The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I’m going to lump this with @ajrwdwgirl ’s post because the following is what has me perplexed!

What you described couldn’t be further from my son. He went on an overnight camping trip with a friend’s family last year.. didn’t even want to talk to me when I called! When we’re at an amusement park, sometimes he won’t even let me ride next to him.. either because he wants to ride “alone, like a grown up kid”, OR because another kid talked to him while waiting in line, and they want to ride together.

The thing with him.. is just that he won’t initiate anything! He won’t introduce himself, he will observe kids playing until one asks him to join..and once that happen- he’s completely fine these days! When it doesn’t happen, he’s a little sad.

It’s just that initial meeting... half the time he’ll be playing with them and never ask their names, even after they’ve asked for his. He waits for them to introduce themselves.

Oh, and @dryerlintfan .. I’m so glad that I get to live vicariously thru your adventures with A!! I always thought that I would have a little Disney loving, American Girl loving.. tea parties galore. Funny how life turns out.. and how much fun we can have with the opposite of what we expected. :)

I would find it hard not to put him in the camp if that's the case. But let him know you'll definitely be not to far away if he needs you!

We recently put A into ballet and they don't allow parents in the classroom. She's only gone a couple weeks now, but she's very hesitant at the beginning of class. After a couple minutes though she gets into it and we have to bribe her with an uncrstable just to get her to leave. Because we know she loves it so much, we suffer through the first few minutes where we just want to wrap her in our arms and take her home, lol.

MySmallWorldof4

Opinions/Experiences Please-

Weeklong or Half Week Overnight Summer Camps.. Has anyone sent their kids when younger?

I’m trying to convince T to do one this summer, he is adamantly against it.. but I think it will help so much with his shyness around strangers!!! I KNOW that he will have a great time if he does it.

I’m thinking maybe do a ‘half-week’ camp to see how that goes..but the full week sounds a lot more fun.
I don't have any kids, so I can only share how I reacted as a kid when my parents suggested it, one summer. I freaked out--wanted nothing to do with it. Was a very happy kid at home with my toys and my little pals lived on the street, and we'd always play together.

Somehow, we came to a compromise--I went to a local (town) day camp for maybe 4 weeks in the summer (on 3 weekdays during the week). That was fun because we also had a large town swimming pool, and that was where I spent the majority of my time. They also had an arts and crafts program that I loved. So all that worked out well and I still played with my pals quite a bit, too. Every kid is different and I'm sure he'll tell you if he would like to try it, or if he would hate it. You won't know until you ask, but maybe also have some alternative ideas in case he objects to camp.
What @MinnieM123 said. I would do day camp.

MySmallWorldof4

He’s been in the same summer day camp for the past few years.. I decided to forgo our regular camp this year, and replace it with week by week camps.. signed him up for a week long zoo day camp..weeklong planetarium day camp.. and a museum camp, he chose the science themed week for that one.
But, now he’s saying that he’s nervous.

My parents take him and their other grandchildren together on a 10 day vacay every year.. he’s totally fine on that.

But on our cruise, he literally cried when I took him to sign him up for the kids club.. he wasn’t even staying!! We just had to register on the first day. He never wanted to go, which I didn’t plan on him being there much anyway.. but there was a few events that I thought he would enjoy. “T, you love pirates, do you want to go to Pirate Night?” “No Mom. I don’t want to go without you.” Finally convinced him on that last afternoon to go to the club.. he went, participated in their “Splashtacular” show in the theater.. and LOVED it. I cried as I was videotaping and watching him wave and smile to the crowd.
We went to dinner afterwards, and then he asked to go to the after party from 10pm to 1am “to see his new friends”.

He’s so shy initially, but once he does something, he ends up loving it.

The overnight camp is rock climbing, and kayaking, ropes course, campfires..horseback riding..etc etc.. all things that he loves!!
I feel like a camp like that would really bring him out of his shell. It’s so traditional, no electronics allowed- including phones. Writing letters to your parents. Staying in a cabin with kids and a counselor.. it sounds wonderful! I feel like he would come out of it with a newfound confidence around strangers, that he wouldn’t be as shy afterwards. I don’t know.. :(
He is only just turning 8. I wouldn’t force him.

21stamps

I would find it hard not to put him in the camp if that's the case. But let him know you'll definitely be not to far away if he needs you!

We recently put A into ballet and they don't allow parents in the classroom. She's only gone a couple weeks now, but she's very hesitant at the beginning of class. After a couple minutes though she gets into it and we have to bribe her with an uncrstable just to get her to leave. Because we know she loves it so much, we suffer through the first few minutes where we just want to wrap her in our arms and take her home, lol.

Awww! I bet she’s fine soon after you leave!
T was like that all the way thru preschool.. he would cling to my leg, he’d cry in the car.. and then someone in the office would call me a few minutes after I left, telling me that he’s already completely fine and engaged with the others. There was quite a few morning where I left with tears in my eyes.

The thing that scares me with the camp is if he would really cry and cling to me when I dropped him off.. I don’t know how I could get thru the week or more likely, ‘half week’ being worried if he was adjusting well. I’m not sure if they call, I’ll have to ask about that at open house.

21stamps

He is only just turning 8. I wouldn’t force him.

I know, I know, you’re correct... but I’m going to try to push him in that direction. ;). I honestly wouldn’t push it so much if I didn’t think he would love it.
You are not horrible. You just want your kid and team to do well. As you said you invested a lot of money in this activity. I got annoyed when dd’s cheer practice got canceled because of the 15 unexpected inches we had a couple of weeks ago.

How’s their team doing? Any competitions coming up soon?

Cesar R M

Kids develop and mature in their own time. An overnight camp for me as a kid would have been a disaster. I liked being with my family. You son seems very close to you, so he's probably feeling the same way. Hope you both find a nice compromise.
Agree, As someone who was pushed into these groups.. I can tell you that I HATED IT.

I didn't like being shoved into boy scouts "camp" trips.

(hated as in I swear I stoppde talking to my mom for almost 2 weeks for shoving me on these groups. I didn't mind being shoved every X days to a very close park for normal boy scouts days.. but 3+ days long trips in the middle of nowher? NO F.. WAY.

Goofyernmost

Two of my former students, they were sisters and 2 years apart, would get terrible homesick. They never stayed at a friends' house overnight, when they had to go to church they cried and they were 13 years old (the older one finally went and the other one wouldn't go unless her mom went to camp too, which she did under the guise of helping the camp nurse), and the youngest one almost refused to go to the college she actually wanted to go because it meant not living at home. The parents were perplexed at the girl's attitudes and actually did everything they could to encourage them not to be such homebodies. It seemed crazy to me too. I guess both girls are doing okay now and aren't living at home but really I couldn't wait to get out on my own and explore a little.
I went to a two year college that was in my hometown, my parents couldn't afford anyplace outside of the local area so I was at home during that time, but, I always felt independent even at home. I always told them where I was going and when I would be back and found a way to let them know if I was delayed for any reason (a long time before cell phones, probably smoke signals) That way they never interfered with my plans or even asked beyond something like "where are you headed for". I graduated on the 3rd of June and was on my way to Amarillo, Texas on the 4th for basic training in the Air Force.

I really never expected to go back to live at home from that point on, however, after my time in Vietnam I got stationed about 28 miles from home and since I hated the regiment of the military I opted to move back home for what time I had left in the USAF. About 6 months before I was discharged I got married and left home for good at that point. Never moved back in even after my divorce when I sold the house to split with my wife. I bought a nice Mobile home where I lived by myself for 10 years before moving here to NC. As my mother got older and sickly, she asked if I wanted to move back in with her. I loved my mother, but, I couldn't even picture myself living at home again (that was before I bought the Mobile home). My sister got divorced about that same time and her and her young son did move in and that took care of my mothers needs. I still live by myself even though my Daughters are both within just a few miles of me here in NC.

I do know that homesickness is a biggy. I remember when I was in basic training I was known as the "singing airman" singing cadence for marching and I used to have a song that I sang in the barracks entitled "Remembering Time". Guys that were involved in the very unpleasant chore of basic training could be brought to tears listening. (It just occurred to me that it might have been because I was a terrible singer. :cry:) I know that sounds like something out of an old movie, but, it actually did happen. The late 60's were a menagerie of things strange that happened.

21stamps

Agree, As someone who was pushed into these groups.. I can tell you that I HATED IT.

I didn't like being shoved into boy scouts "camp" trips.

(hated as in I swear I stoppde talking to my mom for almost 2 weeks for shoving me on these groups. I didn't mind being shoved every X days to a very close park for normal boy scouts days.. but 3+ days long trips in the middle of nowher? NO F.. WAY.

Ok see, that’s where I would be hesitant.. but that’s not how he is! Here’s a photo of him from over the summer, going a camping trip without me.. (one night, although it looks like I packed for a month away :hilarious:)
779F6A07-01F0-47B0-BB8E-5AEFA2FAD4A6.jpeg

Not one bit sad!! I had to almost force him to give me ‘one more hug’ before he left. How can a kid be like that with his friends, but be so shy around strangers?!?! I remind him all of the time that at one point- his friends were strangers too!

donaldtoo

Woof! The store got busy after my closer post...I actually had to work...!!!!! :hilarious:
But, I ended up sellin' 3 suits, 2 shirts, 3 ties and a pocket square. Worked with a mom and her prom-attending son for over an hour, and didn't lock the last latch on the second gate 'til 20 mins. after scheduled closing at 9:20p.
But, the owner's gonna' be a happy camper 'cause when I relieved him he told me not to expect to sell anything 'cause it's been pretty dead all day...!!!!! :happy:

donaldtoo

Your mom really knows how to feed people. You may have answered this, but is your dd's upcoming little bundle the first great grandchild?

Thank you so much!!!
It's both mom and pop, actually....!!!!! :happy:

And, yes, the first great grandchild....!!!!!!!!!!! :happy: ;)
I'm the oldest of 4 sibs. 3 boys and a girl.
My next youngest bros son will graduate HS in May. He's the closest to our kiddos in age out of the other 8 grandchildren, so our kiddos are quite a bit older.

Figgy1

I'm sure the northern part of the State I live is going to have bad roads tomorrow with them being slippery. I'm sure school will be canceled up there since there are small villages without any schools. The only way for those kids go to school is by bus/parent dropoff or being homeschooled.

Starting tonight, there will be 8 to 12 inches with a chance of it snowing through 6 in the morning on Wednesday. The winds at some points of this snow storm with be up to 26 miles per hour.
Sympathy like

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom