The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I am so one with the earth. Love my gardens, veggie plants, tree hugging type. My kids not so much. So am I surprised when my DD has a moment of weakness when and purchases a 2" little daisy starter set complete with mulch and seeds? Yes I am. More stunned even with such a small acknowledgement of my lone passion.

DXTZeziXcAEZBo1.jpg

Yet I am far more stunned that it says plant 5 seeds and there are at least 100 seeds.

What really caught my eye @Songbird76 and @RedNoseMickey this kit from Target is from the Netherlands.
Yes we Americans imported Daisy Flowers seeds from the Netherlands. A flower as common here as a dandoline weed.

Your DD must be sick of winter if she planted those. Once they pop up that will be a nice dose of spring. I used to force daffodils bulbs in pots too. Kept them in the fridge for awhile then out to the counter. Soon I would have some pretty yellow flowers in the dead of winter. Until they too died, oh wow I turned that quickly...😳😃

Goofyernmost

Your dad was right. My mother never learned how to swim, so it was a priority to her that all her kids learned to swim, because she never could (but she never took lessons, so go figure . . . :rolleyes: ).

I started swim lessons at 5 with a Red Cross beginner swim program for kids. Then went to the local Y for swimming for many years following that. My mother was elated with my progress--she said I was a fish in water! :hilarious:
When my Mother was a teenager her boyfriend drowned in a nearby river. After that she had a lifelong fear of (not water) swimming! When my sister and I would go anywhere near open water she would panic. We once went to the Bay of Fundy in New Brunswick at low tide and walked out in the dry ocean floor. Someone near her said that the tide was due to start coming in and she practically had a heart attack fearing that it came in as a wall of water that we couldn't get away from. Anything above our ankles set her off.

I bought a 24 foot above ground pool when my kids were fairly young and they practically lived in it all summer long. They taught themselves how to swim. (I never learned how until I joined the military and had to learn. Didn't really have any problem with it though.) My girls loved to do acrobatics in the water and would do handstands which my mother could not watch. She could barely stand it when their heads were above water. I finally had to ask my girls not to do that when their grandmother was around least she die on the spot.

Last edited:

MouseDreaming

My school stayed open to the end of the traditional school day. The school district canceled all after school and evening events. The wind is really picking up. At 3:45PM I saw one wire dangling and flapping from a utility pole. Windshields are covered with slush. Driveways are still fine.
Thanks for asking.....and wishing all of you a safe and good night. :)
Stay safe!

MouseDreaming

State schools by me if you are a resident are under 6k per year if you commute. Spending 50k a year for college is nuts, especially if you add grad school to that.
Then stay there. Do that. I won't tell you what my son's tuition is, but it is more than your end figure. The only way he can go there is scholarship money pays for half, making it cheaper than U of I. Last time I looked, it was at $35,000 per year, in state. Not much available for academic scholarship.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Then stay there. Do that. I won't tell you what my son's tuition is, but it is more than your end figure. The only way he can go there is scholarship money pays for half, making it cheaper than U of I. Last time I looked, it was at $35,000 per year, in state. Not much available for academic scholarship.

One of my favorite students ended up going to Wooster in Ohio and it is 60,000 or so a year which is so crazy to me. But with all the scholarships (most of them renewable) he got it is about $6,000 for him for the year. It is truly amazing what scholarships can do. I am really proud of him for all of his hard work. I'm just glad it wasn't that price when I got my degree. I don't envy these kids nowadays with the price, but I suppose the price I paid probably seemed expensive to my parents then. :)

BAChicagoGal

The Terminix man that was here yesterday didn't do much. He placed two mouse traps virtually next to each other behind/near our back door. There's a huge separation between the door, and the floor, even with the door closed. Our house/door has shifted a whole lot due to construction, and huge trucks traveling down the streets nearby. There are also two holes/cracks nearby outside the back door. Not sure how mice are entering exactly, but after moving lots of stuff from under my back porch we found lots of evidence of mice. Mice Poop everywhere. I swept and vacuumed a lot yesterday. My grandson's cousin appeared just at the right time, and I put him to work. The area is less cluttered now, and I think the food source has been removed. Didn't think mice would eat grass seed, or I wouldn't have stored the 1/2 used bag where it was. My tenant is keeping her cats in because she's afraid they will touch the traps. The traps are one of those cardboard glue traps, and then another one with bait, but that's all enclosed. Do I feel better. No Not really. I walk around my house always looking. Even though technically the mouse was never up here. Did get upstairs, but the cats killed that one. I still think the cat/cats carried that one up there, or chased it, but they're not talking, so I don't know for sure.

MySmallWorldof4

DH looked up UCF near Orlando. In state is $6300. UNC Charlotte $7000 in state. If we were to move in the future those would be the 2 places we would consider moving to. We both (dh and I) to an expensive grad school and we got a great education, but paying those loans off:hungover: I have smartened up in my middle ages. It is not where you go to school, but what you do when you are there and what you do when you are out. For the heck of it I had ds look up where Bob Iger went to school and what major he had. He went to Ithaca College in NY, which is just your average run of the mill school, and he had a degree in Television and Radio. With that he became CEO. So he worked himself up through the ranks of different companies.

FutureCEO

I just looked up my school way back when. It is now $39,000. Room and board is $14,000.

It helped that my school was run by the Sisters of Mercy (oh, the irony) and my aunt just happened to be one of them (though she didn't work for the school).

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
The Terminix man that was here yesterday didn't do much. He placed two mouse traps virtually next to each other behind/near our back door. There's a huge separation between the door, and the floor, even with the door closed. Our house/door has shifted a whole lot due to construction, and huge trucks traveling down the streets nearby. There are also two holes/cracks nearby outside the back door. Not sure how mice are entering exactly, but after moving lots of stuff from under my back porch we found lots of evidence of mice. Mice Poop everywhere. I swept and vacuumed a lot yesterday. My grandson's cousin appeared just at the right time, and I put him to work. The area is less cluttered now, and I think the food source has been removed. Didn't think mice would eat grass seed, or I wouldn't have stored the 1/2 used bag where it was. My tenant is keeping her cats in because she's afraid they will touch the traps. The traps are one of those cardboard glue traps, and then another one with bait, but that's all enclosed. Do I feel better. No Not really. I walk around my house always looking. Even though technically the mouse was never up here. Did get upstairs, but the cats killed that one. I still think the cat/cats carried that one up there, or chased it, but they're not talking, so I don't know for sure.

Either ask for you money back or make them come back out and actually fix the mouse problem. Those glue traps don't really solve the problem.

Figgy1

Premium Member
True, you need the calcium at that age unless you have an allergy to it.

I cut it out because it supposedly makes asthma worse. It has helped a lot, and I've had fewer sinus infections and not a single case of laryngitis. So there is some truth to it and is good to try for some people, but a lousy suggestion for someone who's still growing.

Although I do miss my morning bowl of Cinamon Toast Crunch, and substitutes just aren't the same.
and yet some people make fun of my broccoli and kale consumption. You absorb more from them than from milk:joyfull:

Figgy1

Premium Member
I got two packages today.

Package #1 3 new Disney books. Vault of Walt Vol 6 by Jim Korkis, Call Me Walt by Jim Korkis and The Unauthorized Story of the Haunted Mansion by Jeff Baham

and

Package #2 I ordered Joffrey's Coffee! I ordered the Jiko, Kona, French Bistro, Boma, and California Grill blends. I ordered those because I have had them all before. But now I have to decide which to have for breakfast tomorrow! Any suggestions?

I am very excited for my weekend!
One of each if you have a Keurig with a self fill filter:hungry:

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
and yet some people make fun of my broccoli and kale consumption. You absorb more from them than from milk:joyfull:

We don't give my daughter milk. She's not intolerant but her doctor suggested we stopped for various reasons, so we did. When we tell people their first reaction is always BUT WHERE DOES SHE GET HER CALCIUM?!!?! I don't think many people realize that you can get more calcium from veggies :joyfull::joyfull:

Figgy1

Premium Member
Good morning. We're fine and have not lost power but the interweb has been down until just a bit ago. No cell service from any provider around here. We're lucky as many not far from us have no power an by close I'm talking maybe half a mile. The upside my house is Florida toasty hot and my dh isn't saying anything about it.(insert green grinning guy). Today's breakfast for the guys fruit salad, French toast bagels and asparagus/onion omlettes. Snow total is somewhere between 12 and 18 inches can't really tell with all the drifting

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom