The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

21stamps

Opinions/Experiences Please-

Weeklong or Half Week Overnight Summer Camps.. Has anyone sent their kids when younger?

I’m trying to convince T to do one this summer, he is adamantly against it.. but I think it will help so much with his shyness around strangers!!! I KNOW that he will have a great time if he does it.

I’m thinking maybe do a ‘half-week’ camp to see how that goes..but the full week sounds a lot more fun.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

Weeklong or Half Week Overnight Summer Camps.. Has anyone sent their kids when younger?

I’m trying to convince T to do one this summer, he is adamantly against it.. but I think it will help so much with his shyness around strangers!!! I KNOW that he will have a great time if he does it.

I’m thinking maybe do a ‘half-week’ camp to see how that goes..but the full week sounds a lot more fun.

I don't have any kids, so I can only share how I reacted as a kid when my parents suggested it, one summer. I freaked out--wanted nothing to do with it. Was a very happy kid at home with my toys and my little pals lived on the street, and we'd always play together.

Somehow, we came to a compromise--I went to a local (town) day camp for maybe 4 weeks in the summer (on 3 weekdays during the week). That was fun because we also had a large town swimming pool, and that was where I spent the majority of my time. They also had an arts and crafts program that I loved. So all that worked out well and I still played with my pals quite a bit, too. Every kid is different and I'm sure he'll tell you if he would like to try it, or if he would hate it. You won't know until you ask, but maybe also have some alternative ideas in case he objects to camp.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

If he's adamant against it, I'd maybe try a day camp instead. Or maybe one of his friends would want him to tag along on a vacation? Or visit a grandparent without you.

21stamps

I don't have any kids, so I can only share how I reacted as a kid when my parents suggested it, one summer. I freaked out--wanted nothing to do with it. Was a very happy kid at home with my toys and my little pals lived on the street, and we'd always play together.

Somehow, we came to a compromise--I went to a local (town) day camp for maybe 4 weeks in the summer (on 3 weekdays during the week). That was fun because we also had a large town swimming pool, and that was where I spent the majority of my time. They also had an arts and crafts program that I loved. So all that worked out well and I still played with my pals quite a bit, too. Every kid is different and I'm sure he'll tell you if he would like to try it, or if he would hate it. You won't know until you ask, but maybe also have some alternative ideas in case he objects to camp.
If he's adamant against it, I'd maybe try a day camp instead. Or maybe one of his friends would want him to tag along on a vacation? Or visit a grandparent without you.

He’s been in the same summer day camp for the past few years.. I decided to forgo our regular camp this year, and replace it with week by week camps.. signed him up for a week long zoo day camp..weeklong planetarium day camp.. and a museum camp, he chose the science themed week for that one.
But, now he’s saying that he’s nervous.

My parents take him and their other grandchildren together on a 10 day vacay every year.. he’s totally fine on that.

But on our cruise, he literally cried when I took him to sign him up for the kids club.. he wasn’t even staying!! We just had to register on the first day. He never wanted to go, which I didn’t plan on him being there much anyway.. but there was a few events that I thought he would enjoy. “T, you love pirates, do you want to go to Pirate Night?” “No Mom. I don’t want to go without you.” Finally convinced him on that last afternoon to go to the club.. he went, participated in their “Splashtacular” show in the theater.. and LOVED it. I cried as I was videotaping and watching him wave and smile to the crowd.
We went to dinner afterwards, and then he asked to go to the after party from 10pm to 1am “to see his new friends”.

He’s so shy initially, but once he does something, he ends up loving it.

The overnight camp is rock climbing, and kayaking, ropes course, campfires..horseback riding..etc etc.. all things that he loves!!
I feel like a camp like that would really bring him out of his shell. It’s so traditional, no electronics allowed- including phones. Writing letters to your parents. Staying in a cabin with kids and a counselor.. it sounds wonderful! I feel like he would come out of it with a newfound confidence around strangers, that he wouldn’t be as shy afterwards. I don’t know.. :(

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
He’s been in the same summer day camp for the past few years.. I decided to forgo our regular camp this year, and replace it with week by week camps.. signed him up for a week long zoo day camp..weeklong planetarium day camp.. and a museum camp, he chose the science themed week for that one.
But, now he’s saying that he’s nervous.

My parents take him and their other grandchildren on a 10 day vacay every year.. he’s totally fine on that.

But on our cruise, he literally cried when I took him to sign him up for the kids club.. he wasn’t even staying!! We just had to register on the first day. He never wanted to go, which I didn’t plan on him being there much anyway.. but there was a few events that I thought he would enjoy. “T, you love pirates, do you want to go to Pirate Night?” “No Mom. I don’t want to go without you.” Finally convinced him on that last afternoon to go to the club.. he went, participated in their “Splashtacular” show in the theater.. and LOVED it. I cried as I was videotaping and watching him wave and smile to the crowd.
We went to dinner afterwards, and then he asked to go to the after party from 10pm to 1am “to see his new friends”.

He’s so shy initially, but once he does something, he ends up loving it.

The overnight camp is rock climbing, and kayaking, ropes course, campfires..horseback riding..etc etc.. all things that he loves!!
I feel like a camp like that would really bring him out of his shell. It’s so traditional, no electronics allowed- including phones. Writing letters to your parents. Staying in a cabin with kids and a counselor.. it sounds wonderful! I feel like he would come out of it with a newfound confidence around strangers, that he wouldn’t be as shy afterwards. I don’t know.. :(

Kids develop and mature in their own time. An overnight camp for me as a kid would have been a disaster. I liked being with my family. You son seems very close to you, so he's probably feeling the same way. Hope you both find a nice compromise.

Goofyernmost

Kids develop and mature in their own time. An overnight camp for me as a kid would have been a disaster. I liked being with my family. You son seems very close to you, so he's probably feeling the same way. Hope you both find a nice compromise.
Reminds me of college. My first year in college they offered a very inexpensive, two week tour of Europe. It covered Portugal, Spain, Italy, France and England. One of the guys on the trip was a Freshman. By the time we got to our second area in Portugal they had to put him on a plane back to the states because he was so homesick. I can understand an 8 year old, but, 18? Really!

21stamps

I know, I have to remember that. It’s just so weird for me because I’ve never been shy. He’s so adventurous, loves trying new things, loves a good adrenaline rush.. we’re so similar that way.. but the initial shyness is something that really holds him back.
Even at 4 years old we’d go to a park.. a group of kids- all strangers to each other, would be playing Tag.. he’d just watch them. Then, if one came over and asked him to play, he’d say “Can my mommy play too?”
He’s not like that all with his friends, only strangers.

Here’s an example- Last year at an overnight museum event, we were there together.. tons of kids and parents.. he observed the kids, I knew he wanted to play with them, but he wouldn’t join in. Then a kid came up to him, said “Hi, I’m David. What’s your name?” T looked at me, then looked at the kid.. then Finally said his name. David said “Cool, T. Nice to meet you, let’s hang out and go see the exhibit together, then we can put our sleeping bags together after.”
They became little bffs immediately, T had a blast, me and David’s Mom watched them and laughed.. we’ve gone on 5 or 6 play dates with them since.
T still talks about that night. It would have been a different experience if that kid wouldn’t have came up to him.

I think we’ll drive down and go to the open house next week, it’s only an hour away. I’ll see if he changes his mind after he sees all of the activities and meets the counselors. I will force him to at least do the Open House, with me by his side.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I know, I have to remember that. It’s just so weird for me because I’ve never been shy. He’s so adventurous, loves trying new things, loves a good adrenaline rush.. we’re so similar that way.. but the initial shyness is something that really holds him back.
Even at 4 years old we’d go to a park.. a group of kids- all strangers to each other, would be playing Tag.. he’d just watch them. Then, if one came over and asked him to play, he’d say “Can my mommy play too?”
He’s not like that all with his friends, only strangers.

Here’s an example- Last year at an overnight museum event, we were there together.. tons of kids and parents.. he observed the kids, I knew he wanted to play with them, but he wouldn’t join in. Then a kid came up to him, said “Hi, I’m David. What’s your name?” T looked at me, then looked at the kid.. then Finally said his name. David said “Cool, T. Nice to meet you, let’s hang out and go see the exhibit together, then we can put our sleeping bags together after.”
They became little bffs immediately, T had a blast, me and David’s Mom watched them and laughed.. we’ve gone on 5 or 6 play dates with them since.
T still talks about that night. It would have been a different experience if that kid wouldn’t have came up to him.

I think we’ll drive down and go to the open house next week, it’s only an hour away. I’ll see if he changes his mind after he sees all of the activities and meets the counselors. I will force him to at least do the Open House, with me by his side.

The Open House is a good idea. And maybe let him just take it all in, and see what he says in days to come. I can't speak for him or anyone else, but I do know that with some people, they need time to process new ideas. You might receive the result you want, if he has a bit of space to think it through. Just my two cents.

21stamps

The Open House is a good idea. And maybe let him just take it all in, and see what he says in days to come. I can't speak for him or anyone else, but I do know that with some people, they need time to process new ideas. You might receive the result you want, if he has a bit of space to think it through. Just my two cents.
Thank you! I appreciate the advice. My siblings and I aren’t shy, never have been, so it’s something that I’m not too familiar with outside of my own child.

21stamps

Reminds me of college. My first year in college they offered a very inexpensive, two week tour of Europe. It covered Portugal, Spain, Italy, France and England. One of the guys on the trip was a Freshman. By the time we got to our second area in Portugal they had to put him on a plane back to the states because he was so homesick. I can understand an 8 year old, but, 18? Really!

Yeah, I can’t relate to that at all. I always knew that I wanted to go away to college, and that I wouldn’t return home after. I love my family, but I loved experiences away from them as well.
However, that’s come full circle when I decided to move my son closer to my family a few years back. In the end, I wanted him to grow up around his cousins and grandparents just like I did...especially my grandfather.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Thank you! I appreciate the advice. My siblings and I aren’t shy, never have been, so it’s something that I’m not too familiar with outside of my own child.

I don't feel qualified to offer any actual advice. I'm just going by my own experiences as a kid, and I also understand some shyness. Not everyone is outgoing, and that's fine, because we need a balance in life with many different types of people. I wish the both of you well.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

Two of my former students, they were sisters and 2 years apart, would get terrible homesick. They never stayed at a friends' house overnight, when they had to go to church they cried and they were 13 years old (the older one finally went and the other one wouldn't go unless her mom went to camp too, which she did under the guise of helping the camp nurse), and the youngest one almost refused to go to the college she actually wanted to go because it meant not living at home. The parents were perplexed at the girl's attitudes and actually did everything they could to encourage them not to be such homebodies. It seemed crazy to me too. I guess both girls are doing okay now and aren't living at home but really I couldn't wait to get out on my own and explore a little.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
@21stamps it seems like you and I got our kids mixed up :hilarious::hilarious: I've got the extroverted princess and you've got the introverted boy.

I agree with @MinnieM123 that kids just develop in different ways. I think the open house is a great idea! But there's nothing wrong with maybe waiting for next year as well. Like mulans dad said, the flowers that open up the latest, have the most beautiful blooms. Or something like that.

21stamps

@21stamps it seems like you and I got our kids mixed up :hilarious::hilarious: I've got the extroverted princess and you've got the introverted boy.

I agree with @MinnieM123 that kids just develop in different ways. I think the open house is a great idea! But there's nothing wrong with maybe waiting for next year as well. Like mulans dad said, the flowers that open up the latest, have the most beautiful blooms. Or something like that.

I’m going to lump this with @ajrwdwgirl ’s post because the following is what has me perplexed!

Two of my former students, they were sisters and 2 years apart, would get terrible homesick. They never stayed at a friends' house overnight, when they had to go to church they cried and they were 13 years old (the older one finally went and the other one wouldn't go unless her mom went to camp too, which she did under the guise of helping the camp nurse), and the youngest one almost refused to go to the college she actually wanted to go because it meant not living at home. The parents were perplexed at the girl's attitudes and actually did everything they could to encourage them not to be such homebodies. It seemed crazy to me too. I guess both girls are doing okay now and aren't living at home but really I couldn't wait to get out on my own and explore a little.

What you described couldn’t be further from my son. He went on an overnight camping trip with a friend’s family last year.. didn’t even want to talk to me when I called! When we’re at an amusement park, sometimes he won’t even let me ride next to him.. either because he wants to ride “alone, like a grown up kid”, OR because another kid talked to him while waiting in line, and they want to ride together.

The thing with him.. is just that he won’t initiate anything! He won’t introduce himself, he will observe kids playing until one asks him to join..and once that happen- he’s completely fine these days! When it doesn’t happen, he’s a little sad.

It’s just that initial meeting... half the time he’ll be playing with them and never ask their names, even after they’ve asked for his. He waits for them to introduce themselves.

Oh, and @dryerlintfan .. I’m so glad that I get to live vicariously thru your adventures with A!! I always thought that I would have a little Disney loving, American Girl loving.. tea parties galore. Funny how life turns out.. and how much fun we can have with the opposite of what we expected. :)

MySmallWorldof4

I sound like a horrible mom. 😂😂

I swear that I’m not!! We’re just already missing one day a week of soccer practice due to baseball conflicts.. (hopefully that won’t hurt him on the next round of tryouts in June.)
These outdoor practices are the first time his team has been practicing in a unit, with his head coach. The more field time T has, the more confident he becomes. I practice with him a lot.. but it’s not a substitute for team play. They really do need to practice together at this age.
You are not horrible. You just want your kid and team to do well. As you said you invested a lot of money in this activity. I got annoyed when dd’s cheer practice got canceled because of the 15 unexpected inches we had a couple of weeks ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom