The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Wait..so he DID give you a ticket? Or didn't? It looks like something happened halfway through your post and it ate some of the text? But what rotten luck to get pulled over. So do you mean the police have a remote control for the stoplights? That hardly seems ethical!

Hmpf. That did blend a few words together. Sorry. :(

He took my license and I we sat there a good 15 minutes but that was my punishment. He did not give me a ticket. He suggested I go look at what I drove through. He likely thought I didn't understand the intersection which is beyond poorly designed, I was in a different town and a different county so I think he cut me some slack in his eyes anyhow. But I knew what I did and it was not what he saw from sitting in a parking lot but I wasn't going to argue that point if he just gave me my licence back.

Yes all the towns and counties on main roads with stop lights had a white light attached to the pole over the center of the road in 4 directions. Our police, sheriff, fire trucks and ambulances have clickers or auto sensors in some cases. As they get about a block from a major intersection the white light starts to flash to warn motorists and if the emergency vehicle is coming to a light that is RED it will change it to GREEN so the can continue on through to the emergency or hospital. I like the white light, it warns you sometimes especially if windows are closed that something is coming at that intersection.

Gabe1

Don't forget being able to buy extra fp+s at certain resort levels.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Part of the reason my dh says next Florida trip will be UNI, Kennedy and something new

I've heard all the yada yada yada condescending talking down to members spiel that 'Disney is a business and businesses are about profit and if you don't like it don't go.' Well yeah duh, but doesn't mean I should not be ticked off at some of these upcharges. Yeah, I will still go. I will see less, get to participate in less but I'm still annoyed. I understand your hubby and am sorry for you as you also want to stick your big toe into Disney too. I avoid most hard tickets and upcharges but for 20+ years I started with the first Halloween party $15 and a $15 EMH type night and Dixie Landings was $89 a night. Boy I'm old. :joyfull:

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
My dad was reading the paper this morning about the Toys R Us closures. Out of the blue, he says, "Guess this means we'll have to find other toystores to take SWG's kids." He says like I'm not sitting right there. To which I'm like:
maxresdefault.jpg
And I said, "Sorry, but I'm not having kids." Which he completely ignored and started mentioning other places to take my nonexistant children.

Whelp, guess he'll eventually figure it out. Like when I'm forty and there's no kids around.

Gabe1

Please, no, on all of the above. :banghead:

It is going to make it rougher. You were around for the Epcot 5 years ago and AK 5 years ago anniversary. There was absolutely nothing for AK anniversary. There was a local Disney Fan group for AK that pulled some things together for themselves and others wanting to 'mark' the day. Epcot 5 years ago their was a little ceremony. That was it. Back in the Day of Disney is Awesome they put together Mickey's Birthdayland for Everyone to enjoy. They built a freak'n land for Mickey's Birthday Party!!!! That is the Disney I love.

I saw the writing on the wall in April of 2014. We were at Disney for a long trip to celebrate my DD early graduation from College. She double Majored and graduated a semester early,we had lots to celebrate and it was my Birthday. One of the Best trips ever. By fortune (not like our normal luck) we were there for the Big Celebration of Its a Small World. All sorts of Cast as Small World People, etc. It was held in a corner (one of the only parts) that was finished of the new Hub. We scheduled ourselves to be there, to greet the Characters that we'd never likely meet again. To our sorry it was only for the members of the press, the invited website owners, the special bloggers and travel agents. Guests....nothing for you here....They were roped off twice and CMs guarding any spot you might be able to peek in at a 25 foot distance. I saw that night the awesome photos of the event. I was there, a stone throw away and sorry you are not invited, move along please. :mad:

Last edited:

Gabe1

I've seen that image in my house but in male.

A version of Lily was my DD. Can I tell you how many versions of booklights she had over the decades. Once while we were almost to the bus stop to drop her off to go back to her university and she realized she forgot her booklight. Without that how could she work on her homework. (most students just played with their iPhones) Yes we paid a boatload of money at Walgreens to buy a booklight.

donaldtoo

Oh, and one other thing...
Oldest DDs pregnancy is still going very well. We are so excited and so are they. She's having a bit of morning sickness from time to time, but, she is still healthy otherwise. Her and I speak on the phone every day, she calls or I call her, and we just connect. No matter how old she is, she'll always be my Megan Punkin' and she has always said she's her daddies girl...!!!!!!! :happy:
As I've posted before, I love all our children with all my heart, but, sometimes there is just a slightly more special bond with one.
You could never get me to choose between them though, I would rather my own life be taken. Unfortunately, True love is unexplainable to many.
I are out, y'all be cool...!!!!!!!!!!! ;) :happy:

Gabe1

My dad was reading the paper this morning about the Toys R Us closures. Out of the blue, he says, "Guess this means we'll have to find other toystores to take SWG's kids." He says like I'm not sitting right there. To which I'm like:
View attachment 269742
And I said, "Sorry, but I'm not having kids." Which he completely ignored and started mentioning other places to take my nonexistant children.

Whelp, guess he'll eventually figure it out. Like when I'm forty and there's no kids around.

Oh I wish I could have been the fly on the wall for that! How funny. I make zero comments about grandchildren. Neither of my kids are keen on kids of their own currently and they are both in that age demographic, him even more than her. I so respect that. If it isn't you thing, I'm not going to go there. I love little babies but babies are not for everyone and they don't stay babies and they are lots of work and very expensive. So many parents don't stay couples making things very complicated so everyone best be all in bringing a bundle into the world and be prepared for a multitude of reasons why you could be raising the kid on your own and a backup plan to do so. I have no regrets in our decision to have the two we have they are my rocks and I love them dearly. Still I look at many that do not have kids and see how differently their life has been and respect their choice and the things they have been able to do without the responsibilities of kids. I am their cheerleader too. You know yourself. I admire that.

Gabe1

Oh, and one other thing...
Oldest DDs pregnancy is still going very well. We are so excited and so are they. She's having a bit of morning sickness from time to time, but, she is still healthy otherwise. Her and I speak on the phone every day, she calls or I call her, and we just connect. No matter how old she is, she'll always be my Megan Punkin' and she has always said she's her daddies girl...!!!!!!! :happy:
As I've posted before, I love all our children with all my heart, but, sometimes there is just a slightly more special bond with one.
You could never get me to choose between them though, I would rather my own life be taken. Unfortunately, True love is unexplainable to many.
I are out, y'all be cool...!!!!!!!!!!! ;):happy:

A sweet thought. :inlove: Happy she is well.

Gabe1

Yah, that's a tricky one. Like you said, first responders can change traffic lights on a dime, and you didn't do anything wrong. I've seen lights switched plenty of times around here (i live not far from a major highway and a few hospitals, so ambulances, etc. are often flying through), but I never saw anyone pulled over. :facepalm: Sounds like a bit of an over jealous cop. At least he backed off and let you go.

In the end he did back off but he was kind of like the hunter before they kill bambi's mom. It is such a strange intersection that nobody really understands and it happens every 5 minutes there cause it is really a horrid design.

That Firehouse is new and divided by a shared Police/Fire station exit and a strip mall light exit, it should have never been built like that about 10 years ago. Worse, the area in front of the station is striped. So you know not to stop there. The area closer to the second light it not striped and will allow space for one car in each lane to stop at the white line. So the Lights and striping are in conflict along with a double set of lights for one intersection. I was already in the non striped area when the ambulance started coming and the white light went on. My guess is when he finally ran my license and saw zip he decided it might be a difficult sell in court given the stupid design and my record and the dude sitting in a lot not having a sight line to see it all coming down. At least he did the right thing in the end and I was happy he was at least nice and polite about it all.

Gabe1

This part I agree with, once T started early learning at age 1.. I specifically chose a school that integrated sign language, because we signed at home. It was cute, we had to purchase “school bags” from the school, and the kids came home with rings of words they were learning, as well as the signs. I can’t rave enough about his teachers there.

But once we switched to preschool/PreK, ages 3-5.. it was nuts. Homework at age 3 was crazy to me..BUT, I was on the bandwagon that we had to do this to get into kindergarten! And my kid was going to have an advantage in life!
Fast forward til now, I don’t think it matters that he could read at age 3..or that he had science and geography at that age. They all learn the same subjects now, kids got into his same kindergarten who went to different preschools.
Like I said, at the time I thought it was great. He does well in school, but I can’t say it’s because of the PreSchool/PreK days..example- Kindergarten in geography-when they did the continents, great, he knew them already, but he’s just repeating the exact thing that he already did 2 years before.. so I’ve asked myself in hindsight, was it necessary? Looking back, and looking forward to his future, I would have been better off choosing a different path, and put half the money in his high school fund where I think it will make more of a difference.

I’m friends with a married couple who’s daughter is 6 months old, they’re arguing over preschool enrollment right now, ongoing argument for the past 3 months.. husband thinks the amount of the school she wants is crazy, wife thinks it’s necessary to be in that specific school. I’ve gave them my thoughts on it- Find a happy median. There are plenty of schools that have teachers with early education degrees, I definitely wouldn’t choose any less...but not all are strict curriculum/homework/shocking tuitions. Parents shouldn’t need to make that decision and get on wait lists for their child during infancy, and I’ve yet to see any proof of kids having a major advantage.. even though they “sell” us on the promise that they will. (I should add that he was happy at his preschool, so was I..this is all in retrospect)

That’s just my personal thoughts/regrets when looking back now that he’s been in elementary school for a couple of years. Hindsight is always 20/20 I guess.;)

See I am a believer that you can't beat yourself up for the choices you make for your child in the moment. We all make choices for our kids whether we admit to them or not. I've always owned what I have done. Some do not.
Don't feel bad about picking the very best you can for your kid, being a role model for your child is an awesome thing for them to look up to and so many follow in the footsteps of what their Mom or Dad. You picked the very best for your child. Be proud of your wishes for him. As they grow they know you want them to be the very best they can be and accomplish everything they can. It is a clear message of faith. You followed what you were taught from young with your child. Your folks had goals for you and you have goals for your child. I admire that.

Here is some data so you stop second guessing yourself.

Children more likely to succeed academically if parents believe they're college bound
By Amy Albin, UCLAThursday, January 22, 2015

Numerous studies have shown that socioeconomic factors play a major role in students’ success in kindergarten. Children whose parents are more educated and have better jobs and higher incomes tend to have stronger math and reading skills than their peers.

Now, a study by researchers from UCLA and the American Academy of Pediatrics shows that the factors influencing children’s readiness for kindergarten include not only whether they attend preschool, but also their families’ behaviors, attitudes and values — and that parents’ expectations go a long way toward predicting children’s success throughout their schooling.
“The big surprise was what a strong role parents’ long-term goals for their children played in predicting their math and reading abilities,” said Dr. Neal Halfon, the study’s senior author and director of the UCLA Center for Healthier Children, Families and Communities.
The research appears in the February issue of the journal Pediatrics.
Halfon, who is also a professor of pediatrics, public health and public policy, said the study is the first to examine how socioeconomic status is associated with a wide variety of factors that impact a young child’s math and reading abilities by kindergarten.
“Parents who saw college in their child’s future seemed to manage their child toward that goal irrespective of their income and other assets,” he said.

Cesar R M

View attachment 269742

This is something that still annoys me. NO GRANDMAH OR AUNTS I DO NOT WANT KIDS. STOP BUGGING ME.

Noone asked for your unwanted desire for children by pushing me to have something I do not want nor I am interested in.

And sometimes they dare to come with the classy "its just a phase, you will want kids someday"

Cesar R M

It is going to make it rougher. You were around for the Epcot 5 years ago and AK 5 years ago anniversary. There was absolutely nothing for AK anniversary. There was a local Disney Fan group for AK that pulled some things together for themselves and others wanting to 'mark' the day. Epcot 5 years ago their was a little ceremony. That was it. Back in the Day of Disney is Awesome they put together Mickey's Birthdayland for Everyone to enjoy. They built a freak'n land for Mickey's Birthday Party!!!! That is the Disney I love.

I saw the writing on the wall in April of 2014. We were at Disney for a long trip to celebrate my DD early graduation from College. She double Majored and graduated a semester early,we had lots to celebrate and it was my Birthday. One of the Best trips ever. By fortune (not like our normal luck) we were there for the Big Celebration of Its a Small World. All sorts of Cast as Small World People, etc. It was held in a corner (one of the only parts) that was finished of the new Hub. We scheduled ourselves to be there, to greet the Characters that we'd never likely meet again. To our sorry it was only for the members of the press, the invited website owners, the special bloggers and travel agents. Guests....nothing for you here....They were roped off twice and CMs guarding any spot you might be able to peek in at a 25 foot distance. I saw that night the awesome photos of the event. I was there, a stone throw away and sorry you are not invited, move along please. :mad:
I guess most people should open a "blog". I mean if those mommy bloggers with barely 2-3 watchers a month can get exclusive events, anyone can.
baffles your mind they waste so much money on these groups and leave the real fans out.

Figgy1

View attachment 269742

Next time he starts bugging you I'll send down a class of 3 year olds with ADHD. That should fix him. ;)

Figgy1

A version of Lily was my DD. Can I tell you how many versions of booklights she had over the decades. Once while we were almost to the bus stop to drop her off to go back to her university and she realized she forgot her booklight. Without that how could she work on her homework. (most students just played with their iPhones) Yes we paid a boatload of money at Walgreens to buy a booklight.
A couple of black Fridays ago somebody had the ones that strap onto the head for a dollar so me being me I bought a bag full. Some for my dh working on whatever, some for James to read by and a few put aside in case of a power outage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom