The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Figgy1

I commute to and from work in a few different ways, depending upon what lines (buses, trains) are running without delays. Most of the time, I commute through a very large city station, and I'm used to seeing transit security, and occasionally, a military soldier standing guard with a rifle. They're all part of the landscape now, and I hardly notice anymore. But today they had a gaggle of Special Ops (elite) transit cops on patrol (some with dogs), and it creeped me out. (You never know if the K-9s are drug sniffing dogs, or explosive devices sniffing dogs.) Couldn't wait to get outta there tonight.
Sympathy like. It was most likely a drill but I'm sure it was unsettling

Goofyernmost

Yep. And before spell check anyhow if you were of the era that Phonics were not taught these students couldn't sound out a word to begin to look the word up and if they were reading and tripped upon a word that they were not familiar with sounding it out didn't happen.

Grammar in my humble opinion is taught too soon along with structure. While some grasp early (I believe early readers) I believe it is taught too young, over their heads and by the time they have enough of a knowledge base they 'hate' grammar lessons already 'cause they were not good at it. I've seen that with math too, so many reasoning and word problems prior to them having a good grasp of math facts and basic practices.
I'm trying to remember what happened in my early years of school. For one thing, we did not have a kindergarten or pre-school. We got all our basic reading and writing skills in 1st grade. And as I recall at the time, if the nuns couldn't convince you with logic they didn't have a problem with beating the point into you.? As far as phonics was concerned we were taught to sound out each letter and put them together when trying to say a word. Which was just exactly how the Phoenicians wanted it when they invented the alphabet. Thank you Phoenicians.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

If Bob Rivers redo his version of 12 pains of Christmas song, he needs to add trying to get proper tracking and get packages from UPS.

My reasoning is how UPS has been for my dad, my younger brother and I this season so far. My dad told me the tracking information has been off. To top it off, they claimed the package will be delivered today Monday, December 4th. The catch is today is Monday, December 3rd, not December 4th:facepalm:.

UPS has been very late delivering packages. The packages have been arriving even at 9:30 at night without ringing the door bell.

Last edited:

21stamps

Don't forget to include a slate for each kid, and a piece of chalk. :p

I told T about one time when I got in trouble for talking in class.. I had to erase the chalkboards as punishment.
He said “Woah. I can’t beleive they didn’t have smartboards in the olden days. You didn’t have any good stuff back then. I feel sorry for those teachers.”

He always refers to my childhood as “the olden days”.. and I always tell him how great it was to not have cell phones and iPads and pandora and yes, even chalkboards.. kids today will never know the sound of a chalkboard screech 😂

21stamps

School boards should go find math books kids were using in the 1800’s and up to 1970. Basic math is no different now then it was then, but if you asked a 9 year old back then to tell you what 48+52 was, they probably could answer it in a few seconds. Now with core, kids have to break everything up into groups of tens and what should take seconds, takes many minutes. :rolleyes::banghead: And that is if they get it at all. :cautious:

Ive literally given a cashier $10.50 when my total is $9.35 and she looked at me like a deer in headlights. Then I stared in horror as I realized she didn’t know how to make the change.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom