The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

21stamps

Rant starts here * I have 4 people out already today, all with very good reasons. And then I get a text that someone can't make it, because her husband took her keys this morning. What I really want to say is you are a grown @$$ woman. Figure it out. What I am doing is waiting until I can text her back to say OK, see you Monday! That is what her other supervisor sent. ( yeah, she is not showing up for 2 schools, and she works a bus route.) Right now, I can't do that without feeling physically ill.

Okay rant over. Thank you all for letting me vent.
Send her the links to the Uber and Lyft apps.
;)

That’s crazy though, I understand being late.. but you can’t come in at all?!

Songbird76

Verbal abuse is not acceptable. Not at all.
On the other hand, we had a coach over the Fall who’s first introductory email said “This is about fun and not winning or losing. Please tell your children that a win or loss doesn’t matter.”
What?!?! No, I will never say that to my child.
Play your best, always, sometimes you’ll lose, but it’s never ok to go into a season with a “doesn’t matter” mindset. Our team was horrible.. she rarely corrected the kid’s mistakes.. she was seriously the worst coach I’ve ever seen in my life. After every loss she would say “Great job, boys!” Never any constructive criticism as to what they could actually do differently. It was miserable. That’s the main reason that myself and another mom from that team coached the next season. You can give direction, and have fun, while still improving.. and guess what- the kids get excited when they improve, when they win. It’s not fun to continually lose. It’s also not acceptable to berate them when they do lose. They have to accept a loss the same way they can accept a win.. for sure.

I hope I don’t sound like the crazy parent who screams on the sidelines. ;)

Edited to add- There’s a big complaint about kids leaving school sports to play on club teams and the pressure that goes along with it.. also complaining that the club teams are ruining school sports. A few months ago (after that season) I was at an athletic club meeting at our school and gave my 2 cents.. when you have participation trophy parents coaching, then you’re going to see more kids drop out of school sports and play elsewhere.
The sad thing about it, is there’s a lot of kids in the middle, who maybe won’t make a club team.. or maybe the family can’t do the time requirements of it..., but they still want to play..really want to play.. We have to make sure that our coaches are helping those kids.. not just letting them run around on a soccer field.. especially when they’re paying dues and per sport fees.. a kid can run around with a ball for free. Same applies to baseball or any other sport. Football is the only one that people really aren’t leaving, at least not for those reasons.
No I totally get what you're saying, and you're absolutely right about asking kids to do their best. And of course everyone has good days and bad days...there will be days when the kid just really doesn't want to put in the effort, and that's when you remind them about their commitment and their responsibility to the team. But I didn't get the impression that that's what we were talking about at all...I don't consider that pressure to win or to be the best...that's just part of the discipline. It's the kid who is paying hundreds of dollars and the coach doesn't give the kid the opportunity to learn, but makes them feel bad because maybe they aren't the best on the team. My DS LOVED soccer....wanted to play so badly. We made him learn swimming first, because in a country where half the land is UNDER the sea level, it's a skill they need to know. He was SO excited when he got his swimming diploma because he could FINALLY play soccer. The first year, they had an AWESOME coach...this guy was soooo good at giving them tips and tricks and emphasizing that it was a TEAM sport and we have to support our TEAM...we don't get mad at someone because they made a mistake, we use that mistake and we learn from it so we don't make that mistake again. And we HELP our teammates. There was a kid who, admittedly was head and shoulders above the others...he probably should have been on the A team, but he would get frustrated when someone didn't do as well, and he'd try to take over their position. He'd be getting in the way of his own teammate trying to be the one to get the ball so he could score, because he didn't think anyone stood as much chance at scoring. He wouldn't pass to a teammate who was open even though we had a couple kids who were pretty decent at offense. The coach was constantly reminding him he didn't have to do it all on his own, that's why he had a team. The coach was just really great, and they did pretty well. They started winning so much that they put them up a level so they were playing tougher teams. He quit the next year...club politics, and this other guy took over and man...he'd SCREAM at the kids. They were 6-8 year olds and he's screaming at them. Parents started complaining. DS played in the back, IF he got to play. But the coach wouldn't ever put him in because he wasn't the best player. We were paying hundreds of dollars for him to learn to play soccer, and all he did was sit on the sidelines. So he asked to be goalie...at least he'd get to play, and no one else wanted to be goalie. But the coach spent all his time training them on how to get the ball and score, so DS wasn't getting anything out of it. Then they'd play this " game" where DS was one whole team and the rest of the kids were the other team. They all took turns kicking a penalty shot...whichever " team" missed 10 first, had to run around the field. And they'd play this over and over and over...and it was always DS doing the running while the rest of the team laughed that he had to run again, and he didn't get any instruction to make him better. The kids only had to kick 2 or 3 times, but DS had to save every single one. He'd come home exhausted and frustrated. Then they'd get to the game, and the coach would put someone else in as goalie, even though they didn't want to be, and DS got to sit on the side again. In one game, they were ahead by one point, the coach put DS in, (not as goalie) and the other team scored within 30 seconds and he pulled DS right out again, because now they were tied and he needed his GOOD players out there. DS had barely had time to get onto the field before he was pulled and it was explained to him that he wasn't good enough to play. DH made a comment once because at the end of every game, the kids all get to do a penalty kick, both teams. The other team was really good and they had a goalie who was obviously a lot older than the rest of the kids...since they are a kids club, sometimes, if one team was short players, they'd pull players from another team to fill the spots. This kid was quite a bit older, and while, for his age, he was pretty average, he stood out among the kids who were 2-3 years younger than him. And our coach made a comment when the kid saved a couple of balls, that "that shows some experience! He knows what he's doing!" and my husband said "OR it shows he's had some good training!" and our coach just grumbled "Oh....yeah". The thing is, that at that age, it SHOULDN'T be all about winning. It SHOULD be about fun, and learning...not just learning the sport, but learning about responsibility and commitment, and teamwork. This wasn't a selective team...anyone could join if they paid a couple of hundred bucks for it...you're right....anyone can kick a ball around for free. But we were paying for them to TEACH him, and the coach wasn't worried about actually coaching him because he wasn't the star player...only the star players got the instruction. And THAT is where they failed. It's different in a situation like your son, where he was given a spot on the team because of his skill, and it's not a community sport where everyone gets to play. These coaches want to say they coached the next Messi, and they put all the effort into the kid they think has the most potential to do that, and the rest of the kids pay for nothing, and are told they can't play because they aren't good enough. DS got to the point where he came home in tears every time he had practice or a game, because again, he didn't get training, again he had to sit on the side, and the only thing he got to participate in was the " game" in which he had to run laps around the field while everyone jeered at him for being the worst player. He now plays chess instead. He doesn't win every time, but at least he doesn't have to feel bad about himself for it. I guess what I'm trying to say is, there's a difference between pushing to win, and being encouraging. You don't have to put the pressure on them to win...you can still have fun without winning every game, but you also have to be understanding of the fact that not every kid is going to be a pro athelete, and that's not why they're there. Sometimes, it's ok for it to be just about fun, at least when it's the team that anyone can join. If you're in an elite team, that's somewhat different, but for kids who just joined to have fun and learn to play, it doesn't need to be about trying to be the star, and they shouldn't be made to feel bad because they aren't a natural talent. It doesn't make them less deserving of a good experience and it doesn't make learning the lessons of discipline and teamwork and sportsmanship less important for them, if that makes sense? I'm not a "everyone gets a trophy!" parent by a long shot. But I am a "Just do your best. No one can ask more of you than that" parent, and not a "your best isn't good enough" parent.

Sorry...that was really long!

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
No I totally get what you're saying, and you're absolutely right about asking kids to do their best. And of course everyone has good days and bad days...there will be days when the kid just really doesn't want to put in the effort, and that's when you remind them about their commitment and their responsibility to the team. But I didn't get the impression that that's what we were talking about at all...I don't consider that pressure to win or to be the best...that's just part of the discipline. It's the kid who is paying hundreds of dollars and the coach doesn't give the kid the opportunity to learn, but makes them feel bad because maybe they aren't the best on the team. My DS LOVED soccer....wanted to play so badly. We made him learn swimming first, because in a country where half the land is UNDER the sea level, it's a skill they need to know. He was SO excited when he got his swimming diploma because he could FINALLY play soccer. The first year, they had an AWESOME coach...this guy was soooo good at giving them tips and tricks and emphasizing that it was a TEAM sport and we have to support our TEAM...we don't get mad at someone because they made a mistake, we use that mistake and we learn from it so we don't make that mistake again. And we HELP our teammates. There was a kid who, admittedly was head and shoulders above the others...he probably should have been on the A team, but he would get frustrated when someone didn't do as well, and he'd try to take over their position. He'd be getting in the way of his own teammate trying to be the one to get the ball so he could score, because he didn't think anyone stood as much chance at scoring. He wouldn't pass to a teammate who was open even though we had a couple kids who were pretty decent at offense. The coach was constantly reminding him he didn't have to do it all on his own, that's why he had a team. The coach was just really great, and they did pretty well. They started winning so much that they put them up a level so they were playing tougher teams. He quit the next year...club politics, and this other guy took over and man...he'd SCREAM at the kids. They were 6-8 year olds and he's screaming at them. Parents started complaining. DS played in the back, IF he got to play. But the coach wouldn't ever put him in because he wasn't the best player. We were paying hundreds of dollars for him to learn to play soccer, and all he did was sit on the sidelines. So he asked to be goalie...at least he'd get to play, and no one else wanted to be goalie. But the coach spent all his time training them on how to get the ball and score, so DS wasn't getting anything out of it. Then they'd play this " game" where DS was one whole team and the rest of the kids were the other team. They all took turns kicking a penalty shot...whichever " team" missed 10 first, had to run around the field. And they'd play this over and over and over...and it was always DS doing the running while the rest of the team laughed that he had to run again, and he didn't get any instruction to make him better. The kids only had to kick 2 or 3 times, but DS had to save every single one. He'd come home exhausted and frustrated. Then they'd get to the game, and the coach would put someone else in as goalie, even though they didn't want to be, and DS got to sit on the side again. In one game, they were ahead by one point, the coach put DS in, (not as goalie) and the other team scored within 30 seconds and he pulled DS right out again, because now they were tied and he needed his GOOD players out there. DS had barely had time to get onto the field before he was pulled and it was explained to him that he wasn't good enough to play. DH made a comment once because at the end of every game, the kids all get to do a penalty kick, both teams. The other team was really good and they had a goalie who was obviously a lot older than the rest of the kids...since they are a kids club, sometimes, if one team was short players, they'd pull players from another team to fill the spots. This kid was quite a bit older, and while, for his age, he was pretty average, he stood out among the kids who were 2-3 years younger than him. And our coach made a comment when the kid saved a couple of balls, that "that shows some experience! He knows what he's doing!" and my husband said "OR it shows he's had some good training!" and our coach just grumbled "Oh....yeah". The thing is, that at that age, it SHOULDN'T be all about winning. It SHOULD be about fun, and learning...not just learning the sport, but learning about responsibility and commitment, and teamwork. This wasn't a selective team...anyone could join if they paid a couple of hundred bucks for it...you're right....anyone can kick a ball around for free. But we were paying for them to TEACH him, and the coach wasn't worried about actually coaching him because he wasn't the star player...only the star players got the instruction. And THAT is where they failed. It's different in a situation like your son, where he was given a spot on the team because of his skill, and it's not a community sport where everyone gets to play. These coaches want to say they coached the next Messi, and they put all the effort into the kid they think has the most potential to do that, and the rest of the kids pay for nothing, and are told they can't play because they aren't good enough. DS got to the point where he came home in tears every time he had practice or a game, because again, he didn't get training, again he had to sit on the side, and the only thing he got to participate in was the " game" in which he had to run laps around the field while everyone jeered at him for being the worst player. He now plays chess instead. He doesn't win every time, but at least he doesn't have to feel bad about himself for it. I guess what I'm trying to say is, there's a difference between pushing to win, and being encouraging. You don't have to put the pressure on them to win...you can still have fun without winning every game, but you also have to be understanding of the fact that not every kid is going to be a pro athelete, and that's not why they're there. Sometimes, it's ok for it to be just about fun, at least when it's the team that anyone can join. If you're in an elite team, that's somewhat different, but for kids who just joined to have fun and learn to play, it doesn't need to be about trying to be the star, and they shouldn't be made to feel bad because they aren't a natural talent. It doesn't make them less deserving of a good experience and it doesn't make learning the lessons of discipline and teamwork and sportsmanship less important for them, if that makes sense? I'm not a "everyone gets a trophy!" parent by a long shot. But I am a "Just do your best. No one can ask more of you than that" parent, and not a "your best isn't good enough" parent.

I think "just do your best" is good, but I also think kids need to understand that they have the power to do better. Disappointed that kid won and you didn't? "It's okay, you did your best" isn't as effective as "It's okay, you did your best, and if you keep practicing those footwork drills, then next time you'll do better". Just my two cents.

Figgy1

My kid has missed 6-9 school days per year for vacations, so I’m with ya there! :)

The way it was explained is that parents are not allowed to do or mostly do their children’s reports.. we have to let it be their idea, we can provide a little direction, but the goal is for the kids to be in charge... to do the typing, choose the resources, understand the programs their using, etc. the “pledge” is just a formality to agree that we won’t be overbearing.

Even outside of the classroom in something like Cub Scouts, it is highly noticeable when the parents are the ones who made their son’s Pinewood Derby car.. maybe the kid put a sticker or painted a little of the base.
I make my boys do all their own work. That being said if they don't understand something I will help them and give them other examples but I will not work on the actual question at hand. Yes I'm the mean mommy that sends my kids in with hand made posters that are obviously done totally by them and that has not hurt their grades. I believe most teachers at least here are hip to which kids do their own work. I may have mentioned this before but one of my older ds' teachers had the entire class read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by themselves out loud in class because it was the book voted on in the class. They made it through the whole book. This in a class where most of them Dr Seuss was about all they had read before. That being said it took forever but they were rewarded with a Harry Potter party day where they she made "butter beer" and the parents supplied some of the food from the book. They also got to watch the movie.

Figgy1

Send her the links to the Uber and Lyft apps.
;)

That’s crazy though, I understand being late.. but you can’t come in at all?!
^^^^This. That being said I got a call asking if I could come in today to cover somebody. I said no because I would be useless if I did go in. One more snow day or delay and I'm going to need a straight jacket. Tonight I'm putting ear plugs in and sleeping and I don't care if anybody needs me. I need sleep. Rant over

21stamps

I completely understand, and I’m so sorry that your son had to experience that! We have strict guidelines for coaches (and parents) to follow in school, club, and recreational sports here. A coach can yell at kids, I yell at the kids lol.. but you can not berate them.
We did a similar “run around the field” thing at practice when doing penalty shots... and if you made it- you got a candy bar as a reward. It was fun and the kids laughed during it.. but we kept it lighthearted and gave tips on why they missed or how to kick correctly.

I had a few rules, reminded the kids of them before every game—
1. If I see you standing still- you get pulled out.
2. If you’re not putting in team effort (ie. ball hog) you get pulled out.
3. If you show bad sportsmanship- you get pulled out.
And 4. (The most important) Have fun and give it your best.

These were 6&7 year olds. I pulled my own son out twice, made him sit out the entire second half for a display of bad sportsmanship once (yelled at a teammate).. and the second time he sat out for 10 minutes because he was standing still too long.

At that age in a non-select league, it isn’t all about skill.. but it is all about effort. Effort Is all I want to see as a coach, and watching kids improve is the most satisfying part. I’ve found kids have more fun when they improve, not when the continually get embarrassed by their mistakes- and in that situation the coach is the main one to blame.

My kiddo has had anxiety in games since going select. I’ve asked him why repeatedly.. he says “I don’t know, I’m just nervous.” I know it’s because he’s accustomed to being one of the 2 best kids on the field, and now he’s not. I think that’s the same reason he froze up and bombed at baseball tryouts.
Myself and his new coaches have talked to him about his confidence level, and we’ll see if he gets it back, I hope so..but I know that if his coaches were screaming degrading things to him that it wouldn’t help.
They can yell “That was your ball!” “Fight for it!” “Pass!” Etc etc.. they can pull a kid out and talk to them about their mistakes... but what happened to your son is unacceptable. That’s exactly the opposite goal of what sports should be! Ugh, again, I’m so sorry that your family had to experience that.

Last edited:

21stamps

^^^^This. That being said I got a call asking if I could come in today to cover somebody. I said no because I would be useless if I did go in. One more snow day or delay and I'm going to need a straight jacket. Tonight I'm putting ear plugs in and sleeping and I don't care if anybody needs me. I need sleep. Rant over
Sometimes a day off is also a public service action to anyone who would have to deal with us..:) get some sleep!

MySmallWorldof4

I honestly think it was a case of her not knowing what else to do. As far as I know, she wasn't particularly gifted or talented, and I think it was more that she needed a career, and for lack of a better idea, decided on teaching...perhaps thinking she'd have 3 months of vacation time a year? I don't know. I remember the first day of school, she had all our desks labeled with our names on them, and this one kid couldn't find his desk. She told him, in front of the whole class, that she had heard ALL about HIM, and she had made a place for him across the classroom facing the wall so he couldn't disrupt the rest of the class...how he was even supposed to see the board is beyond me. But she hadn't even met him...just decided that he didn't deserve to be with the rest of the class before anything happened. Like I said.....one of the 2 worst teachers I ever had. When I was teaching music, she was teaching at the same school. Blech. I felt bad for all the kids in her class...the other 3rd grade teacher was AMAZING, so I felt sorry for all the kids stuck with her instead of having him. Maybe she did better with 3rd grade than she did with 6th, I don't know, but she was terrible with 6th grade.
That is so mean what she did to that boy. How did no one complain? Being new she couldn't have been tenured, so could have been fired. She should have known that singling out that boy as she did would worsen and not help his behavior. You are probably right. She was looking for a 9 month out of a year job with benefits.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I'm not sure it was even just thrown. These are military-grade laptops. It takes a lot more than a drop or a throw to destroy them. My coworker said she's never seen one that has come in that bad condition.

It was also less than a year old, which is even more painful.
When you say Military grade all i think is
images (4).jpeg

21stamps

I make my boys do all their own work. That being said if they don't understand something I will help them and give them other examples but I will not work on the actual question at hand. Yes I'm the mean mommy that sends my kids in with hand made posters that are obviously done totally by them and that has not hurt their grades. I believe most teachers at least here are hip to which kids do their own work. I may have mentioned this before but one of my older ds' teachers had the entire class read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by themselves out loud in class because it was the book voted on in the class. They made it through the whole book. This in a class where most of them Dr Seuss was about all they had read before. That being said it took forever but they were rewarded with a Harry Potter party day where they she made "butter beer" and the parents supplied some of the food from the book. They also got to watch the movie.

I think that’s how it should be. This is how my kid ended up with a Justin Bieber assignment instead of past presidents or other prominent fugures.lol.

I emailed the teacher as soon as I saw the book, asked if I should take him to our local library and choose another. She replied “Absolutely not. I specifically had them choose their own, without influence. If he wanted Abe Lincoln and Abe was already gone, then I’m perfectly fine with choosing a book based on something he liked, even if it’s hair. The assignment is the same no matter who the actual subject is.” (I’m paraphrasing but that was the jist).

The Harry Potter thing is so neat! I bet they loved it!
That is so mean what she did to that boy. How did no one complain? Being new she couldn't have been tenured, so could have been fired. She should have known that singling out that boy as she did would worsen and not help his behavior. You are probably right. She was looking for a 9 month out of a year job with benefits.

I wonder he was a volunteer? All of our sports coaches thru school are volunteers, so it’s a fine line of firing them.. but it they break the code of conduct then the athletic club would do something about it.

We tried to combat our horrible coach by volunteering to help with practices, also more accurately- prevent practices from being cancelled- which she did often.
We didn’t throw an end of season party or buy her a coaches gift. The core group of us declined to do an after season tournament, even though I felt bad for a few other kids on the team who wanted to.

I heard that she referred to us as the “Mean Moms”. Honestly, I could care less. I hope that woman never coaches at our school again. Unfortunately, (edit- ‘unfortunately’ is probably the wrong word) interestingly?her son is on my son’s baseball team (the kid is a year older than T).. I know she’s not a fan of me and two other moms on the team for sure.. so this should be an interesting season sitting next to each other in the stands. I see her at Cub Scout Pack meetings and am always polite, and fwiw my son liked her as a coach.. probably because he never got yelled at or corrected at all.

Her family was new to our school this year, and I feel like she volunteered to ‘fit in’, which is understandable, but she was rude to us when we bought up concerns, and the last minute cancellations were infuriating.. I think it backfired on her.
Maybe @Songbird76 ‘s coach did the same?

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Everything I've read says "late 2019" so I'm guessing it probably won't be open in the Spring, but who knows about soft openings and such. I'm actually hoping they DON'T open until later in the year because then we don't have to battle the crowds. We'll catch it when the hype has died down. Of course, because I want it to open later, it will probably open earlier. :p
As the date of opening gets close. You will still get tons of crowds of those fanboys hoping to ride in the softopenings and testing phases.

Cesar R M

See, I guess that's what I don't understand about " minimal assisstance". Children go to school to learn. And how do they learn? The teacher shows them how to do the math problems, or read words, or spell them, etc. If kids could just do it themselves, we wouldn't need schools or teachers.
Perhaps that school uses the method of Montessorri?
I went to that kind of school for 1 year when I was young, and technically they put all the tools around you and the teachers encourage you to check things by yourself then the teacher helps you out with that.

Cesar R M

I can't like that! That was one of the companies I dealt with when I worked full time and they were both easy to work with and gave me discount coupons all the time:(:(:(:(
And it will keep happening if companies are so stubborn to embrace new technology. Amazon pretty much killed them all.

Can you imagine of Toys R Us used an amazon like site with multiple sources to sell toys?
They didnt. Very similar error as Blockbuster, who believed they were untouchable.

Cesar R M

My computer is getting to that point where I want to throw it out the window. Bought it Black Friday 2010 :eek: but it's still running although slowly.
Tried doing a full reformat or expanding the memory? most laptops try to cheapen the prices by using the slowest memory and lowest memory capacities they can get away with (same with hard disks). Adding a cheap SSD for laptops could also speed up the computer by a lot.

Cesar R M

It also is bad because now there will be less competition. Who do you get toys from now? Target, Walmart, Amazon? Think about Wall-E. Everything eventually became Buy N Large. I think that is what Amazon is becoming. I try and avoid using them, but sometimes have no choice. Love/Hate relationship.
Pretty sure Buy N Large will be the union of Exxon, Disney Corp, Amazon and Paypal ( Oil, Entertainment, Shopping, Banking)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom