The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MySmallWorldof4

This is why I’m saving Italy til T’s teen years. It’s not even a discussion right now, I want him to really appreciate and enjoy the experience. It’s also one place that I’ve never been.. so I think it will be great for the both of us. Another two are Morocco and South Africa, those need to be teen years too for us.
My parents took me to Italy at 15. We did UK and lots of Europe when I was in my early 20's. I loved it, but don't think I would have cared much if I was younger. My mom was a travel agent, specifically she designed tours so she knew how to set up an itinerary. Plus she spoke many languages and my step-dad speaks German. That all helped. We never did a tour group thing. We just rented cars and took off. We joked that we had seen every church in the UK, France, and Germany. We are not even Catholic. They are just the prettiest ones. I took Latin in college, so I loved trying to decipher the Latin inscriptions in churches and many of the older buildings. I also had more of a love for history that I didn't have when I was a little kid. You appreciate history more when you have lived a little.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
My parents took me to Italy at 15. We did UK and lots of Europe when I was in my early 20's. I loved it, but don't think I would have cared much if I was younger. My mom was a travel agent, specifically she designed tours so she knew how to set up an itinerary. Plus she spoke many languages and my step-dad speaks German. That all helped. We never did a tour group thing. We just rented cars and took off. We joked that we had seen every church in the UK, France, and Germany. We are not even Catholic. They are just the prettiest ones. I took Latin in college, so I loved trying to decipher the Latin inscriptions in churches and many of the older buildings. I also had more of a love for history that I didn't have when I was a little kid. You appreciate history more when you have lived a little.
Did you get to see the smallest functioning chapel in Europe ?
little-chapel-guernsey1.jpg

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I wouldn’t keep up with any of my friends if it wasn’t for social media. :hilarious:

Nice! Ireland and Scotland are near the top of our list.. the other top spots are Costa Rica, Spain, Lisbon, Israel, and Turkey.
I have 2 friends in England, 1 Leeds, and 1 in London.. they always invite us.. I have another friend in Czech Republic.. which we will do eventually.

My hold up with international travel has just been the “1 adult” thing, dealing with luggage, trains, etc.. He’s now old enough that I think we can start.. I’m still a little intimated though. Resorts and cruises are much easier on me right now.

I have to plan all of our adventures with just myself and the kid, too. My husband travels so much for work there's no telling if he'll be able to come with us. The nice thing about Germany and having family there though is that there is a built in support network. They'll know where the kid friendly things are and best hospital to go to just in case. Their daughter is about 1.5 years younger than ours. So while we're with them, we'll have help. That's extra important at this age.

That is a pretty ambitious list. You might want to wait until she is much older so she can appreciate trips like that.

This is why I’m saving Italy til T’s teen years. It’s not even a discussion right now, I want him to really appreciate and enjoy the experience. It’s also one place that I’ve never been.. so I think it will be great for the both of us. Another two are Morocco and South Africa, those need to be teen years too for us.

We're definitely not planning on hitting them all up next year!!

Germany is a lock for next year, though! We'll fly into Munich and spend a couple of days there exploring the city and that AMAZING park I miss so greatly, take a day trip out to Neuschwanstein castle (the "Walt Disney Castle") and then head North a couple hours to the Nuremburg area where my half brother and his family lives.

We've been thinking Costa Rica for 2020 though. The cloud rainforests are calling my name :inlove::inlove:

MouseDreaming

What a great show! Does anyone remember all of the old Nick at Night shows in the 80s? **** Van ****, Patty Duke, etc?
Confession- I’ve always been a little bit too obsessed with Audrey Hepburn. I have every movie that she was in.. probably every biography.. and too many coffee table books and old magazine compilations that I’ve collected over the years.
I also watched Bye Bye Birdie more times than I can count when I was younger..as well as the production. I used to dance around in my bedroom pretending I was Kim.. (or Olivia Newton John while listening to my ‘Physical’ record, depending on the day ;))
Oh, and I have every episode of I Love Lucy, and many Lucille Ball biographies as well.

Hollywood makes that time look so great, as does photos of my grandparents.. but when I really look at that time, I am glad that I missed it... but it does look so nice!
Woah. That Van show. Pretty racy stuff. (Sorry, I just find it amusing what does and doesn't get bleeped sometimes.)

21stamps

That’s so neat!!! Huge advantage that your mom is multilingual.. I bet those were amazing trips!!

I prefer to plan my own trips too.. I thought by now that T and I would have done some of Europe together, but I chicken out every time I seriously start looking at it. I have debated on traveling with Tauck sooooo many times over the past 3 years, but the price is outrageous. I know I could find a cheaper company, but I still just don’t want to do a tour.

I can speak/understand enough Spanish, French, and Hebrew to get by..some are much more “understanding” than “speaking” though. ;) T is half Hispanic, so he’s been asking to go to Spain repeatedly..we will do it.
It’s just tough to know the right time/age. I love history, and I agree with you that you’re more appreciative once you’ve been alive longer.
Turkey and Israel are by far my favorite countries when it comes to just being in awe of the historical sights. I don’t know if T could have that same feeling at this point in his life.

Oh, I forgot about Iceland and Antarctica.. those are huge ones for him. He can go to Antarctica when he’s an adult.. I won’t ever go.lol. I’ve been to Iceland, and we will do that. It’s so tough to narrow down, eventually we’ll start checking off the list.. but my laziness of cruise/resorts with him so far isn’t helping. Also our current airport doesn’t help either.. huge difference in flights here and what they were from MIA, FLL, or PBI... to anywhere, not even just the Caribbean. I should have factored that in before we moved. ;)
It must have been so neat having a mom who could plan all of it perfectly! :)

21stamps

I have to plan all of our adventures with just myself and the kid, too. My husband travels so much for work there's no telling if he'll be able to come with us. The nice thing about Germany and having family there though is that there is a built in support network. They'll know where the kid friendly things are and best hospital to go to just in case. Their daughter is about 1.5 years younger than ours. So while we're with them, we'll have help. That's extra important at this age.

We're definitely not planning on hitting them all up next year!!

Germany is a lock for next year, though! We'll fly into Munich and spend a couple of days there exploring the city and that AMAZING park I miss so greatly, take a day trip out to Neuschwanstein castle (the "Walt Disney Castle") and then head North a couple hours to the Nuremburg area where my half brother and his family lives.

We've been thinking Costa Rica for 2020 though. The cloud rainforests are calling my name :inlove::inlove:

The Germany trip sounds wonderful!!

By no means am I recommending against international travel at a young age!! Seriously, most of my friends have kid’s T’s age or a couple of years older.. their kids almost have me beat in passport stamps. No joke.
Outside of my aforementioned hesitation, a big part of it is also that I have to pick and choose our vacations. I can’t do something like a week at Beaches or Disney, and something like a week-10 day Europe etc trip in the same year. If I could, then we would have already at least crossed off Iceland from our list.

Here’s my thing about Costa Rica. I LOVE it. Love LOVE LOVE. Everything about it. (Except for the crocodiles)
Prior to 2003 I had only been to Limon, once..then in ‘03 a good friend of mine bought a vacation home in Playa Hermosa (west coast)..after that I went more times than I can count. It was about a 2 hour flight from FLL or MIA, I never paid more than $300 for a flight (most of the time paid in low $200s), and we could use his house whenever we wanted, even when he wasn’t with us. We’d go for 3-4 nights and come home..long weekends. I semi-surf and I love zip lining and rafting..doesn’t get much better than CR for any of the above.
Like I said, my friends travel a lot with their kids, and most have already taken them by the time they are T’s age. BUT.. I don’t know how many time we will be able to repeat destinations.. so I’m trying to be selective. He can’t do most of the adventurous activities in CR yet, it’s not an inexpensive ‘quick trip’ from here, so I’m saving that one til he’s older as well.

Cesar R M

I mean a whatsapp. I don't know what it's called in the US, but over here, we tell someone to "app me". Text would only apply to SMS. If I'm using facebook, I'd say "message me", for SMS, I'd say Text, and for Whatsapp it's "app me". I take it you all don't do that? Do you have whatsapp?
We actually say "whasap me" or "send me a whasap" when mentioning whasap.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom