The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
We went to Barnes and Noble yesterday, mostly because of this conversation. A bought two books and a small toy with her money, and I bought her one book and me one book with mine. We had a lot of fun playing around the store and reading through the different stories to see which ones we'd like. Plus they have the Thomas the Train table there for her, and the Starbucks for me.

I will sorely miss B&N when they inevitably close up shop :(

21stamps

We went to Barnes and Noble yesterday, mostly because of this conversation. A bought two books and a small toy with her money, and I bought her one book and me one book with mine. We had a lot of fun playing around the store and reading through the different stories to see which ones we'd like. Plus they have the Thomas the Train table there for her, and the Starbucks for me.

T used to love the train tables and toys in the kids area!

Check their website to see if they have any Easter events coming up. We’ve attended a reading and then an Easter egg hunt afterwards. I absolutely adore their children’s events. If you sign her up for a kids club card (bonus-it’s free), A will get a cupcake and a discount on a book for her bday every year.

BAChicagoGal

My younger son got married about six years ago, and said they were going to give me more grandchildren. I said, "don't have kids for me". Well now, he is divorced, so I guess it's a blessing no kids came. Too many homes/families/couples are raising kids separately. My one and only grandchild/grandson lived in three homes. Mom's house, dad's house, and grandparents. He has lots of issues to this day because of that.

21stamps

My younger son got married about six years ago, and said they were going to give me more grandchildren. I said, "don't have kids for me". Well now, he is divorced, so I guess it's a blessing no kids came. Too many homes/families/couples are raising kids separately. My one and only grandchild/grandson lived in three homes. Mom's house, dad's house, and grandparents. He has lots of issues to this day because of that.

I am raising a child on my own. It’s our normal. A happy and healthy home, or even split homes between divorced parents, are the most important thing imo. There’s great books available about ‘all different types of families’. Books and conversations can reinforce and reassure a child that all families are different- anything from siblings, parents, grandparents etc.
My son is the greatest blessing I’ve ever received. :)

My kiddo does have ‘his room’ at my parent’s house.. but I had a room at my maternal grandparent’s house when I was young as well, and my parents have been married for 46 years. (I’m the oldest by 3 years on my maternal side, so eventually it wasn’t just my room :(;) ). I loved spending the night there.
Maybe explain to him that it’s just his special area for when he visits, full of his favorite things.
I think the kid’s rooms at grandparent’s is for the sanity of the grandparents..so they can have a designated spot for all of the kids’ junk.. I mean toys. ;)

Last edited:

21stamps

This reminds me of an (unrelated) traffic situation. Years ago, hubs was driving us out in a very rural area in eastern Colorado. We approached a tiny town (as we exited a high speed road); and out of the corner of my eye, I saw a street sign that said 15 mph (sign almost obscured by a huge tree branch). I immediately told hubs, and he slowed to exactly 15. (He grew up in Colorado and was aware of these tricks.)

We went around a corner and the local sheriff was sitting there in his car (just waiting to bag unsuspecting people--a revenue generating scheme if I've ever seen one). He watched us, and hubs dogged the car along at 15 all the way through the main street of town. I'm sure we ruined that sheriff's day! :hilarious:
Another unrelated incident. On our honeymoon, we were driving on a 2 lane road in Idaho. There was a police car in front of us. There was at least 2 car lengths between us. Anyway, the officer told us to pull over. He said we were driving too close to him. Really???? We didn't argue and he let us go. But seriously, how many times have you had a police car follow you so close on a highway, so they could pass, without their flashers on.:rolleyes:

I’ll add one more..

A few of my high school friends attended Ohio University is Athens Ohio.. super small town in the middle of nowhere, but they had the BEST Halloween parties/events.
I would visit from Florida every year during that time.

One of those times, when I was 19 or 20, we were driving to the Columbus airport from Athens. I was driving the car at that time, 3 passengers. Speed limit is ridiculously low on a 2 lane highway. I kept checking my speed because it’s notorious for traps.
Suddenly I get pulled over. I pull to the side, tell the police officer that I had my cruise control on and wasn’t speeding. He says “the helicopter clocked you going 42mph a few miles back.” Speed limit was 35!!!!
Searched my friend’s car, she was hungover, sleeping in the backseat.. asked for all of our ID’s.. didn’t find any alcohol of course, and lectured my friend on underage drinking.. she said that she was just “sick”, but her hangover was obvious. Gave me a speeding ticket and we went on our way.

Not even 10 minutes later I get pulled over again!!! By a different cop!!! Apparently I was going 6 miles over this time.. and he gave me a ticket for Not Wearing a Seat Belt!!! I forgot to put it back on when drove off from the last stop.

3 tickets within a few miles. It’s a record that I hope to never break again. It was so crazy!
Oh, I hate Athens.lol

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
This is something that still annoys me. NO GRANDMAH OR AUNTS I DO NOT WANT KIDS. STOP BUGGING ME.

Noone asked for your unwanted desire for children by pushing me to have something I do not want nor I am interested in.

And sometimes they dare to come with the classy "its just a phase, you will want kids someday"
I don't quite have to deal with that yet. I still have to hear the relationship questions. I didn't date in college; I was too busy, and even now it's not a priority. So I've got relatives trying to set me up. Because 22 and never been in a relationship means something MUST be wrong with you.

MySmallWorldof4

Well if more people do as you, maybe they won’t. :)

21stamps

I don't quite have to deal with that yet. I still have to hear the relationship questions. I didn't date in college; I was too busy, and even now it's not a priority. So I've got relatives trying to set me up. Because 22 and never been in a relationship means something MUST be wrong with you.

Tell them to shush up! This is your time for fun and building your career success. Travel, stay out too late.. work hard, play hard. :). I had absolutely no desire for marriage in my young twenties, or mid twenties., I made a promise to myself that I would wait until I was at least 30. I almost made it., ;)

My friends and fam didn’t bother me about it during my 20s.. but people do bother me now. I’ve completely stopped going to one friend’s dinner parties.. somehow she always finds a random or ‘husband’s coworker from out of town’ every time she invites me. Drove me nuts!!

I haven’t had a desire to date in the past 6 years, I tried once 2 years ago. Realized I just don’t have the time, or mental capacity, or emotional capacity to deal with it. I dated the guy for over a year and never let him meet my child, which obviously created problems in the relationship, I had met his kids and parents. I finally accepted that I’m just not ready, and called it off. Great guy.. definitely a “it’s me, not you” situation.
I still don’t have the desire. I just smirk at the comments I receive... and reply “I’m good as things are, but thanks for your concern.”

My BFF likes to remind me that I “threw away my chance at real happiness!” and “you’re getting older every day!” I just laugh. I am happy.. no one can convince me that I need another marriage to provide ‘happiness’.

Everyone’s different, if we all just do us instead of thinking what’s best for another person, then think how much less annoying comments would be passed between friends and fam.. and the stupid cat memes I receive via text may disappear ;)

Last edited:

MySmallWorldof4

I’ll add one more..

A few of my high school friends attended Ohio University is Athens Ohio.. super small town in the middle of nowhere, but they had the BEST Halloween parties/events.
I would visit from Florida every year during that time.

One of those times, when I was 19 or 20, we were driving to the Columbus airport from Athens. I was driving the car at that time, 3 passengers. Speed limit is ridiculously low on a 2 lane highway. I kept checking my speed because it’s notorious for traps.
Suddenly I get pulled over. I pull to the side, tell the police officer that I had my cruise control on and wasn’t speeding. He says “the helicopter clocked you going 42mph a few miles back.” Speed limit was 35!!!!
Searched my friend’s car, she was hungover, sleeping in the backseat.. asked for all of our ID’s.. didn’t find any alcohol of course, and lectured my friend on underage drinking.. she said that she was just “sick”, but her hangover was obvious. Gave me a speeding ticket and we went on our way.

Not even 10 minutes later I get pulled over again!!! By a different cop!!! Apparently I was going 6 miles over this time.. and he gave me a ticket for Not Wearing a Seat Belt!!! I forgot to put it back on when drove off from the last stop.

3 tickets within a few miles. It’s a record that I hope to never break again. It was so crazy!
Oh, I hate Athens.lol
I will keep Athens off my list of places to visit.

MySmallWorldof4

I was 22 when I had my first real boyfriend. Tell them to leave you alone.

MySmallWorldof4

My BFF likes to remind me that I “threw away my chance at real happiness!” and “you’re getting older every day!” I just laugh. I am happy.. no one can convince me that I need another marriage to provide ‘happiness’
Wow, that is quite mean. You provide your own happiness to yourself. If it so happens you ever find someone they should just add to your happiness, but it should be on your own foundation of joy that you already created on your own.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
We have another winter thingy:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: There is now a good chance for a delay or closing tomorrow. We can lose 2 more days before the school year gets extended. Right now we're down to Good Friday, the Monday after and I think a half day Thursday for Easter vacation:mad::mad::mad:. Plan A the boys were going to go to with the grandparentals for a week, now they may go for the weekend to hit sunrise service. Tonight's dinner groundhog gumbo;)

Blah! We are dry for now and the river is back where it should be but it is 38 degrees feels like 28, 17 mph winds and gray clouds. I had to be outside for a while this morning and I'm chilled to the bone. So I'm sitting down under 2 blankets and staying put here until I thaw out. Hmmm....maybe I'll be making some groundhog gumbo too!?!?!

Florida.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom