The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

The only black Friday shopping I did was to order the DFB guide and snack bundle for 50% off. Tonight I get to fill Black Friday orders at work. :arghh: We did over 1300 orders last night in less than 3 hours. I don't even want to think about what's waiting for me tonight!

So, I was looking at the Book of Face, and someone had posted about a planned shooting at a school that was foiled. The name of the school caught my eye because it was where I did my student teaching, in the town next to where I grew up. So I googled the school name, and it came up with that + threat...I clicked, and it came up with a foiled plot at a school with the same name in a different state a month ago. So I assumed it was that and was glad it wasn't the school I knew....and then other people from back home started talking about it and I googled the school name and town, and it turns out that a kid brought 2 guns to school last week, planning to shoot as many kids as he could, starting with a couple of specific people. He showed the guns to a friend and the friend went to a teacher, who confronted the student, and managed to confiscate the guns. It makes me so sad. And how odd is it that 2 schools in different states with the same name have threats of a shooting within a month of each other?

In completely other news, we were talking about bike traffic here...I took a picture of the bike racks at the train station when I picked DS up from school since I go right past there. Well, 2 pictures. (my bike didn't cost as much to fix as I thought. It ended up only being 70 euros, so that's good, though they were an hour and a half late getting it done and I barely made it to pick up DS on time.)

46666564_291782511479047_2175925200606986240_n.jpg
46510400_471057363417987_7960024736929415168_n.jpg

The first picture shows the whole section for bikes. So it's several rows. (where it curves to the left there is where I hit whatever I hit. The woman wanting to cross was on to the left where the sidewalk ended and she was ticked that I had the audacity to be in the bike lane when she wanted to cross) The second picture is the closeup of the spots closest to the station and the path you use to get onto the platform. The whole bike parking section looks like this and you can see a few people have actually parked outside of the designated area because there was no place else. They said on the news this morning that the government is investing a few million into getting even more people to take bikes to work instead of cars, and one of the reasons people don't is because they can't find any place to park their bikes. So some places are going to install special racks that have pull out shelves so there will be multiple layers and you can fit more bikes in....I'm not sure how one gets the bike onto the shelf....no way could I lift my bike up on there, but there must be some way to do it. Anyway, you can see just how many people use bikes as transportation here.

Figgy1

Premium Member
The only black Friday shopping I did was to order the DFB guide and snack bundle for 50% off. Tonight I get to fill Black Friday orders at work. :arghh: We did over 1300 orders last night in less than 3 hours. I don't even want to think about what's waiting for me tonight!

So, I was looking at the Book of Face, and someone had posted about a planned shooting at a school that was foiled. The name of the school caught my eye because it was where I did my student teaching, in the town next to where I grew up. So I googled the school name, and it came up with that + threat...I clicked, and it came up with a foiled plot at a school with the same name in a different state a month ago. So I assumed it was that and was glad it wasn't the school I knew....and then other people from back home started talking about it and I googled the school name and town, and it turns out that a kid brought 2 guns to school last week, planning to shoot as many kids as he could, starting with a couple of specific people. He showed the guns to a friend and the friend went to a teacher, who confronted the student, and managed to confiscate the guns. It makes me so sad. And how odd is it that 2 schools in different states with the same name have threats of a shooting within a month of each other?

In completely other news, we were talking about bike traffic here...I took a picture of the bike racks at the train station when I picked DS up from school since I go right past there. Well, 2 pictures. (my bike didn't cost as much to fix as I thought. It ended up only being 70 euros, so that's good, though they were an hour and a half late getting it done and I barely made it to pick up DS on time.)

View attachment 327666
View attachment 327667

The first picture shows the whole section for bikes. So it's several rows. (where it curves to the left there is where I hit whatever I hit. The woman wanting to cross was on to the left where the sidewalk ended and she was ticked that I had the audacity to be in the bike lane when she wanted to cross) The second picture is the closeup of the spots closest to the station and the path you use to get onto the platform. The whole bike parking section looks like this and you can see a few people have actually parked outside of the designated area because there was no place else. They said on the news this morning that the government is investing a few million into getting even more people to take bikes to work instead of cars, and one of the reasons people don't is because they can't find any place to park their bikes. So some places are going to install special racks that have pull out shelves so there will be multiple layers and you can fit more bikes in....I'm not sure how one gets the bike onto the shelf....no way could I lift my bike up on there, but there must be some way to do it. Anyway, you can see just how many people use bikes as transportation here.
Sympathy like and good luck

Figgy1

Premium Member
I can't "like" that . . .

But if anyone is shopping today, good luck with the crowds.

And here's my yearly plug for alternative shopping (realizing that gifts can come from both big box stores and small independents--depending upon the people on your list) --

Saturday is Small Business Saturday. Please don't forget the smaller shop owners, too.
Thank you I did go to 3 of my favorite small businesses today:inlove: I did the black Friday sales at 2 supermarkets and they were both empty:joyfull::joyfull::joyfull: and we hit one of the box stores which was also empty and grabbed a few of the left over movies, a video game and a few odds and ends for the house. Maybe moving BF to Thanksgiving wasn't a bad idea, no traffic or crowds at all this morning;)

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

View attachment 327666
View attachment 327667

That's funny and here everyone gets their knickers in a knot over a few strollers. I'm sure that happens with bicycle usage from time to time as well, but, wow, that is a lot of bikes.

StarWarsGirl

Well the Surface should come in handy for Grad School. :happy:
Yeah, I went back and forth on it. My current Surface is pretty much only good for watching stuff now, so I was debating getting another Surface or getting an Android tablet. But now that grad school is likely, I started looking at Surfaces. I was looking at the Surface Go, but then when I saw a Pro was available at that price, I went for it.

Probably will use a rewards certificate to buy a pen for my Ultrabook and then I'll be set. Accounting program after all...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom