The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MySmallWorldof4

Agreed. And I have to say, while it's a lovely sentiment to not want to distract from Emily Blunt's performance, and she wanted Emily to make it her own, that's just not going to happen. Julie Andrews IS Mary Poppins. People associate her with that role, that's the icon...people are going to compare. It's never going to be Emily's own, no matter how well she performed it. And my first thought of why Julie Andrews wasn't in the sequel was that perhaps she didn't approve. I'm glad to know that wasn't the case, and Julie really is a class act. But it's rather an unrealistic expectation that fans wouldn't compare, or would see it as someone else's role. At least for me, it will always be Julie's. Just like Richard Harris will always be Dumbledore, even though Michael Gambon played the role in many more films. It's why remakes often don't work as well as the originals. Because you have that image in your head of that person in that role....and it wouldn't have been the same had anyone else played that character. People fell in love with it as it was....sure, the story is great, but the actors really bring it to life. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And while this isn't a remake, you really can't escape the fact that it's the same iconic character, but not the same actor playing it. So there will be comparisons and discussions about how it was different. I think by doing a cameo, it would have made it clear that she supported Emily playing the role, passing on the torch so to speak.
Yes, it is human nature to compare. I couldn’t help but compare the 2 actresses as I was watching. Emily Blunt said she wanted to play Poppins closer to the character of Poppins in the story. I preferred Andrews take on it, or maybe that was Mr. Disney’s take. Nonetheless I enjoyed the film. The music and dancing were great and I hadn’t realized how much time had passed when we left the theater. Sad it didn’t do well at the box office and amazed that theaters are already pulling it after less than 2 weeks. I don’t know how all these other live action and CGI remakes of other classics they have coming out will do. I am not keen on seeing Aladin or Mulan. The kids want to see the lion king. The preview did look good, and James Earl Jones reprises his role. I am srill unsure why they feel a need to remake these classics. Are they just out of ideas for something new?

MySmallWorldof4

Jack Attack last night -- I stepped out of the kitchen for a minute and when I came back, I saw that the tablecloth was kinda bunched up on the table. Couldn't figure it out as there was no food on the table, just a glass of milk. Then I noticed a large wet spot on the tablecloth.

Well, your favorite dog managed to climb up on the table, and slurp MY milk out of MY glass . . . spilling most of it on the tablecloth! :banghead: (And there was also the telltale sign of white milk drops on the side of his mouth.) I told him he was in the dog house (although we don't have a dog house). :facepalm:
Maybe if you had shared the milk earlier...;)

MySmallWorldof4

Earlier, he was too busy chowing down his dinner. I didn't exist to him at that time. :cautious:
I had a miniature poodle as a kid that one time stole a box of Godiva chocolates that we had on a kitchen table. When we came home after being out we noticed it was gone and there were wrappers everywhere. Boy was my mom mad. I was just amazed at how the dog could open up the wrapped chocolates. Amazingly enough he didn’t get ill as you are not supposed to give chocolates to dogs.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I had a miniature poodle as a kid that one time stole a box of Godiva chocolates that we had on a kitchen table. When we came home after being out we noticed it was gone and there were wrappers everywhere. Boy was my mom mad. I was just amazed at how the dog could open up the wrapped chocolates. Amazingly enough he didn’t get ill as you are not supposed to give chocolates to dogs.

Yah, chocolate can be a definite hazard to some dogs; some can even go into shock. But not every dog--they're like people--what affects my health may not affect someone else's. Still, I always keep chocolate in a closed cabinet away from my dog.

I do have a similar funny story about my previous dog, though. We had left out a small bowl of Hershey's kisses on the livingroom coffee table. When we returned home that day, I noticed all these bits of silver foil all over the floor. Realized that my dog had just eaten all the kisses!! :facepalm: (We dodged a bullet on that one, as she was not allergic.)

Songbird76

Yes, it is human nature to compare. I couldn’t help but compare the 2 actresses as I was watching. Emily Blunt said she wanted to play Poppins closer to the character of Poppins in the story. I preferred Andrews take on it, or maybe that was Mr. Disney’s take. Nonetheless I enjoyed the film. The music and dancing were great and I hadn’t realized how much time had passed when we left the theater. Sad it didn’t do well at the box office and amazed that theaters are already pulling it after less than 2 weeks. I don’t know how all these other live action and CGI remakes of other classics they have coming out will do. I am not keen on seeing Aladin or Mulan. The kids want to see the lion king. The preview did look good, and James Earl Jones reprises his role. I am srill unsure why they feel a need to remake these classics. Are they just out of ideas for something new?
Well, the only explanation I can think of for all the live action remakes is target audience. They want to draw in as many people as possible and an animated movie about a princess, or whatever, isn't going to draw in many people besides those with children, and those who are Disney Fanatics. Now that they've got Star Wars and Marvel, those draw in huge audiences....I think they are moving towards the remakes maybe to see if they can cash in on that demographic? It's still the same story, but it's presented in a more "grown up" way that will appeal to the demographic they are missing with the animated films? And back when Cinderella, Snow White, Jungle Book, etc came out, they didn't have all the technology like the CGI to make animals talk, or do the things they needed the wild animals to do. I'm betting that now that they HAVE that technology, they want to see if they can reach a wider audience....one that isn't there for the typical Disney "Awwwww.....that's so sweet!" experience, but that wants action and drama. I could be wrong, but that's the only thing I can think of. But I have not seen the new Pete's Dragon, I have no desire to see the new Lion King, I didn't watch the Pooh movie and don't plan too....the live action thing just doesn't really appeal to me.

Songbird76

I have only seen this with vets. I think because most doctors/dentists participate in plans they do not charge for follow-ups. Vets don’t have that sort of “regulation”.
Oh, here the doctors do it too. When I was pregnant with DD, I got a sinus infection and bronchitis. It would NOT go away....I had it for 4 months. I'd go to the doctor, he'd tell me he couldn't do anything for me, but if it didn't go away in 2 weeks, come back. I'd come back after a month, he'd tell me he still couldn't do anything for me, but to come back if it didn't go away in 2 weeks, and he'd charge me another 20 euros for the visit. I went back 4 times, got charged 20 bucks each time, and I only got meds when my sinuses backed up so much that it caused an ear infection. THEN it finally went away. But every time I had to go back, he charged me for the follow up, even though he didn't do anything to treat me.

MySmallWorldof4

Well, the only explanation I can think of for all the live action remakes is target audience. They want to draw in as many people as possible and an animated movie about a princess, or whatever, isn't going to draw in many people besides those with children, and those who are Disney Fanatics. Now that they've got Star Wars and Marvel, those draw in huge audiences....I think they are moving towards the remakes maybe to see if they can cash in on that demographic? It's still the same story, but it's presented in a more "grown up" way that will appeal to the demographic they are missing with the animated films? And back when Cinderella, Snow White, Jungle Book, etc came out, they didn't have all the technology like the CGI to make animals talk, or do the things they needed the wild animals to do. I'm betting that now that they HAVE that technology, they want to see if they can reach a wider audience....one that isn't there for the typical Disney "Awwwww.....that's so sweet!" experience, but that wants action and drama. I could be wrong, but that's the only thing I can think of. But I have not seen the new Pete's Dragon, I have no desire to see the new Lion King, I didn't watch the Pooh movie and don't plan too....the live action thing just doesn't really appeal to me.
I do prefer the original hand drawn animations myself. Sadly it may become a lost art form. I will say that the new Pooh movie was good, although I can understand why you wouldn’t want to see it. I was ok with it because in the original films they always showed Christopher Robin’s “real” room with the stuffed animals. I knew there was a “real” boy somewhere.

MySmallWorldof4

Oh, here the doctors do it too. When I was pregnant with DD, I got a sinus infection and bronchitis. It would NOT go away....I had it for 4 months. I'd go to the doctor, he'd tell me he couldn't do anything for me, but if it didn't go away in 2 weeks, come back. I'd come back after a month, he'd tell me he still couldn't do anything for me, but to come back if it didn't go away in 2 weeks, and he'd charge me another 20 euros for the visit. I went back 4 times, got charged 20 bucks each time, and I only got meds when my sinuses backed up so much that it caused an ear infection. THEN it finally went away. But every time I had to go back, he charged me for the follow up, even though he didn't do anything to treat me.
I understand that if you are taking up office time, a charge should be incurred, but the original charge was not cheap and the follow-up cost should have been included in the original charge. You definitey should not have been charged for all those office visits. You may as well could have just called him on the phone and gotten the same “I cannot do anything for you.”

Figgy1

I got an email from Hershey Park saying my season pass is good starting January 1st and they're open that day. I mentioned it to Mom...then made the mistake of mentioning it to Dad...I've heard nothing but "Why don't you take your brother?" "You should take your brother" ever since. The only thing that would have been worse is had I mentioned it to my brother. :rolleyes:
Would you like your wine and frying pan in size large?:angelic:

Figgy1

We were hit again early evening. Snow, sleet and ice. I little band that caught everyone off guard. Took stupid salt trucks depending on who owned which road 2-4 hours to salt. It wasn't a great deal of crud but crud that made cars spin out and us walking not being able to stay upright.

F L O R I D A ! ! ! ! ! !
Warm {{HUGS}} and 1546188081792.png stay safe my friend xoxo

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom