The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Speaking of VISA Disney card.
I always got offers from it via email. But I was always was baffled of why. I mean I'm not american and its for americans only.

I never thought about the Disney Visa being for Americans only. First it is a really cute card (first world thing) but the rewards are good and can be applied to my Disney Vacation cost. Plus it gives me 10% off at the Disney Store, 10% off at restaurants and stores that do not accept the Disney Annual Pass Discount. Via Napoli last year did not accept the AP discount but did 10% off with the Disney Visa as an example. While not enamored by any bank really this card does well by me.

donaldtoo

Our garage stores a lot of stuff too. We needed a 3 car garage and not a 2. Our cars aren't in the garage either. Our snow blower, bikes, strollers(which I guess we don't need), etc. sure take a lot of room.

Yep, along with ours, there's so many other people's stuff in our garage I wouldn't even know where to begin sorting through it all.
But, come spring-ish, we'll ask them to come get it, or we're yardsalin' it...!!!!! :joyfull:

Cesar R M

I never thought about the Disney Visa being for Americans only. First it is a really cute card (first world thing) but the rewards are good and can be applied to my Disney Vacation cost. Plus it gives me 10% off at the Disney Store, 10% off at restaurants and stores that do not accept the Disney Annual Pass Discount. Via Napoli last year did not accept the AP discount but did 10% off with the Disney Visa as an example. While not enamored by any bank really this card does well by me.
I tried to apply and it had in small letters "offer only applies for Canada and continental USA, local address required".

Also something about having your credit reviewed and needing your SS code.

Thus pretty much limiting it to Americans.

I have not seen any offer for a card related to Disney in Mexico (neither VISA nor Mastercard offer direct branded cards, all of them are always tied/backed somehow to a local bank branch)

Hell, id love an American branded card.

Mexicans get seriously slaughtered with fees (average rate of a credit card is 45%.. with the default high 55% rate per year).
I was baffled when my aunt who lives in Houston said she always get 0% rate cards.
Also Deja Vu, pretty sure we talked about credit cards a few years ago.

Goofyernmost

^^^^
This is harsh and a bit pointed. I was a Mom who did thrust my kid into the public school system at age 3. She was non verbal. She entered Project Head Start and was evaluated and had an IEP. Did she miss the joys of being a kid NO! Do I find thrust and pressure poor choices of words and a tad judgmental? Yep.

My kids also both attended daycare from the time they were infants. Their Daycare was a learning center school. By the time they went to kindergarten they knew a great deal. I have no regrets and paid dearly for quality daycare over some other daycare situations I could have placed them in. My kids also had a good foundation in learning Spanish in daycare and they had computer learning class as computers and children was just dawning. Studies show that learning a language as a child is easier to pick up than when they are older. 30 years ago many judged wasting our time teaching children to be computer literate. I chose to allow them to learn from young what a computer was. I have to say even from little some of these programs were a great deal of fun and if they learned while having fun it was a bonus.

My kids had a wonderful childhood. I don't find the Joys of Childhood or Learning everything (how is everything defined even???) to be an either or. Being a well rounded child and exposed to all sorts of fun and/or educational experiences is a good thing IMO not something a parent should feel guilty about.
You're right it is harsh, but, they didn't bring themselves to them. They didn't sign themselves up. I know parents that don't ask they just are bent on they kid being a sporting hero or a musical genius and put tons and tons of pressure on their kids to succeed. A whole lot of it really doesn't look like it is fun. And they are subject to criticism about how they performed and even yelled at for not measuring up to what they expected. We aren't talking about special situations here, we are talking about general childhood. You are taking this way to personal. Your kids are individuals, but, they aren't representative of all individuals. You were lucky, but, not all had that. There is a huge difference between being involved in that stuff for a specific solution to a possible problem or just because it is what is expected. I am not asking anyone to feel guilty about it. I have been expressing my feelings about how my childhood went and how fun it was to just have time to imagine and play. I realize today that electronics rule and all the free time that kids do have is to have a nose stuck in an electronic device or building up gigantic thumb muscles playing games on PS4's etc. I maintain that I had more fun they they are having. I never once said that they all turned out to be prison material, however, I wouldn't trade my youthful experiences for all the video games in the world.

I have a grandson that is 18 years old. Eagle Scout and avid gamer. He said, seriously, that he thought he should join the military because he was so good a playing war games on his machine (forget what unit he has, not really important.) He felt that he would be really good at killing "the enemy" because he was so good with that game. I pointed out that in a real war situation people are actually firing back. Different world, different times, but, that doesn't stop me from being happy that I never looked at life in that way at that age.

With my own girls, the approach we took was to try and provide them with whatever activities that they really felt they wanted to do. They played softball, basketball, figure skating, both took piano long enough to have a number of recitals, that that hated, One decided to sing in an acapella group called the Madrigals the other decided to learn how to play the trumpet. None of the activities they took carried over into adulthood. They were experimenting and if they were showing a complete lack of interest in something, this wasn't a matter of life or death so they could leave it whenever they wanted too. No pressure from us. Well, I shouldn't say that because the piano stuff was quite expensive and they both begged to get lessons. The provision was... OK, but you have to stick it out for one year. No quitting because it is difficult. One lasted up until the day that one year was reached, the other went another year. Every person is different and I still remember being that age and coming up with a zillion things that I thought would be cool. Marching band, absolutely having to have a Cocker Spaniel then losing interest, then having an absolute life altering need for a Pedigreed German Shepard named Sheba. I worked my way through what seemed like thousands of interests, but, most of them were accomplished at home and many in my own imagination.

PS... the animals both went to good homes where the owner paid attention to them. So don't call ASPCA. :)

Cesar R M

Speaking of facebook...

Noone has having issues with it?

Currently I started to notice that if I click to comment on ANY post that is branded or comes from a established service (like cnn). And has the "mention" bar in the comment area (the bar that allows you to insert friends in the comments). The post will hide itself automatically?
I have to click on the company in question and find the relevant post and then comment from there...

Gabe1

You're right it is harsh, but, they didn't bring themselves to them. They didn't sign themselves up. I know parents that don't ask they just are bent on they kid being a sporting hero or a musical genius and put tons and tons of pressure on their kids to succeed. A whole lot of it really doesn't look like it is fun. And they are subject to criticism about how they performed and even yelled at for not measuring up to what they expected. We aren't talking about special situations here, we are talking about general childhood. You are taking this way to personal. Your kids are individuals, but, they aren't representative of all individuals. You were lucky, but, not all had that. There is a huge difference between being involved in that stuff for a specific solution to a possible problem or just because it is what is expected. I am not asking anyone to feel guilty about it. I have been expressing my feelings about how my childhood went and how fun it was to just have time to imagine and play. I realize today that electronics rule and all the free time that kids do have is to have a nose stuck in an electronic device or building up gigantic thumb muscles playing games on PS4's etc. I maintain that I had more fun they they are having. I never once said that they all turned out to be prison material, however, I wouldn't trade my youthful experiences for all the video games in the world.

I have a grandson that is 18 years old. Eagle Scout and avid gamer. He said, seriously, that he thought he should join the military because he was so good a playing war games on his machine (forget what unit he has, not really important.) He felt that he would be really good at killing "the enemy" because he was so good with that game. I pointed out that in a real war situation people are actually firing back. Different world, different times, but, that doesn't stop me from being happy that I never looked at life in that way at that age.

With my own girls, the approach we took was to try and provide them with whatever activities that they really felt they wanted to do. They played softball, basketball, figure skating, both took piano long enough to have a number of recitals, that that hated, One decided to sing in an acapella group called the Madrigals the other decided to learn how to play the trumpet. None of the activities they took carried over into adulthood. They were experimenting and if they were showing a complete lack of interest in something, this wasn't a matter of life or death so they could leave it whenever they wanted too. No pressure from us. Well, I shouldn't say that because the piano stuff was quite expensive and they both begged to get lessons. The provision was... OK, but you have to stick it out for one year. No quitting because it is difficult. One lasted up until the day that one year was reached, the other went another year. Every person is different and I still remember being that age and coming up with a zillion things that I thought would be cool. Marching band, absolutely having to have a Cocker Spaniel then losing interest, then having an absolute life altering need for a Pedigreed German Shepard named Sheba. I worked my way through what seemed like thousands of interests, but, most of them were accomplished at home and many in my own imagination.

PS... the animals both went to good homes where the owner paid attention to them. So don't call ASPCA. :)

Yeah, that is a great deal of subjective over generalizations.

Me, I was the parent, they were the child. In a era of blaming millennials and their parents for how they turned out which irks me to no end, I can't imagine ever letting my children raise themselves and giving them control over what they will and will not do. I see how many times a day some member refers to the young and their parents as *snowflakes* It seems even harder to be a parent than when I was decades ago. I stand by my choices. I stand by how they turned out because of my choices for them. We are all so vastly different here but when I review in my head everyone's kids we speak of frequently here I can't think of one child that has a bad life or had their childhood taken away from them. Raised differently yes but they all seem to be pretty darn good, happy kids and all seemed to have their share of fun growing up.

So I think we need to agree we disagree.

Gabe1

For ‘minimal assistance’, I had to sign a pledge that “I will let him make his own mistakes but can provide minimal direction and supervision without overbearing influence.” Still not exactly sure what that means.lol.

For the record I SIGNED NOTHING! especially anything that stated openly that I agree....I agree to nothing unless I know 100% what I was agreeing to. My kids went to public school. The law states nothing of having to sign pledges, school handbooks etc.

Signing something, anything you do not understand and is loosely written and open for interpretation is something I would not do. Curious if pledges are approved by the district and the board. Our school handbooks stated you and student were to sign and return paper that stated you READ, UNDERSTOOD and AGREED to everything in that handbook. Heck no was I ever going to sign that. I put a line through Understood and Agreed, I only signed that I read it, not that I understood or agreed.

Then again I was the parent to chose to take my kids out of school for Disney Trips.

Me. I'd never let my kid continue to make the same math mistake for an example over and over on homework. I don't grasp what the point of a kid doing something incorrectly is. Me, I showed my kids where they were going wrong, how to correct the mistake and do the work correctly. To me learning to do things correctly is the objective. You don't learn to do it correctly if the goal is to let them keep doing it incorrectly. Teaching or reteaching isn't doing the work for them. Sometimes it just takes some kids several repetitions to grasp.

Then again I think one of the worlds worst creations is Common Core Math. A disservice IMO

Gabe1

I can't do the who came first the chicken or the egg. I strongly believe that the parent is in charge not the child. Like I said before, we disagree. I accept that too.

Gabe1

I tried to apply and it had in small letters "offer only applies for Canada and continental USA, local address required".

Also something about having your credit reviewed and needing your SS code.

Thus pretty much limiting it to Americans.

I have not seen any offer for a card related to Disney in Mexico (neither VISA nor Mastercard offer direct branded cards, all of them are always tied/backed somehow to a local bank branch)

Hell, id love an American branded card.

Mexicans get seriously slaughtered with fees (average rate of a credit card is 45%.. with the default high 55% rate per year).
I was baffled when my aunt who lives in Houston said she always get 0% rate cards.
Also Deja Vu, pretty sure we talked about credit cards a few years ago.

Maybe we did talk about all that long ago. Could be. But yes, we don't pay fees to have credit cards. Though you never say never, they did try that and try to charge a monthly service for a debit card, boy that went badly with the consumers, didn't happen. But they (kinda like Disney) do try anything they can. My other bank is a small independent bank so they throw things at Women for their Women's initiative. It is presented in a condescending way I am not fond of. I look past it as I receive free blank checks, credit monitoring along with a free safety deposit box. I just wish it was presented in a way that women were not pea brains that needed basic banking skills spoon fed. So I toss the literature and say thank you to free checks and box.

Gabe1

^^^^^This I have some in a box for emergencies. The only problem is they expire before they run out:joyfull:

There is plenty of data out there on the 'fake' news of expiration dates of medication and the actual longevity of meds as they are very stable products. I really hope the laws do change and require the truth in expiration dates.
Too much good stuff from meds to food goes into landfills because of arbitrary dates placed on many products.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom