The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MOXOMUMD

@donaldtoo ....this thread is more demanding than Facebook. Facebook is like flipping through a magazine. With this Chit Chat Thread you POSSIBLY feel you must read what each person said and respond accordingly. That's tough to hold yourself to that standard....if that's what you expect of yourself???
Just an observation....definitely not a criticism. This thread is fun.
I think after being in this thread for as long as we have we've just trained ourselves to read all the posts. I personally don't respond to every post but some do.

Songbird76

My computer is getting to that point where I want to throw it out the window. Bought it Black Friday 2010 :eek: but it's still running although slowly.
I just got a new one a few weeks ago because everything on my old one kept breaking...you couldn't use headphones anymore, only 1 USB port worked, the touch pad didn't work, and it was slow as molasses. So I bit the bullet and got a new one. Now I just need to get an ad blocker put on it, but I don't remember which one I had.

MySmallWorldof4

They closed all the stores in the Netherlands, too, but they have a web store, or you can go to Germany.
From what I read, I don't know if they will even be able to go web based. They cannot find a buyer. It is cheaper to have just a few warehouses around the country then worry about paying for 800 stores. They could be more competitive with Amazon if their overhead was cheaper. I am sure people would rather buy from Toys R Us and not Amazon. I would. Target doesn't have that many toys in their stores either, and very few brands. I hope they find a way to stick around in some form.

21stamps

:hilarious:

Disclaimer: I'm also in the camp that Common Core Math is the dumbest thing ever invented. Glad my kids were spared.

I’m soooooo glad that my kiddo is not doing Common Core!

And they are subject to criticism about how they performed and even yelled at for not measuring up to what they expected.

Call me a big meanie, but I think this is good for kids.
It doesn’t matter if it’s math, spelling, building blocks, or a sport.. Criticism in a constructive way isn’t bad, imo. Nor is the discipline and the awareness that comes with it.
I remember the first time my son was goofing off at football practice, age 5, summer before kindergarten- full tackle. Well, my kiddo and the other boy who was messing around, they both had to run a lap around the field.. in their uniforms and helmets. They were told why, and that failure to pay attention can result in an injury. Guess who paid attention consistently after that?
I do know that there are parents who have a different thought process regarding that, but I’m A-OK with it.

Songbird76

Yep, I agree. That teacher should have been fired. What is the point of teaching then if you are not willing to do it.
I honestly think it was a case of her not knowing what else to do. As far as I know, she wasn't particularly gifted or talented, and I think it was more that she needed a career, and for lack of a better idea, decided on teaching...perhaps thinking she'd have 3 months of vacation time a year? I don't know. I remember the first day of school, she had all our desks labeled with our names on them, and this one kid couldn't find his desk. She told him, in front of the whole class, that she had heard ALL about HIM, and she had made a place for him across the classroom facing the wall so he couldn't disrupt the rest of the class...how he was even supposed to see the board is beyond me. But she hadn't even met him...just decided that he didn't deserve to be with the rest of the class before anything happened. Like I said.....one of the 2 worst teachers I ever had. When I was teaching music, she was teaching at the same school. Blech. I felt bad for all the kids in her class...the other 3rd grade teacher was AMAZING, so I felt sorry for all the kids stuck with her instead of having him. Maybe she did better with 3rd grade than she did with 6th, I don't know, but she was terrible with 6th grade.

21stamps

For the record I SIGNED NOTHING! especially anything that stated openly that I agree....I agree to nothing unless I know 100% what I was agreeing to. My kids went to public school. The law states nothing of having to sign pledges, school handbooks etc.

Signing something, anything you do not understand and is loosely written and open for interpretation is something I would not do. Curious if pledges are approved by the district and the board. Our school handbooks stated you and student were to sign and return paper that stated you READ, UNDERSTOOD and AGREED to everything in that handbook. Heck no was I ever going to sign that. I put a line through Understood and Agreed, I only signed that I read it, not that I understood or agreed.

Then again I was the parent to chose to take my kids out of school for Disney Trips.

Me. I'd never let my kid continue to make the same math mistake for an example over and over on homework. I don't grasp what the point of a kid doing something incorrectly is. Me, I showed my kids where they were going wrong, how to correct the mistake and do the work correctly. To me learning to do things correctly is the objective. You don't learn to do it correctly if the goal is to let them keep doing it incorrectly. Teaching or reteaching isn't doing the work for them. Sometimes it just takes some kids several repetitions to grasp.

Then again I think one of the worlds worst creations is Common Core Math. A disservice IMO

My kid has missed 6-9 school days per year for vacations, so I’m with ya there! :)

The way it was explained is that parents are not allowed to do or mostly do their children’s reports.. we have to let it be their idea, we can provide a little direction, but the goal is for the kids to be in charge... to do the typing, choose the resources, understand the programs they’re using, etc. the “pledge” is just a formality to agree that we won’t be overbearing.

Even outside of the classroom in something like Cub Scouts, it is highly noticeable when the parents are the ones who made their son’s Pinewood Derby car.. maybe the kid put a sticker or painted a little of the base.

Last edited:

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

It doesn’t matter if it’s math, spelling, building blocks, or a sport.. Criticism in a constructive way isn’t bad, imo. Nor is the discipline and the awareness that comes with it.
I remember the first time my son was goofing off at football practice, age 5, summer before kindergarten- full tackle. Well, my kiddo and the other boy who was messing around, they both had to run a lap around the field.. in their uniforms and helmets. They were told why, and that failure to pay attention can result in an injury. Guess who paid attention consistently after that?
I do know that there are parents who have a different thought process regarding that, but I’m A-OK with it.

Natural consequences and training consequences that prevent safety issues are separate, I think, from what he's talking about.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
My kid has missed 6-9 school days per year for vacations, so I’m with ya there! :)

The way it was explained is that parents are not allowed to do or mostly do their children’s reports.. we have to let it be their idea, we can provide a little direction, but the goal is for the kids to be in charge... to do the typing, choose the resources, understand the programs their using, etc. the “pledge” is just a formality to agree that we won’t be overbearing.

Even outside of the classroom in something like Cub Scouts, it is highly noticeable when the parents are the ones who made their son’s Pinewood Derby car.. maybe the kid put a sticker or painted a little of the base.

This is a huge pet peeve of mine. Your kid is never going to learn how to do something if you do it for them.

21stamps

Good news!! No stomach flu!! My temps aren't back up to normal yet, but I'm likely going to go back to work tomorrow, even!

Hooray!!
Yeah, you have to watch out for who is selling on Amazon, private seller or Amazon itself. I rarely buy outside Amazon fulfilled otherwise it is a dicey as Ebay.
It also is bad because now there will be less competition. Who do you get toys from now? Target, Walmart, Amazon? Think about Wall-E. Everything eventually became Buy N Large. I think that is what Amazon is becoming. I try and avoid using them, but sometimes have no choice. Love/Hate relationship.

I was a weekly Whole Foods shopper for 15 years, their Olive Bar used to be my go-to lunch spot as well.. I have not stepped foot inside a Whole Foods since the Amazon acquisition.
I cancelled Prime months ago and have not ordered one thing on Amazon since, not even during the Christmas season.
This is coming from someone who would sit at work as order a planner to be delivered from Amazon because I didn’t want to stop at a store (that I passed anyway) on my way home.
They’re starting to frighten me. I’ve been making an effort to buy items in a brick and mortar store unless otherwise impossible.

Songbird76

I think it depends on how it's done. I think what he was referring to is more the "You are so stupid! Why didn't you do a, b, or c? You're never going to amount to anything if you don't start using your head!" What you are talking about is discipline....you have a rule for a reason, it's explained why, and then there's a consequence for breaking it, but no one is made to feel bad if they make a mistake or they don't win. I remember my 7th grade basketball coach had promised everyone would get to play....then we got to the game and the other team was better than anticipated and there were 2 of us who never got to play. We were really upset because we were embarrassed to be the only 2 not to play even for 30 seconds and he had broken his promise. He came up, saw us crying and started yelling at us about how we SHOULD be upset we lost the game...we should have played better. Making us feel bad about how horrible we were, when we hadn't even played. He hadn't even NOTICED that we didn't play, and he's blaming the loss of the game on us. I didn't play basketball after junior high because I had no desire to sit on a bench and get yelled at for it anymore. There's no way to spin that as constructive criticism....it didn't teach us a thing. What lesson did we get out of that? That we were losers and we suck? And there are parents who force their kids to keep playing a sport, even though they hate it, because they think it's good for them to have a sport where they learn discipline and hard work, sportsmanship....and it IS good to learn those things. But they don't learn that by being verbally abused. I think that's what he was talking about. The parents and coaches pushing them to win at all costs and demeaning them if they aren't good at it. I'll admit, I was TERRIBLE at basketball....I mean, I can barely walk across a flat surface without tripping much less trying to dribble a ball at the same time...and you do NOT want to give me any sort of projectile. But, put me in front of a panel of judges, and give me a topic, I'm a pretty decent public speaker...so I learned those things doing something I was GOOD at and LIKED doing. No one was yelling at me or demeaning me. I think you can have both....the constructive environment where you learn about hard work and discipline and team work, etc, and also the fun and social aspect of belonging to a group or team. But nowhere in there is there room for the verbal abuse and the huge amount of pressure that you have to win every time.

21stamps

Natural consequences and training consequences that prevent safety issues are separate, I think, from what he's talking about.

I get it, and I agree that some kids face a lot of pressure these days. The thing is though, if the kid expressed interest in the first place, then they have to know criticism and expectations come along with that.
T went thru a period a couple of months ago where he didn’t want to touch a soccer ball (he does a 15 minute foot skill video almost every day).. he refused to do the video, said he didn’t want to play any more, said he was “over playing soccer”. I was worried about burnout, extremely worried. However, we had to sit down and have a talk. He owes it to himself and his team to practice...he agreed to it. Most importantly, we talked about the rigorous requirements before he accepted the position. I told him that he took a spot that other kids wanted..that he and I both made a huge commitment. If he wants to quit after this season, fine. But it’s not fair to either one of us if he sits out all season because he’s not putting in the effort.

He snapped out of it, thankfully..and he’s once again obsessed. That was a rough week and rough conversations though.. but sometimes parents have to make their kids realize what they agreed to.
Yes, I’m sure what I did was “pressure”..but if my child commits to something, and I make a big financial and time commitment to something, then he’s going to do what he agreed to, which is full commitment, not just showing up. If he gives half-effort during his drills at home- I make him start over, and remind him that incorrectly done drills will harm more than hurt. It’s an age old debate of if that kind of competitiveness at the level is healthy for that age.. but besides that one week, he has absolutely loved it.
If at the end of the Spring Season he doesn’t want to try out again and go back to SAY, great. I feel bad for the pressure that kids are under, but some of them are choosing it, and they can thrive in it. Hopefully for us that one week was just a blip.
I’ve talked to other parents in the club who’s kids have gone thru a similar stage, I don’t hear anyone who would keep their kid if they don’t want to continue after the season. It would be too much on the parents and the child to have that kind of battle constantly.

21stamps

I think it depends on how it's done. I think what he was referring to is more the "You are so stupid! Why didn't you do a, b, or c? You're never going to amount to anything if you don't start using your head!" What you are talking about is discipline....you have a rule for a reason, it's explained why, and then there's a consequence for breaking it, but no one is made to feel bad if they make a mistake or they don't win. I remember my 7th grade basketball coach had promised everyone would get to play....then we got to the game and the other team was better than anticipated and there were 2 of us who never got to play. We were really upset because we were embarrassed to be the only 2 not to play even for 30 seconds and he had broken his promise. He came up, saw us crying and started yelling at us about how we SHOULD be upset we lost the game...we should have played better. Making us feel bad about how horrible we were, when we hadn't even played. He hadn't even NOTICED that we didn't play, and he's blaming the loss of the game on us. I didn't play basketball after junior high because I had no desire to sit on a bench and get yelled at for it anymore. There's no way to spin that as constructive criticism....it didn't teach us a thing. What lesson did we get out of that? That we were losers and we suck? And there are parents who force their kids to keep playing a sport, even though they hate it, because they think it's good for them to have a sport where they learn discipline and hard work, sportsmanship....and it IS good to learn those things. But they don't learn that by being verbally abused. I think that's what he was talking about. The parents and coaches pushing them to win at all costs and demeaning them if they aren't good at it. I'll admit, I was TERRIBLE at basketball....I mean, I can barely walk across a flat surface without tripping much less trying to dribble a ball at the same time...and you do NOT want to give me any sort of projectile. But, put me in front of a panel of judges, and give me a topic, I'm a pretty decent public speaker...so I learned those things doing something I was GOOD at and LIKED doing. No one was yelling at me or demeaning me. I think you can have both....the constructive environment where you learn about hard work and discipline and team work, etc, and also the fun and social aspect of belonging to a group or team. But nowhere in there is there room for the verbal abuse and the huge amount of pressure that you have to win every time.

Verbal abuse is not acceptable. Not at all.
On the other hand, we had a coach over the Fall who’s first introductory email said “This is about fun and not winning or losing. Please tell your children that a win or loss doesn’t matter.”
What?!?! No, I will never say that to my child.
Play your best, always, sometimes you’ll lose, but it’s never ok to go into a season with a “doesn’t matter” mindset. Our team was horrible.. she rarely corrected the kid’s mistakes.. she was seriously the worst coach I’ve ever seen in my life. After every loss she would say “Great job, boys!” Never any constructive criticism as to what they could actually do differently. It was miserable. That’s the main reason that myself and another mom from that team coached the next season. You can give direction, and have fun, while still improving.. and guess what- the kids get excited when they improve, when they win. It’s not fun to continually lose. It’s also not acceptable to berate them when they do lose. They have to accept a loss the same way they can accept a win.. for sure.

I hope I don’t sound like the crazy parent who screams on the sidelines. ;)

Edited to add- There’s a big complaint about kids leaving school sports to play on club teams and the pressure that goes along with it.. also complaining that the club teams are ruining school sports. A few months ago (after that season) I was at an athletic club meeting at our school and gave my 2 cents.. when you have participation trophy parents coaching, then you’re going to see more kids drop out of school sports and play elsewhere.
The sad thing about it, is there’s a lot of kids in the middle, who maybe won’t make a club team.. or maybe the family can’t do the time requirements of it..., but they still want to play..really want to play.. We have to make sure that our coaches are helping those kids.. not just letting them run around on a soccer field.. especially when they’re paying dues and per sport fees.. a kid can run around with a ball for free. Same applies to baseball or any other sport. Football is the only one that people really aren’t leaving, at least not for those reasons.

Last edited:

MouseDreaming

Rant starts here * I have 4 people out already today, all with very good reasons. And then I get a text that someone can't make it, because her husband took her keys this morning. What I really want to say is you are a grown @$$ woman. Figure it out. What I am doing is waiting until I can text her back to say OK, see you Monday! That is what her other supervisor sent. ( yeah, she is not showing up for 2 schools, and she works a bus route.) Right now, I can't do that without feeling physically ill.

Okay rant over. Thank you all for letting me vent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom