The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MySmallWorldof4

I have had a lot to say over the years about being raised Catholic and all that......

What positive thing I can say is those Nuns had a tried and true curriculum. We spent about the first 4 years learning our letters and numbers, basic math facts, learning phonics, learning spelling patterns to learn to read with phonics, add, subtract, multiple, divide. It was the foundation that was dwelled upon as we learned to write in both form of printing and cursive.

Oddly all those years my DD was in speech therapy the very core in the beginning was teaching her phonics to teach sound pronunciation. Those Nuns seemed to know what was most important in curriculum.
Basic knowledge and grasping of it is missing in public schools today. They are trying to combine actual facts with some twisted math logic. Little kids who have just learned that 2 and 2 is 4, cannot grasp the analysis of things that may be taught in a college math major class. Many adults have an issue with that. I got one wrong in my college math placement test and was put in math major calculus freshman year of college. After a week I had to drop it and go into a regular calc class because I just didn't get all the theory that went into it. I was a "give me the facts person". I didn't care how they came up with the logic and theories behind the calculations. Teach me how to use a formula and I am good. These kids are sort of being taught the same thing but dealing with addition, multiplication, etc. What is wrong with the old fashioned "memorize the times table"? The kids nowadays may know how to use computers, and Snapchat, and Youtube, etc., but they are lacking in a basic knowledge base. Glad I homeschool.

MySmallWorldof4

I teared up during the letter writing and the whole adorable process of ‘magically’ printing out his letter, using a giant paper clip to send it over to another elf, then stamped and down the slide to be sent to Santa ❤️
T finally made a Christmas List! And he is the one who wanted to go in Santa’s post office!

View attachment 330215
View attachment 330199View attachment 330200View attachment 330201
Awww. Yay! He has very nice handwriting. His list is pretty small. My ds' list was small too, just 5 things. Sadly one of the items was a VR system that cost $400. :eek:

MySmallWorldof4

Winterfest also had a horse drawn carriage ride this year.. $40. T wanted to skip ice skating tonight and do that instead. I thought, ‘ok it will be a nice ride around probably 2 or 3 sections of the park’ (each area is different themes)..
NOPE. The horse literally goes up a block, turns around, and goes immediately back. It lasted maybe 10 minutes.:mad:
One and Done on that activity.

View attachment 330203View attachment 330204View attachment 330205

The Blue Hot Chocolate and S’mores Hot Chocolate were both delicious! (Good thing as they were $7 each :cautious: )

We went “tubing” down a slide, took a ‘12 days of Christmas’ train ride, and shopped for a few ornaments and decorations at another new area which is all local vendors selling their crafts- I’m thrilled with this addition... And we met some fairies and Jack Frost..and T entered into a TV ;)

View attachment 330206View attachment 330209View attachment 330207

We also found Charlie Brown’s Christmas Tree. :)

View attachment 330208
View attachment 330202
View attachment 330211
View attachment 330210

All in all it was a fun evening.. even the rip off carriage ride.

My kiddo still believes!!!!
Looks like such a wonderful night! That carriage ride was definitely a rip-off. But how great that he still believes. They grow up so quickly, so they should believe in magic for a bit.

MySmallWorldof4

Goofyernmost

I have had a lot to say over the years about being raised Catholic and all that......

What positive thing I can say is those Nuns had a tried and true curriculum. We spent about the first 4 years learning our letters and numbers, basic math facts, learning phonics, learning spelling patterns to learn to read with phonics, add, subtract, multiple, divide. It was the foundation that was dwelled upon as we learned to write in both form of printing and cursive.

Oddly all those years my DD was in speech therapy the very core in the beginning was teaching her phonics to teach sound pronunciation. Those Nuns seemed to know what was most important in curriculum.
The one thing I blanked out of my mind from those days was sentence structure. I don't remember if that was even the name of it. It was when you broke down each word in a sentence in some freaky grid type thing that positioned them as nouns, verbs, pronouns, etc. I hated that and almost always blanked out when it was being taught. In my early years in school I had this thought that I didn't give a rats behind if something was a noun or a spaceship. If the sentence was understandable, that was the core essence of communications. No matter how it was done it enabled to tell someone else what we were trying to convey. Agreeing that punctuation is important in doing that successfully, that I got behind, even though I am guilty of misusing a few of those little , . ! ? " ' : ; the end. Or more likely using to many and putting them in the, wrong places, especially, .... ,'s! :eek:

Last edited:

MySmallWorldof4

The one thing I blanked out of my mind from those days was sentence structure. I don't remember if that was even the name of it. It was when you broke down each word in a sentence in some freaky grid type thing that positioned them as nouns, verbs, pronouns, etc. I hated that and almost always blanked out when it was being taught. In my early years in school I had this thought that I didn't give a rats behind if something was a noun or a spaceship. If the sentence was understandable, that was the core essence of communications. No matter how it was done it enabled to tell someone else what we were trying to convey. Agreeing that punctuation is important in doing that successfully, that I got behind, even though I am guilty of miss using a few of those little , . ! ? " ' : ; the end. Or more likely using to many and putting them in the, wrong places, especially, .... ,'s! :eek:
My kids still learn that. I have to admit that teaching it to them has helped me understand the grammar I was taught in school. I hated it then. Now I don't mind it as much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom