The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

21stamps

My husband is the reader in our family, and he used to visit Barnes & Noble a lot. Now he buys books online, and at Target. I have a lot of books in my house. My husband buys a book, and then wants to keep it forever. We are running out of ideas/places on where to put all these books.
I’m so sad that I don’t have built ins in my house now.. it’s probably the thing I miss the most about my old house.

21stamps

I sit there talking with my daughters, currently 43 and 41 years old. Grown up, parenting, dealing with life and the world with calmness and clear thinking, and flash back to the baby years, the toddler years, the young child years, the teenage years, the college years and it all seems surreal now. I know it happened, I even have pictures, but, those two cannot be the same people. They just can't be. If it is possible I love them more then I did when they were born. I'm proud of what they have become even at the times when they forget that I am Dad and that I know everything. They even have the audacity to disagree.... out loud. Can you imagine? We sometimes get so involved with the process that we don't really see until much later what has been accomplish, by them, without our help.

They, like we ourselves did, have reached the point where they no longer need us in any tangible sense, but, we need them to need us because being a parent is a life time commitment. We must always be there for them from a distance. Hurts sometimes until we remember that our purpose was to teach them to be able to survive without us. If they can, we did our job and we did it well.

From the first time I entered the likes of Barnes and Noble or Borders my first thought was 'how do you make money allowing people to act like this is a library'. Comfortable furniture, coffee bar where you can sit there and read books and never have to buy any? Higher prices to those that actually did buy them to me was never a formula for long term success. It brought people in and except for the cost of coffee, they never really gained anything. So A, T, & WW. could sell for less money because they didn't have massive overhead that was connected to it. The words on the pages of the books were the same no matter where they were purchased. Cities or county's should step in and acquire those building, already set up like libraries and make them exactly that. Municipal Library's.

I was never as big of a Borders fan as B&N, I had both within 1 block of me which I always thought was weird. Both were always crowded, and I did see a lot of people buying books.. it’s a great place to relax and read..and drink good coffee. :). Borders going out of business was a huge disappointment to me, even though I didn’t spend a ton of time there.. watching several B&N locations close down over the past few years has been sad as well.. but I do think there is still enough of a market for the physical B&N locations.
They used to have a thing call “Barnes and Noble University” that was awesome. Kind of like a book club.: I wish they would bring that back. They have newly brought back book clubs which is great.
The store locations have activities and readings throughout the year..

Like I said, I think there’s still enough people who want that. B&N was never meant to be just about ordering a book. More like a library.. but not free. ;)

Last edited:

21stamps

A's first ballet class in three acts:

Scene one: I'm going to stand by Mommy and stare at everyone else like a creeper....

Scene two: ......Cannot...... Resist..... The..... Parachute........

Scene three: Mom??! Mom, who?!??! Do ballerinas even need moms??!?

View attachment 269455

Love love love!!!! So, I’m reading that she loved it too? Did you guys sign up for classes?

Cesar R M

Have a magical time!!

I haven’t been on RCCL since before my son was born. 4500-5000 passenger is about the largest I want to do.. perfect size imo. The Quantum ships look amazing., but I keep leaning NCL for the ropes course on a few of their ships. I’m one of the few people who could care less about the Bliss and the race car track.
My son is asking/begging repetitively to go on Symphony of the Seas. We will go on RCCL at some point.. but I don’t think it will be on one of the obscenely large ones.
Its not that bad.. the only times I felt the "crowds" was in certain hours (10am to 11am) in the windjammer. aka the breakfast buffet and lunch buffet.

Also in the last days shows (CATS and Oasis of Dreams were both packed, also the royal promenade during the goodbye dreamworks show and the "sales" of watches and gifts before hitting towns like Sint Maarten).

Apart from that didn't felt THAT crowded.

Infact, I felt the same crowd feel in the Disney Wonder during parties and the buffet restaurant.

What I liked about the Oasis class, is the separation of areas, some were very quiet, like the "Central Park". its pretty quiet. Most people are in the top center of the ship or the Promenade during sea days.

*edit*

I still need to check the Quantum class, havent been there.

but my mom sure as hell loved the OASIS, I did as well.

21stamps

Its not that bad.. the only times I felt the "crowds" was in certain hours (10am to 11am) in the windjammer. aka the breakfast buffet and lunch buffet.

Also in the last days shows (CATS and Oasis of Dreams were both packed, also the royal promenade during the goodbye dreamworks show and the "sales" of watches and gifts before hitting towns like Sint Maarten).

Apart from that didn't felt THAT crowded.

Infact, I felt the same crowd feel in the Disney Wonder during parties and the buffet restaurant.

What I liked about the Oasis class, is the separation of areas, some were very quiet, like the "Central Park". its pretty quiet. Most people are in the top center of the ship or the Promenade during sea days.

Is Symphony in the Oasis class? I can’t remember.. I definitely want to try one..I’m just intimidated by the 6k plus passengers.lol. That said, I was also intimidated the first time that I did a 4K + passenger, and it didn’t feel at all as crowded as I feared.

donaldtoo

Can you just imagine the things they must share about you without your knowledge? It was like at my grandparents when I was young. Whenever they wanted to say something they didn't want us to hear, they reverted to French. We all knew that it must have been really interesting, but, had no way of knowing for sure.

Short yardwork break...

Hahaaa...!!! :hilarious:
Dosen't matter, they still all claim to love me, at least, and I'm still married and wearin' that gold band...!!!!! :joyfull: :happy:
And, as I've posted before, my folks always spoke Czech around us when we were kiddos if they didn't want us to know what they were talking about! I know enough Czech to tell people to stick it, or politely greet them, but, that's about it. My folks however, again speak it very fluently.
I just know I'm loved by the most important people in my life, so it really doesn't matter how people talk about me behind my back, or about me in a different language that I don't understand, in front of my back...!!!!! :hilarious:

StarWarsGirl

Same!

I'm looking at you @StarWarsGirl ;)
Hey, I just have the system worked. :p Pass only cost $550, hotel is free since I stay with my parents, and my airfare is usually about $100 each way thanks to living in Baltimore and having Southwest. Disneyland, we did the same thing. APs, went twice in one year, and the airfare still wasn't bad. I'm not drowning in money; I'm just smart.

Cesar R M

Is Symphony in the Oasis class? I can’t remember.. I definitely want to try one..I’m just intimidated by the 6k plus passengers.lol. That said, I was also intimidated the first time that I did a 4K + passenger, and it didn’t feel at all as crowded as I feared.
Oasis, Allure, Symphony and Harmony are the OASIS class. the symphony being the newest.

Quantum, Anthem and Ovation are the Quantum class ships. Spectrum is under building and will be released on 2019.

Oasis and Allure are identical.

Harmony is larger and has a few more things (like the slide in the back of the ship).

Symphony is even larger and contain 2 more slides than the Harmony.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom