The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

93boomer

Premium Member
DH looked up UCF near Orlando. In state is $6300. UNC Charlotte $7000 in state. If we were to move in the future those would be the 2 places we would consider moving to. We both (dh and I) to an expensive grad school and we got a great education, but paying those loans off:hungover: I have smartened up in my middle ages. It is not where you go to school, but what you do when you are there and what you do when you are out. For the heck of it I had ds look up where Bob Iger went to school and what major he had. He went to Ithaca College in NY, which is just your average run of the mill school, and he had a degree in Television and Radio. With that he became CEO. So he worked himself up through the ranks of different companies.
My nephew attends UNC-C . He really likes it there.

BuddyThomas

Paging @BuddyThomas I hope all is well with you and the Philmonster.
All is well, except that they suspended service on the Long Island Railroad at the peak of rush hour last night (it remains suspended as of right now, Saturday, 2:25 PM) due to multiple trees and poles knocked down on the tracks, and I had to take a $140.00 cab ride home. GRRRR.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Okay for those who wanted to see the princess room in all its glory.... Here's how i painted gender neutral room before...
View attachment 267915

And here's how the princess room looks now (which definitely fits her personality better)...

View attachment 267916
View attachment 267917
View attachment 267918
View attachment 267919

Of course some photos had to be included from our trip to Disney...
View attachment 267920

And here's the royal Highness herself...
View attachment 267921

You cannot tell from the pictures but that pink wall is glittery and sparkly. It's too subtle to show up in the photos though.

The room (and A) is beautiful! When I was a kid that was the room of my dreams!

12in12

My job when I worked at Ohare was 'special services' for passengers so my experience is more from this side of the pond. I do flag her ticket as requesting a wheelchair which is often a version of a golf cart depending on the airline and length of the concourse. I do this if I am travelling with my Mom or not. My my over the last 5 years has become overly anxious about anything out of her routine. We check her bag (one less thing for her to fret about and worth the $25 just for that) They pick her up at the check in counter. They take her to security. The special needs passengers here are taken through as a priority. They take her to the gate and notify the gate agent that she is special assistance. They put her on the plane before any general boarding, take her to her seat, help her store her carry on belongings. Upon landing the attendant notifies her they will take her off last. She is picked up again by special services in a wheelchair and taken to baggage claim and we are on our way or my Sister then meets her down there.

This works out so well for my Mom and her anxiety. We started doing this after one trip about 5 years ago when her flight kept changing gates and then was cancelled. She was so overwhelmed, melted down. They rebooked her on another flight but several terminals away, Ohare is huge and not well thought out. A real good ticket agent calmed her, ordered a wheelchair and got her to where she was going. My Mom really enjoys vacations once she is on them it is just the travel itself that wears on her. Both my Sis and I want her to keep traveling with us despite her being a handful stress wise during the travel hours. I really am a fan of special services it tones down the stress. The upside is we get to take her along on many vacations instead of her just remaining at home. In 2 weeks she will go the Florida Keys which is a lot of plane changes which she has done before this way. Chicago to Cleveland, Cleveland to Miami and Miami to the FL Keys.

Any other questions just ask. It is so kind of you to take Grandma along. My kids are very accustomed to me pushing my folks to go with us over the years and Grandma has lots of happy memories being included.
Thanks so much for this! I have now requested wheelchair assistance for my mom. My mom is a grandmother but I don't have any kids, which is why I have time and money to take my mother to Bali for 6 weeks.;)
I am a bit worried about the flights but I know once we are on Bali my mother will be happy.

12in12

I have a forum friend for years and years that hails from Australia. She kept talking about it being chilly season and needing to put her jumper on. Genuinely confused thinking in my head well why are you taking your jumper off during the work day woman? Little by little I learn more over the pond English which seems to differ from our
'american'
What is a jumper in American English? I know you use sweater but what did you think your friend was putting on?

Figgy1

Premium Member
Okay for those who wanted to see the princess room in all its glory.... Here's how i painted gender neutral room before...
View attachment 267915

And here's how the princess room looks now (which definitely fits her personality better)...

View attachment 267916
View attachment 267917
View attachment 267918
View attachment 267919

Of course some photos had to be included from our trip to Disney...
View attachment 267920

And here's the royal Highness herself...
View attachment 267921

You cannot tell from the pictures but that pink wall is glittery and sparkly. It's too subtle to show up in the photos though.
It's beautiful:inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove: My dh won't let me do it to our room:grumpy::grumpy::grumpy::grumpy::grumpy::grumpy:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
One of my favorite students ended up going to Wooster in Ohio and it is 60,000 or so a year which is so crazy to me. But with all the scholarships (most of them renewable) he got it is about $6,000 for him for the year. It is truly amazing what scholarships can do. I am really proud of him for all of his hard work. I'm just glad it wasn't that price when I got my degree. I don't envy these kids nowadays with the price, but I suppose the price I paid probably seemed expensive to my parents then. :)

I was listening to a financial advisor talking about debt. He mentioned how younger people need many years to pay off their college student loans.

Then, he said there is another group of older Americans also in college loan debt--those who lost their jobs in the economic downturn some years ago. They had to reinvent themselves and some went to college (or grad school) to gain new skills. So he now sees people in their 60s who are still paying off their own student loans. Yikes.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
The Terminix man that was here yesterday didn't do much. He placed two mouse traps virtually next to each other behind/near our back door. There's a huge separation between the door, and the floor, even with the door closed. Our house/door has shifted a whole lot due to construction, and huge trucks traveling down the streets nearby. There are also two holes/cracks nearby outside the back door. Not sure how mice are entering exactly, but after moving lots of stuff from under my back porch we found lots of evidence of mice. Mice Poop everywhere. I swept and vacuumed a lot yesterday. My grandson's cousin appeared just at the right time, and I put him to work. The area is less cluttered now, and I think the food source has been removed. Didn't think mice would eat grass seed, or I wouldn't have stored the 1/2 used bag where it was. My tenant is keeping her cats in because she's afraid they will touch the traps. The traps are one of those cardboard glue traps, and then another one with bait, but that's all enclosed. Do I feel better. No Not really. I walk around my house always looking. Even though technically the mouse was never up here. Did get upstairs, but the cats killed that one. I still think the cat/cats carried that one up there, or chased it, but they're not talking, so I don't know for sure.

If you can see any actual holes, use steel wool to close them up. Also, extermination takes a while to completely eradicate the problem. Don't blame you for being skittish about all this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom