The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

My wife doesn't really wear (very often) the jewelry gifts that I've gotten her in the past that were around the $200 range.....yet if I bought something really nice(meaning expensive) she'd sincerely criticize me for spending too much..."we need that money for other things".
She likes to select her own clothes. She likes and owns every kitchen gadget on the earth. Sigh.....
It is just an annual struggle for me ;)
This probably isn't very helpful, but I buy my own gifts. Christmas is mostly for the kids, but anything we need/want throughout the year, we just get ourselves and then we tend to wrap something up so the kids have something to give us. Has she been hinting at anything? Some sort of splurge that she wouldn't buy for herself, but really wants? Or maybe you could treat her to a night out. Give her a sort of homemade coupon for a date night....dinner and a movie. Or concert tickets to see a band she likes? Or if she's into massages, spas, mani/pedis, you could get her a gift certificate?

My best friend just asked me tonight what I'm getting my husband, because she's at a loss as to what to get for her husband. I couldn't really help her, either.

Songbird76

A gift card to one of her favorite stores might be appreciated. :) Another idea is to check out any shows or concerts that may be upcoming (even in the spring) and buy 2 tickets, so you both can go. A lot of people like show tickets. If she's a spa type of gal, a gift certificate to a nice spa or hair salon might be something she'd enjoy.
I'm seeing a trend here....date night or pampering day. I think maybe your answer lies herein, @SteveBrickNJ ! The women seem to have reached a consensus, and I'm assuming we're all kind of going by what WE would want. Probably not too risky to say your DW might like the same.

SteveBrickNJ

This probably isn't very helpful, but I buy my own gifts. Christmas is mostly for the kids, but anything we need/want throughout the year, we just get ourselves and then we tend to wrap something up so the kids have something to give us. Has she been hinting at anything? Some sort of splurge that she wouldn't buy for herself, but really wants? Or maybe you could treat her to a night out. Give her a sort of homemade coupon for a date night....dinner and a movie. Or concert tickets to see a band she likes? Or if she's into massages, spas, mani/pedis, you could get her a gift certificate?

My best friend just asked me tonight what I'm getting my husband, because she's at a loss as to what to get for her husband. I couldn't really help her, either.
We were shopping at a store today to get a gift for a 9 year old girl. Yet before we made it to the appropriate section for that gift, my wife stopped to admire (and desire) a Christmas Nutcracker figurine. A tall handsome dude. She looked at the price and put it back. I could return to that store and get it.....but if pjs and a spa certificate then it might not be needed. She HAS chosen her own gifts numerous times. So far no. She has a "women's surgery" on Dec 10th so Christmas prep takes on an urgency a little earlier than usual.

donaldtoo

Well, “brake fun” made for an interesting afternoon... :cyclops::hilarious:

Youngest DD wanted to go pick up the parts as she was heading out to run another errand anyway. OK, cool.
I normally pick up parts after I’ve already taken them off the car (or whatever I’m workin’ on) so I can take the old ones in for direct comparison and not end up with the wrong part.
I decided to call the parts store to make sure all the part numbers were correct before I started. I was told ooops the front brake pads were not. Went to exchange them, and because it seemed every local shade tree mechanic in our hood chose to take advantage of the great weather, it took 30+ minutes. :cyclops:

Anyway, when I finally got back, I jacked up the front passenger side and pulled the wheel. The rotor was as smooth as glass (as it looked before pulling the wheel), had no wear lip on the outer edges, and still had plenty of meat on it. :cyclops:
I then unbolted the top brake caliper bolt and loosened the bottom one to let the caliper pivot down and reveal the brake pads...they still had considerably more than half the material needed on them. :cyclops:
No way am I gonna’ change those pads...they just don’t need it.
But, I thought I would replace the rotor anyway in case it was warped (she was noticing brake vibration at higher speed braking).
Cut the top rotor box open and immediately started to chuckle (especially since I was told it was the correct part earlier - only the front pads were wrong)...!!!!! :hilarious: Slots for 5 wheel studs instead of the 6 on her wheels (plus another smaller one for a Torx retainer screw)...!!!!!!! :joyfull:
At that point, I just decided to put it all back together, go exchange out the rotors, and attack it again first thing tomorrow morning...!!! :bored:;)

But, wait, there’s more...!!!!!!! :joyfull:
I called the parts store before going to exchange the rotors to make sure they had the right parts in stock...I was assured they did.
But, when I got there I was told they didn’t have them... :cyclops:
I told her Hector just told me over the phone y’all had them in stock...she found Hector, and Hector exchanged my rotors with profuse apologies (my fault really, as I should have double-checked about the rotors after I knew the front pads were the wrong part earlier :facepalm:).

Brake Fun Saturday...!!!!!!!!!!! :joyfull::hilarious::joyfull:

Ready to attack it again tomorrow...!!!!! ;):)

Last edited:

Songbird76

We were shopping at a store today to get a gift for a 9 year old girl. Yet before we made it to the appropriate section for that gift, my wife stopped to admire (and desire) a Christmas Nutcracker figurine. A tall handsome dude. She looked at the price and put it back. I could return to that store and get it.....but if pjs and a spa certificate then it might not be needed. She HAS chosen her own gifts numerous times. So far no. She has a "women's surgery" on Dec 10th so Christmas prep takes on an urgency a little earlier than usual.
If she's having surgery, she's definitely in need of some pampering. I'd go for something she can use year round, not just a decoration she can only enjoy for a couple of weeks.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Evening everyone! Semi Lazy day today.. as DH and I still aren't feeling good... we did go to Duluth Trading co today. DH found a winter coat he wanted for his Xmas present. So that's done!
{{HUGS}} from a nice safe distance. Yea for finding your dh a coat:joyfull: I told the guys I want a fur coat for Christmas, like that's ever going to happen:rolleyes:

Figgy1

Premium Member
Well, “brake fun” made for an interesting afternoon... :cyclops::hilarious:

Youngest DD wanted to go pick up the parts as she was heading out to run another errand anyway. OK, cool.
I normally pick up parts after I’ve already taken them off the car (or whatever I’m workin’ on) so I can take the old ones in for direct comparison and not end up with the wrong part.
I decided to call the parts store to make sure all the part numbers were correct before I started. I was told ooops the front brake pads were not. Went to exchange them, and because it seemed every local shade tree mechanic in our hood chose to take advantage of the great weather, it took 30+ minutes. :cyclops:

Anyway, when I finally got back, I jacked up the front passenger side and pulled the wheel. The rotor was as smooth as glass (as it looked before pulling the wheel), had no wear lip on the outer edges, and still had plenty of meat on it. :cyclops:
I then unbolted the top brake caliper bolt and loosened the bottom one to let the caliper pivot down and reveal the brake pads...they still had considerably more than half the material needed on them. :cyclops:
No way am I gonna’ change those pads...they just don’t need it.
But, I thought I would replace the rotor anyway in case it was warped (she was noticing brake vibration at higher speed braking).
Cut the top rotor box open and immediately started to chuckle (especially since I was told it was the correct part earlier - only the front pads were wrong)...!!!!! :hilarious: Slots for 5 wheel studs instead of the 6 on her wheels (plus another smaller one for a Torx retainer screw)...!!!!!!! :joyfull:
At that point, I just decided to put it all back together, go exchange out the rotors, and attack it again first thing tomorrow morning...!!! :bored:;)

But, wait, there’s more...!!!!!!! :joyfull:
I called the parts store before going to exchange the rotors to make sure they had the right parts in stock...I was assured they did.
But, when I got there I was told they didn’t have them... :cyclops:
I told her Hector just told me over the phone y’all had them in stock...she found Hector, and Hector exchanged my rotors with profuse apologies (my fault really, as I should have double-checked about the rotors after I knew the front pads were the wrong part earlier :facepalm:).

Brake Fun Saturday...!!!!!!!!!!! :joyfull::hilarious::joyfull:

Ready to attack it again tomorrow...!!!!! ;):)
Translate to English please. But wrong part doesn't sound fun sorry to hear that happened

Figgy1

Premium Member
Sympathy like for her needing surgery. In addition to the jammies I have a serious question to ask. How much of the housework do you do. Be very honest. If you can't tackle it all to her standards what about an early gift of a cleaning service to tackle things for a while she recovers?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom