The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Yes, they are staying inside on inflatable mattresses on the floor. It has to be picked up and stacked every day because legally, they aren't supposed to be living in there until a Certificate of Occupancy is issued. In affect they are squatters in their own home that they are paying the mortgage on every month. I'm tell you this is a mess. If an inspector decides to be "by the book" they could have a problem getting the Certificate. They were cheated out of so much money that they really can't afford to stay in a hotel, but, the recent snow storm collapsed the tent and it became a dumpster resident.

Wow, that's awful. You mentioned before that they were roughing it (in somewhat better weather at the time)), but I didn't realize the other details. Wherever they are, the neighbors must like them, as they're obviously been living there in the tent--and no one dropped a dime to the building/town inspector. ;)

I pray for a better situation for them all. Yet, little consolation here, but somehow the human spirit gets us through all kinds of unpleasant situations. One way or another, they will rise above all this in due course.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
No. 😥. We leave for that on the 26 but coming back in the 28.

Not so bad -- at least you'll have a WONDERFUL Christmas on Christmas Day, and then Christmas is over.

The trek on the 26th will just be a "visit" with limited holiday expectations. Hang in there. (At least you have a hotel to stay in, versus camping out in their house--that alone, will save your sanity!) :joyfull:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Well after I posted this morning of my baking, wrapping plans I stood up and went to clean the bathroom. As I stood up something went strange in my back and whatever happened it is causing it some problems. At first I could barely walk so I sat back in the recliner for a little while. Then I decided to tough it out and get some stuff done. After moving around it felt better. So anyway....long story short my back is back to pain and some spasms. I have some leftover muscle relaxers that I might try to help me sleep. But ugh, this is not how I wanted to start my Christmas holiday. Now that hubs is home for the evening he has been helping me out, but before the dog would just look at me with concern and paw my leg as I tried to stand. Here's hoping for a better day tomorrow.

Oh dear. That's not good. Do you think you maybe pulled a muscle in your back, while doing things around the house? The muscle relaxer might help, even though you don't want to take it when you're so busy with Christmas chores, etc., but your back is telling you that you're overdoing things a bit. What a frustrating time for this to happen, though! :banghead:

MinnieM123

Premium Member

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I'm thinking that I am going to spend post Christmas/New Years crying in my soup. This has been the most expensive quarter of my entire retirement. First my retirement funds have decreased in value by over $7000.00 since mid October. (So much for the strongest economy we have ever seen. I'm getting really tired of winning so much.) Then, of course, Christmas gifts and group get together costs. Increase in rent by 7%. Cost of putting applications in for alternate housing wait list fees. My computer is very close to death and is just hanging on by a thread. In fact this post up to this point has frozen up 3 times. My printer just decided it needed some new ink cartridges which cost $102.00. Never paid more then $70.00 in the past. Two Birthdays (I have absolute forbidden my daughters from having anymore children born in December) They seemed to agree with that one happily. I really hope things improve soon. Since I have no idea when I might be called for the more affordable Senior Housing, I have to get started packing the things that I haven't used in a while so I don't have to do it all when they call. (It could take up to 2 years, but, as they put it, you never know) I will have to move in immediately if they call and I really don't want to pay rent in two places.

Oh, it will all work out, and I'm not broke yet, but, if it keeps bleeding like this the point in time when I run out will be that much sooner. OK, end of the year whining is now over. Carry on with more cheerful stuff like toilet paper ply's and the end of the world scenario's of single ply stuff. On the more positive side... I did get a $40.00 per month increase in Social Security and my plot at the cemetery will be paid off in January. So I got that going for me and I have 2 ply TP. :D

The only ray of sunshine I can think of here is that we'll be starting a new year, in about another week. When New Year's Day comes around, my attitude is usually upbeat, with hope and optimism for the new year. I wish the same for you, friend.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
We are having German weiners and cheesy has browns... nothing too fancy!

That sound good too. Hubs and I have cheese potatoes and ham for Christmas Eve. I plan to make them today so we only have to reheat later. I think I’m going to have to wait to make them today until hubs is home from church, so he can bend and lift them in and out of the oven.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
The like is for it being a quick visit. Sympathies for having to go at all.

Thanks. Although there is a big storm coming. It looks okay for travel down but maybe a delay for the way back.

Sympathy like. May this morning find you fully healed. You shouldn't do any traveling this week even if you're feeling up to it! Dr Figgy

I’m not sure it is better today. I tried sleeping in the bed but ended up in the recliner to sleep. I guess I’ll see how it feels when I get fully going for the day. Right now I’m trying to enjoy my tree.

Plus I did think of how uncomfortable it might be to spend time in the car and if I still can’t sleep in a reall bed that would be awful for me too. Thanks for the recommendation Dr. Figgy.
2DF65ADB-FC1A-4028-80A5-16B4E389890D.jpeg

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I fell asleep early last night watching the Harry Potter marathon on USA network. So up too early on a Sunday. I did make coconut almond vanilla and chocolate cookies yesterday, as well as a spiced applesauce cake. I may have overindulged since I don’t eat sweets often. Got a bit of a tummy ache which contributed to me falling asleep early. Now I am starving! How does that even happen?

Yum, coconut almond cookies sound so good. I’m glad you let yourself have a treat but sorry you got a tummy ache.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Oh dear. That's not good. Do you think you maybe pulled a muscle in your back, while doing things around the house? The muscle relaxer might help, even though you don't want to take it when you're so busy with Christmas chores, etc., but your back is telling you that you're overdoing things a bit. What a frustrating time for this to happen, though! :banghead:

I think it is muscle related. I wasn’t overdoing it at the time, I just was standing up from sitting. I haven’t used the muscle relaxer yet. I didn’t want to take it when brad wasn’t home in case something happened to him and I needed to drive, I like to be alert for that. By the time his got home it was close to bed and he didn’t want me to take it because it is old and he feared some sort of reaction while I was sleeping. So maybe today, this afternoon perhaps. It is just frustrating.

Goofyernmost

Oh, my MIL always buys the really cheap stuff, usually also quite ugly, and then she asks us all to save the paper so she can re-use it. To each his own. I don't care so much about what kind of paper other people use, but I'm picky about what -I- use...not sure why. I also have a thing for stationary...and I don't have an e-reader because I love the smell and feel of paper books too much. I guess I just have a thing for paper.
Perhaps you were a tree in a former life? Otherwise, I got nothin!;):happy:

Goofyernmost

Just out of curiosity why do they need a new CO? Shouldn't the original cover them
Mostly because this was a pretty huge redo of this house. When demo was done all that was left was the kitchen, one bathroom and four external walls. Just a shell. It required a new HVAC system, the formally unusable space between the ceiling and the roof was transformed into an office, one bedroom, bath and large day room, downstairs the former living room and master bedroom had cathedral ceilings that had to be made into regular ceilings and they completely redid the master bath and moved the laundry area. They even had to move the circuit breakers to a different location and new fire codes meant sheet rock in the attached garage. The support system had to be reinforced by adding a gigantic center beam to support the weight of the additional stuff on the second floor connecting up to the roof and a stair case was needed for access to the second floor which also involved changing the dimensions of the two downstairs bedrooms. So, it's to late now to make this long story short, but, they basically had to completely rebuild, re-insulate, rewire, have massive new plumbing, including in-slab waste piping.

All that stuff had to pass individual inspection followed up by a last, probably the worst, inspection to see if all the problems were caught and corrected by the previous inspections. My guess is that any future changes will be buying a new house and burning that one to the ground. They originally were supposed to be done and moved in by late August. The new target was before Christmas, that will be missed by about two or three weeks, but, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It has been difficult keeping morale up especially with their 16 year old daughter. She has been a very unhappy, forced into, camper. Can't say I blame her considering my absolute hatred of camping.

Goofyernmost

The only ray of sunshine I can think of here is that we'll be starting a new year, in about another week. When New Year's Day comes around, my attitude is usually upbeat, with hope and optimism for the new year. I wish the same for you, friend.
I usually am as well, but, considering all the stuff that happened in 2018, I'm afraid to be optimistic for fear of jinxing what better luck might be forthcoming. I am thankful that all of us are currently healthy, no deaths or serious illness in any of the family other then my close call this past June. So overall, compared to many desperate and downtrodden peoples in the world, I have no right to be anything but grateful for all that my family and I have. We are not rich, but, we are doing fine. Even my need to find a new location actually, I think, is going to turn out to be a very positive thing, but, you know the old saying... "When you're up to your butt in alligators it's hard to remember that your original intention was to explore the swamp." If I were to swap out explore for the original drain... this would become political. :jawdrop::joyfull:

Last edited:

MySmallWorldof4

Mostly because this was a pretty huge redo of this house. When demo was done all that was left was the kitchen, one bathroom and four external walls. Just a shell. It required a new HVAC system, the formally unusable space between the ceiling and the roof was transformed into an office, one bedroom, bath and large day room, downstairs the former living room and master bedroom had cathedral ceilings that had to be made into regular ceilings and they completely redid the master bath and moved the laundry area. They even had to move the circuit breakers to a different location and new fire codes meant sheet rock in the attached garage. The support system had to be reinforced by adding a gigantic center beam to support the weight of the additional stuff on the second floor connecting up to the roof and a stair case was needed for access to the second floor which also involved changing the dimensions of the two downstairs bedrooms. So, it's to late now to make this long story short, but, they basically had to completely rebuild, re-insulate, rewire, have massive new plumbing, including in-slab waste piping.

All that stuff had to pass individual inspection followed up by a last, probably the worst, inspection to see if all the problems were caught and corrected by the previous inspections. My guess is that any future changes will be buying a new house and burning that one to the ground. They originally were supposed to be done and moved in by late August. The new target was before Christmas, that will be missed by about two or three weeks, but, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It has been difficult keeping morale up especially with their 16 year old daughter. She has been a very unhappy, forced into, camper. Can't say I blame her considering my absolute hatred of camping.
That sounds like they should have just tore down the original and built a bew house. Would have been quicker then retrofitting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom