The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MySmallWorldof4

He did say “oh I forgot to write Juventus, Real Madrid and FC Cincinnati clothes!” on the way home. With the absemse of the Toys R Is book, and because he doesn’t watch much tv, so doesn’t see commercials, he was really at a loss this year. He did see the Nintendo Labo commercial (on his Switch), but I did tell him that Santa can’t bring 3 video games. T is only allowed a couple hours per week on the Switch, there’s no way he would have time for 3 new games... so I’m not sure what I will do there. It’s the bulk of his list.

Ouch on the $400 VR game! I looked at a SW lightsaber VR game for T, but only a fraction of that price.. decided against it because looks like it requires a cell phone to operate. I’m completely ignorant on this VR stuff, and most video game stuff in general.

Do you have any good suggestions for science kits or STEM toys in general? I’ll probably get a science subscription to Little Passports (we’ve done the World edition and are on the US edition now). I’m also thinking of throwing in some tickets to the Indianapolis Children’s Museum for 12/26. Besides that, I probably do my norm of Hobby Lobby and Micheals should have some kits.

I did laugh at ‘Uno the card game’ being first on his list.lol. He hasn’t requested any big ticket items this year.
Lego has a robotics set. Lego Mindstorms. Got that for ds about 5 years ago. He has enjoyed that.

SteveBrickNJ

We were shopping at a store today to get a gift for a 9 year old girl. Yet before we made it to the appropriate section for that gift, my wife stopped to admire (and desire) a Christmas Nutcracker figurine. A tall handsome dude. She looked at the price and put it back. I could return to that store and get it.....but if pjs and a spa certificate then it might not be needed. She HAS chosen her own gifts numerous times. So far no. She has a "women's surgery" on Dec 10th so Christmas prep takes on an urgency a little earlier than usual.
Update for my 3 forum friends who discussed this topic with me over the weekend...
I stopped by the store today at 4:30pm and the Christmas Nutcracker figurine is $49.99
I didn't buy it. It's quality wood....has some weight to it....it's a fair price but probably my wife would think that's a bit much for something that will be in storage 10.5 months of the year.
She agreed to let me take her to the mall this Friday so she can pick out her own presents. I'll pick out my own also. Let's hope that really takes place and we can focus on her surgery and recovery instead of what gift(s) to get ;)

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
Update for my 3 forum friends who discussed this topic with me over the weekend...
I stopped by the store today at 4:30pm and the Christmas Nutcracker figurine is $49.99
I didn't buy it. It's quality wood....has some weight to it....it's a fair price but probably my wife would think that's a bit much for something that will be in storage 10.5 months of the year.
She agreed to let me take her to the mall this Friday so she can pick out her own presents. I'll pick out my own also. Let's hope that really takes place and we can focus on her surgery and recovery instead of what gift(s) to get ;)
Good luck I hope you get to enjoy shopping at the Mall. If she's as you've described her she may not pick anything to take home, so keep an eye on her eyes for when they light up. That way you can sneak back and pick up something that won't wind up in storage for over half the year;)

Figgy1

Premium Member
I didn't know until the morning. Did they have this for Reagan when he died? Anyway, it's up in the air if I have to go to work because I don't really work for the government but I do at the same time.
Sympathy like. You won't have to go in if it's a hard closing on government property. That's what I've been told. As for Regan I don't remember but believe so but dh had to go in. Do you get holiday pay of your off, Fed workers do

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
The one thing I blanked out of my mind from those days was sentence structure. I don't remember if that was even the name of it. It was when you broke down each word in a sentence in some freaky grid type thing that positioned them as nouns, verbs, pronouns, etc. I hated that and almost always blanked out when it was being taught. In my early years in school I had this thought that I didn't give a rats behind if something was a noun or a spaceship. If the sentence was understandable, that was the core essence of communications. No matter how it was done it enabled to tell someone else what we were trying to convey. Agreeing that punctuation is important in doing that successfully, that I got behind, even though I am guilty of miss using a few of those little , . ! ? " ' : ; the end. Or more likely using to many and putting them in the, wrong places, especially, .... ,'s! :eek:

Yep. And before spell check anyhow if you were of the era that Phonics were not taught these students couldn't sound out a word to begin to look the word up and if they were reading and tripped upon a word that they were not familiar with sounding it out didn't happen.

Grammar in my humble opinion is taught too soon along with structure. While some grasp early (I believe early readers) I believe it is taught too young, over their heads and by the time they have enough of a knowledge base they 'hate' grammar lessons already 'cause they were not good at it. I've seen that with math too, so many reasoning and word problems prior to them having a good grasp of math facts and basic practices.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Basic knowledge and grasping of it is missing in public schools today. They are trying to combine actual facts with some twisted math logic. Little kids who have just learned that 2 and 2 is 4, cannot grasp the analysis of things that may be taught in a college math major class. Many adults have an issue with that. I got one wrong in my college math placement test and was put in math major calculus freshman year of college. After a week I had to drop it and go into a regular calc class because I just didn't get all the theory that went into it. I was a "give me the facts person". I didn't care how they came up with the logic and theories behind the calculations. Teach me how to use a formula and I am good. These kids are sort of being taught the same thing but dealing with addition, multiplication, etc. What is wrong with the old fashioned "memorize the times table"? The kids nowadays may know how to use computers, and Snapchat, and Youtube, etc., but they are lacking in a basic knowledge base. Glad I homeschool.

^^^^
This

I sat through soooo many curriculum pitches while being on our school board. With my kids being 5 grades apart they never had the same curriculum, publishers phased them out to force districts to buy new series. While the curriculum teams were always different teachers it was always pitched as the latest, improved method and of course would improve test scores. My DD a wiz in math couldn't understand the story problems in 3rd grade for homework. Her Dad a Math Major couldn't understand even what the real question was and they were still learning multiplication and division. Mind Boggling. I read that one out loud at a school board meeting underlining the frustration of parents with homework. Then asked the audience so what is the answer. Without the 'key' they did not have an answer. :banghead: So the professional staff didn't grasp it either. The board always unanimously passed the recommended curriculum but never really found a pattern in test scores to show improvement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom