today at 6:30am. Good thing I am an early riser. Started last Wednesday. Anyway, so far it is fun and the little 6 yr old I taught today read English better than many of his American counterparts of the same age.
I've heard about doing that. It sounds interesting. And fun. :) Are you doing it through VipKid?

Goofyernmost

Well, I'm glad it's doing better in the 2nd week. Of course Julie has every right to decide for herself, and I'm sure she had her reasons, whether they expressed them truthfully or not. It just makes me a bit sad because I'd have loved to see her in it.
I agree, but, honestly I have thought and thought about it, and since they were attempting to make the movie with more of a "like the books" attitude I don't think that Julie minds at all that she isn't in it. It seems to me that it would be awfully degrading to go from the absolute lead to a 3rd or 4th level below a little to much to ask. Van D yke was a secondary lead as Bert, but, just a comedy relief as the bank patriarch. The exact status as his original portrayal of the bank patriarch. No change in status for him. I remember when they announced Star Wars... The Force Awakens. In that one both Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher returned as the same, older, but, able characters. That worked, I don't see how the same thing would have worked in Mary Poppins if for no other reason then the length of the franchise and their participation in them was so much longer and they were both older then the Star Wars Movies. I have to wonder if D. VanD would have gone in for any other character then Bert or the Banker.

I'm not trying to change your mind, just to try and explain more deeply, the reasons why I'm happier that she didn't, then I would have been if she had. The Fairy Tale nature of the movie would have been compromised for me and I would have been more focused on the personalities then the story.

Rista1313

All very good points, and I suppose she could have been in a small roll. I guess we just have to allow her to want to remember her first and very successful start. I was looking at it, I think, as the most common remark I have heard and that was that they could never remake Mary Poppins. And since that wasn't the case, they couldn't have used her as a lead. And why settle to be the balloon lady after being Mary Poppins. Just leave the original memory unblemished. Van D yke worked because he was playing basically the same part he did in the original when made up as an old man and it was played more for comedy.

The excuse that she didn't want to cause Blunt problems was bogus. Julie was Mary, she created that character physically and used Disney's spin on it. She had nothing to gain by having audiences feeling sorry about the aging process and believe me we all come to the age when we no longer want to have any real limelight or be reminded of the passage of time. I think she made the right choice. After all, the original movie wasn't titled "Bert" or "Jane". The movie went out of its way to remember Julie in some of the mannerisms and even the semi-duplication's of some scenes that Julie had made famous. Psychologically, even for audiences, to see those tributes and then see an aged Julie as another character would have been more depressing then then joyous. I know it would have been for me. Some memories just shouldn't be altered.

I can relate in that way to Julie's inner self awareness and concern. I don't think she disapproved in anyway because Emily played the character closer to the books, personality wise and it made it's creation nothing less then the fact that we now had two Mary Poppins movies worthy of seeing. Now if we had been talking about a remake of the original, I would agree that it never should have even been thought about much less made.

I just heard that the movie picked up by almost 20% in it's second week. Hopefully word will get out and like the first one, will become a must see for everyone.

Went to see it today, and we just loved it. The only person we didn't care for was the actor playing Michael Banks... he just lacked something.

SteveBrickNJ

I am starting my NYE with an oil change. After lunch we will undecorate the inside of the house. Tomorrow afternoon is supposed to be 60F so we will undecorate the outside tomorrow. Tonight we are getting pizza and side foods and hanging out together at home. Happy New Year everyone!
3:28pm and only fun things remain...oil change is done and my family worked together to undecorate. Very cool !

SteveBrickNJ

Wow that is sooo interesting! Are you using Skype or something that allows you to see whoever you are teaching?

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

That sounds interesting. Just curious as to how you fell into that. I'm assuming it is a paid tutoring gig. Sounds cool and good luck.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Went to see it today, and we just loved it. The only person we didn't care for was the actor playing Michael Banks... he just lacked something.

I'm glad you loved it too. The Michael Banks character was okay for me, but I can see how he might have been lacking in something. I was more intrigued with the Jane character. Hubs bought the soundtrack and he made a copy for me and we have both been listening to it whenever we get the chance. :inlove:

Figgy1

That sounds very interesting. Congrats and good luck

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom