The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MySmallWorldof4

Update for my 3 forum friends who discussed this topic with me over the weekend...
I stopped by the store today at 4:30pm and the Christmas Nutcracker figurine is $49.99
I didn't buy it. It's quality wood....has some weight to it....it's a fair price but probably my wife would think that's a bit much for something that will be in storage 10.5 months of the year.
She agreed to let me take her to the mall this Friday so she can pick out her own presents. I'll pick out my own also. Let's hope that really takes place and we can focus on her surgery and recovery instead of what gift(s) to get ;)
I actually think that you just being there for her during this time is a wonderful present.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
The one thing I blanked out of my mind from those days was sentence structure. I don't remember if that was even the name of it. It was when you broke down each word in a sentence in some freaky grid type thing that positioned them as nouns, verbs, pronouns, etc. I hated that and almost always blanked out when it was being taught. In my early years in school I had this thought that I didn't give a rats behind if something was a noun or a spaceship. If the sentence was understandable, that was the core essence of communications. No matter how it was done it enabled to tell someone else what we were trying to convey. Agreeing that punctuation is important in doing that successfully, that I got behind, even though I am guilty of misusing a few of those little , . ! ? " ' : ; the end. Or more likely using to many and putting them in the, wrong places, especially, .... ,'s! :eek:

Phonics. That's what you're trying to recall. (Gabe1 said the same thing, by the way.)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Yes, it was done for Reagan and I think Gerald Ford as well.

I think part of it is due to the street congestion with all the gov't. workers, if it was a regular work day--so with a slow motorcade procession for a long distance, it's probably just easier to shut down the gov't. buildings. It's also probably a bit easier for security details with less vehicles in the area.

MySmallWorldof4

^^^^
This

I sat through soooo many curriculum pitches while being on our school board. With my kids being 5 grades apart they never had the same curriculum, publishers phased them out to force districts to buy new series. While the curriculum teams were always different teachers it was always pitched as the latest, improved method and of course would improve test scores. My DD a wiz in math couldn't understand the story problems in 3rd grade for homework. Her Dad a Math Major couldn't understand even what the real question was and they were still learning multiplication and division. Mind Boggling. I read that one out loud at a school board meeting underlining the frustration of parents with homework. Then asked the audience so what is the answer. Without the 'key' they did not have an answer. :banghead: So the professional staff didn't grasp it either. The board always unanimously passed the recommended curriculum but never really found a pattern in test scores to show improvement.
School boards should go find math books kids were using in the 1800’s and up to 1970. Basic math is no different now then it was then, but if you asked a 9 year old back then to tell you what 48+52 was, they probably could answer it in a few seconds. Now with core, kids have to break everything up into groups of tens and what should take seconds, takes many minutes. :rolleyes::banghead: And that is if they get it at all. :cautious:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
School boards should go find math books kids were using in the 1800’s and up to 1970. Basic math is no different now then it was then, but if you asked a 9 year old back then to tell you what 48+52 was, they probably could answer it in a few seconds. Now with core, kids have to break everything up into groups of tens and what should take seconds, takes many minutes. :rolleyes::banghead: And that is if they get it at all. :cautious:

Don't forget to include a slate for each kid, and a piece of chalk. :p

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I commute to and from work in a few different ways, depending upon what lines (buses, trains) are running without delays. Most of the time, I commute through a very large city station, and I'm used to seeing transit security, and occasionally, a military soldier standing guard with a rifle. They're all part of the landscape now, and I hardly notice anymore. But today they had a gaggle of Special Ops (elite) transit cops on patrol (some with dogs), and it creeped me out. (You never know if the K-9s are drug sniffing dogs, or explosive devices sniffing dogs.) Couldn't wait to get outta there tonight.

MySmallWorldof4

I commute to and from work in a few different ways, depending upon what lines (buses, trains) are running without delays. Most of the time, I commute through a very large city station, and I'm used to seeing transit security, and occasionally, a military soldier standing guard with a rifle. They're all part of the landscape now, and I hardly notice anymore. But today they had a gaggle of Special Ops (elite) transit cops on patrol (some with dogs), and it creeped me out. (You never know if the K-9s are drug sniffing dogs, or explosive devices sniffing dogs.) Couldn't wait to get outta there tonight.
The like is for you being home safe.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

That would creep me out too. Glad you are home safe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom