The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I like her but find her a bit too polite when talking about bad food. The guys at disunplugged will just say it sucked if it did. I don't always agree with them but they speak their minds. My favorite was Tony's review View attachment 267458
Yeah disunplugged is direct alright. On a whole I find them floating to the darkside more often than not. That is why I like AJ's DFB I don't mind her being polite, as long as she tells me you must eat this or this cupcake is dry I don't need her to be harsh.

I grow tired of the other groups this is carp and that is carp type podcast. When you are attempting to be a professional blogger you take the time to write, think about it before you post it. Also what wantabe bloggers have yet to learn.

However there is another podcast I use to listen to that I originally loved. Now it is a podcast of how great he is and his following is almost cult adoration. Everything that comes out of his mouth is so glowing that one would think he was the son of Walt Disney. Bluck. I came to the conclusion a few years ago I couldn't trust his reviews because everything was awesome.

donaldtoo

Hey everyone........

So.......my doctor has been insisting that I have a colonoscopy for like a year, and the inevitable has finally arrived. I have to have the procedure a week from tomorrow (March 9).

I'm totally freaking out and could use some reassurance that (hopefully) it's not that bad from people who have had it done.

I hear the prep where you have to fast for 24 hours is worse than the procedure.

Any comments are welcome, although I don't know why I have to do this anyway. All they are going to find in there is vodka. ;)

Buddy, I've had 2 of them, so far. Ain't no thang compared to the alternative. My grandfather on my pops side died from colorectal cancer in '78. He would have survived if he would have gone to a doc when he first started having symptoms. Finally, my grandmother tricked him into going to the doc by saying it was an appointment for her, but, by then it was stage 4. He was gone within a year. Loved that man, but, that was dumb.
You'll be out like a stone and it'll be over in no time. The not-so-fun prep isn't exactly fun, but, again, miles better than the alternative...even if you survive colon cancer that you could have cut off at the pass with a simple colonoscopy sooner, your life is gonna' be much more hell than that simple colonoscopy,
GUARENTEED...!!!!!
Bottom line IMHO...GET. IT. DONE.

Be well, Buddy!
We'd kinda' like ya' around here for a while...!!!!! 😉

Gabe1

Almost entire meals. Saturday's party will most likely get postponed due to weather. I had big plans for Sunday. A movie marathon and wine.

Scratches head. And I am sorry.

But how the heck do you get invited to family events and be the caterer? And this is why my family meets at a nice restaurant for most events. While I do enjoying cooking and am good at it nobody best volunteer me to caterer family events let alone multiple ones in a weekend.

Cesar R M

This kind of baseless data drives me crazy.

We had 3 foreign exchange students over 5 years from Germany all from the same family. First an extremely classy young woman and wise beyond her years. The next one was still a well mannered young person but more of a spit fire and had ways of finding fun. The youngest we wanted to ship back. A sour person, always gloomy and would do things to provoke my family and would whine about everything and liked nothing. She would also come out of shower and parade around the house in a bra and panties which made my Dad beyond uncomfortable. So three non American kids from across the pond. America isn't perfect but I find on a whole lots of people just view us unfairly as all as Ugly Americans. Now placing all of our kids and parents into one size fits all type demographic and making making sweeping over generalizations is beyond insulting. Me, close that browser. Put the kid in their room and tell them they can only come out when they act properly and not whine or throw tantrums. They learn pretty quickly.

I fail to understand some over the pond parenting styles but I wouldn't dare say everyone over the pond is this way with their children.

ORLANDO – An Italian tourist was arrested Saturday after allegedly kicking his 3-year-old son in the face at Walt Disney World's Epcot theme park.

Central Florida News 13 reports Dario Napolitano was arrested after allegedly kicking the boy while the child was in his stroller at the Mexico exhibit in Epcot's World Showcase.

According to a police report, several witnesses said they saw Napolitano, a doctor in Italy, kick his son after arguing with his wife and children.

Detectives say the boy had a cut below his left eye, bruising above his eyebrow and his entire left eye was swollen.

Napolitano and his wife blamed their older son for the child's injuries in the report.

"(Napolitano) yelled at him a second time to stop and he complied throwing [the younger son] out of the stroller on the ground. He went up to his son [the older son] and slapped him twice across the face because he hurt his brother," the report reads, according to Central Florida News 13.

Napolitano was freed on $2,000 bond over the weekend. Neither he nor his wife allowed his son to be taken to a hospital.
Fox News US
I think the last part is baffling.. refusing the kid to get taken to the hospital? just boot them out of the country then o_o

Gabe1

I think with the $22 price tag it will be exactly what they serve at lunch put out buffet style with some fillers.:cautious:

I'd be so disappointed to waste a table service on that venue. I look at places like Teppan Edo, Crystal Palace, Prime Time, Yak & Yeti just to name a few that are not a waste of a Table Service.

Cesar R M

OK, I have a serious question, and am not trying to be a smart***, or be judgemental in any way. But, what is the ultimate goal of all of this for your child?
There is a very popular local radio talk show host here. He and I played on rival HS soccer teams back in the day (incidentally, DWifey did a temp fill-in job at the radio station a few months back for one day, and he remembered me, but remembered my next younger bro better 'cause they graduated the same year). Anyway, he ended up being a very successful field goal kicker for the Universty of Texas for all 4 years of college. He then went on to try out for the Dallas Cowboys, and was let go personally by Tom Landry himself (younger folks, Google 😉). After the Houston Oiler kicker back in the day (can't remember his name) got blown up on a kick and his leg was destroyed, they called him and 3 other guys in for tryouts. They gave him the contract to be the kicker as he was leaving the facility. He was elated. Unfortunately, by the time he woke up the next morning, the NFL strike had started, and his contract was torn up...all that money gone. He was never offered another NFL contract again...his window had closed.
He was smart enough to get his degree in marketing while at UT and is also a marketing professor there part time. He has talked many times about the percentages of kids that start out in any sport, move on to the next stage even smaller, then the next even way smaller, etc. But, that is where it usually stops for most, as the odds become infinitesimally smaller as the level increases. Just think about all the great college football players that went on to the NFL and couldn't hack it. It's a WHOLE different game in the big leagues.
Not remotely, remotely, remotely, remotely, close to every child is going to be a sports hero, no matter how many sports a parent puts them in and how hard they push them. It just ain't happenin'.
Again, I'm just curious as to the motivation for all of that vs. picking just one sport or activity and focusing more on academic endeavors, as a more realistic backup.
Again, no judgement, just a serious inquirey.
I will understand if you choose to pass.
Agree, there needs to be some balance. For example, I've seen many times how parents want to fulfill their own dreams of being a sports by shoving the responsibility on their children.

The way the US sometimes is portrayed as holy in terms of sports (specially NFL and Soccer) is disturbing.
Specially when they actively refuse to punish or get these "stars" under control when they do bad things. Even the police refusing to intervene because "oh wow, he's our own superstar!". Same with coaches, even after countless of news about sexual harassment.. they still keep them protected and glorified.

Cesar R M

I'd be so disappointed to waste a table service on that venue. I look at places like Teppan Edo, Crystal Palace, Prime Time, Yak & Yeti just to name a few that are not a waste of a Table Service.

I'm still baffled why they don't build another restaurant near the archways behind Pinocchio, there space and the shared kitchen system could help. Or in the Circus area, theres plenty of space around.

This reeks of "synergy" and "most efficient!" BS of Disney as of late.

21stamps

OK, I have a serious question, and am not trying to be a smart***, or be judgemental in any way. But, what is the ultimate goal of all of this for your child?
There is a very popular local radio talk show host here. He and I played on rival HS soccer teams back in the day (incidentally, DWifey did a temp fill-in job at the radio station a few months back for one day, and he remembered me, but remembered my next younger bro better 'cause they graduated the same year). Anyway, he ended up being a very successful field goal kicker for the Universty of Texas for all 4 years of college. He then went on to try out for the Dallas Cowboys, and was let go personally by Tom Landry himself (younger folks, Google 😉). After the Houston Oiler kicker back in the day (can't remember his name) got blown up on a kick and his leg was destroyed, they called him and 3 other guys in for tryouts. They gave him the contract to be the kicker as he was leaving the facility. He was elated. Unfortunately, by the time he woke up the next morning, the NFL strike had started, and his contract was torn up...all that money gone. He was never offered another NFL contract again...his window had closed.
He was smart enough to get his degree in marketing while at UT and is also a marketing professor there part time. He has talked many times about the percentages of kids that start out in any sport, move on to the next stage even smaller, then the next even way smaller, etc. But, that is where it usually stops for most, as the odds become infinitesimally smaller as the level increases. Just think about all the great college football players that went on to the NFL and couldn't hack it. It's a WHOLE different game in the big leagues.
Not remotely, remotely, remotely, remotely, close to every child is going to be a sports hero, no matter how many sports a parent puts them in and how hard they push them. It just ain't happenin'.
Again, I'm just curious as to the motivation for all of that vs. picking just one sport or activity and focusing more on academic endeavors, as a more realistic backup.
Again, no judgement, just a serious inquirey.
I will understand if you choose to pass.

Honestly, the goal is simple- what makes him happy.
That said, I did start him in sports at age 3, which at that time was strictly my decision. I’m a huge fan of sports, I played indoor soccer and sand volleyball until age 36 (I’d still play indoor if I had the time) I’ve had a wonderful experience with sports throughout my life, and I come from a very sports oriented immediate and extended family. Some of my first memories include playing in the dirt at my dad’s baseball games when I was a little kid. Ha ha.
It was important to my parents for myself and my siblings to play sports as well.. we could choose what we wanted to play, or dance or dive.. but they highly encouraged us to do something in school or out of school (we’re all athletic so it wasn’t a bad “forced”). Both of them ended up being our coaches at a few of our different school sports, each until we finished 8th grade.
I think that sports teach great life lessons from a young age.
To be clear- I don’t think sports are the only way, I’m just saying my view for my family.

From a very young age in sports I had to deal with hard work, setting goals, time management, commitment, team work, individual responsibility and accountability to myself, my coaches, and my team.. and sometimes- great disappointment, but other times- great reward. During it all, and as I continued to grow, I made wonderful relationships within my school, as everyone does, but also a closeness with kids and families outside of my school with the select soccer and diving. My diving coach was like a 3rd parent to me. My dad was my soccer coach, so he was my actual parent. ;)
I know that my sister felt the same about her gymnastic coach. My sister is now 34 and my dad still played golf with her old gymnastic coach up until last year when he passed away. My sister and I both had to travel for our main sport. Being in those intense situations, traveling with teammates and their families, made us all form a bond that has lasted even til today.

Regarding club sports - I would love for my child to have the same experience as myself and my sister had as I mentioned above. I would accept if he didn’t want to make that kind of commitment though, and I would never force him. I did let him tryout for baseball last year, but I did not let him tryout for soccer until this past October...even though he asked repeatedly.

So far he hasn’t met a sport that he doesn’t like, although I, as the mean Mom, have said “No” to hockey, and that will not change. He’s been begging for lacrosse for 2 years.. I have said “maybe later” to that. We’re a lacrosse family, at least the men, but logistically I can’t add that sport with 2 other spring sports right now.

Would I like him to get a college scholarship? Of course. But that’s not my motivation for sports. I believe in being well rounded, in formal education, sports, volunteering, other extracurricular activities. We aren’t a family who has much downtime, and I’m sure my kid may appear ‘over scheduled’ to strangers, but I’ve been overscheduled my whole life, so it’s just how I’m wired, and so far he thrives the same way I did.

Again, I’m not saying sports are the end all be all. I was also a Girl Scout (until 6th or 7th grade) and from 7th grade on I volunteered at local places a few hours per week(mandatory in high school), I was and still am an insatiable reader, and I try to push my son towards that more than I’ve ever had to push him in sports.lol.

So I guess this whole story of my background is just saying that- my parents never had dreams or goals of any of us becoming pro athletes or even getting college sports scholarships. My sister was on the national team, but they did not force her, and she retired at 17. They just wanted us to have fun, be active, and have as many experiences as possible.
That’s how I was raised, and that’s what I want for my son.

Interestingly, and I may have mentioned his before, my sister turned down a full ride (for soccer) to a Division 1 State university.. Although I think my dad almost had a heart attack after her reaction, he agreed and supported her with what she wanted for her future, and that school wouldn’t set her up the best way for her career goals. So she declined, and accepted entry into a school which doesn’t allow any academic scholarships for their athletes. Luckily she received a few scholarships thru her high school for college, at least that was some consolation. :hilarious:

I would do the same as my dad if I was ever in that position with my own son.

Being a good human, acadademics, and future career come first, but you can do that while playing sports, and/or any other extracurricular activities. :) The main thing that I want for him, is to never look back on his life and think “I wish I would have done.. or tried.. or experienced...”
With the exception of travel hockey, he’ll never experience that. :joyfull:

Gabe1

I'm still baffled why they don't build another restaurant near the archways behind Pinocchio, there space and the shared kitchen system could help. Or in the Circus area, theres plenty of space around.

This reeks of "synergy" and "most efficient!" BS of Disney as of late.

They could just use HorseShoe, it is abandoned so much of the year. What they won't do to keep the dining plan from crashing.

Now that the DP include liquor so many people are crying fowl. Many calling for a under 21 year old price since the 9 year old to 20 year olds are paying Adult pricing but obviously are not being served adult beverages. I get that. I also have a DD that hasn't had a dozen drinks in her lifetime and none of which has she ever finished.

BuddyThomas

Buddy, I've had 2 of them, so far. Ain't no thang compared to the alternative. My grandfather on my pops side died from colorectal cancer in '78. He would have survived if he would have gone to a doc when he first started having symptoms. Finally, my grandmother tricked him into going to the doc by saying it was an appointment for her, but, by then it was stage 4. He was gone within a year. Loved that man, but, that was dumb.
You'll be out like a stone and it'll be over in no time. The not-so-fun prep isn't exactly fun, but, again, miles better than the alternative...even if you survive colon cancer that you could have cut off at the pass with a simple colonoscopy sooner, your life is gonna' be much more hell than that simple colonoscopy,
GUARENTEED...!!!!!
Bottom line IMHO...GET. IT. DONE.

Be well, Buddy!
We'd kinda' like ya' around here for a while...!!!!! 😉
Thank you!!

21stamps

I understand the heartbreak of kids not making the final cut in anything. I was a swimmer and a gymnast. My kids ultimately were competitive swimmers. Still each had stints in soccer and baseball/softball and I had the forethought to make sure they both had the skills to play golf as golf plays a role in so many businesses with golf outings etc.

My kids were above average swimmers both in high school and in club. Olympian material, no way. And their coaches drummed into their heads they needed to study hard as there was no such thing as Professional Swimmers like there is in Baseball, Hockey, Basketball etc. It wasn't about them slacking in their academics. They both went onto college and received degrees so they did not trade sports for academics by any means. Universities look for more than just SAT scores. They look for applicants to have very diverse interests and a commitment to something.

The commitment to sports is not any different than students and their parents have to band or choir. Dang those lessons are expensive as are the instruments. The private lessons, the competitions, the fundraising at concession stands for the activities their children have committed to. It teaches lessons in time management, setting goals, reaching goals, trying your best and even better being part of either a team of a group activity like band. While my kids were not band kids I look at these kids Marching at Disney and they have that same deep commitment as do their parent both with encouragement and funding. Sports just like band doesn't have to be questioned as to
But, what is the ultimate goal of all of this for your child? Not all kids grow up to be in professional marching bands and not all kids in club sports go onto the olympics or professional sports and that is OK.

My kids swimming put them in responsible positions in Aquatics in management positions by the age of 20. Both of them moved up to trainers for lifeguards. My DS went onto pull a Parks and Rec degree and landed a very luctrative postion by the time he was 25 and has moved up the corpate later 3 times since hired. So from Club Swimmer to Adult life yes his commitment to something had its end goals.

My DD too has stayed with the Large Waterpark she still manages part time. She also does their statistics for them for sales and admission demographics. While she has zero interest in Park and Rec it helped fund her college tuition and is now continuing to help fund her master degree. Her Supervisor when she applied to the University she works for now was a business reference for job history of 10 years. Her new boss told her cause she thought she should know what strong work ethics she had. So while being a professional swimmer was not ever her end goal or mine for her or my son its long term commitment did have a long term benefit. We have some other members on here who children were band students. It can be a real good application to a University and often with some real nice scholarship funds if their goals are to go to a University.

So my opinion @21stamps is encourage his interests. He will likely land on something that is his thing and where his talents excel at.
Wow thank you!
I love everything about this. I feel the exact same way.

It’s wonderful that your daughters had a wonderful experience with swimming!..and beyond!

You gymnasts though.. you anger me when you get on a diving board and can do the same dive that took me years, and many bruised thighs, to learn. ;)

About golf, I hate it, mostly because I’m terrible and do not have the desire to learn.
I love men who play, I only dated men who played, and by no coincidence I married an avid golfer.. but I’d rather drink my mimosas on Sunday mornings poolside, rather than being on a golf course. ;)
My kid though, obsessed from age 2. ..finally graduated from plastic clubs, and got his first real (small) set at 4.
He does a lot of camps and also golfs with my dad. When he asks me about his swing, I have to YouTube it before I can give a response.:hilarious: Luckily he doesn’t need my help much any more. :)

This is one of my fave photos of him. It was his first day of his first full course camp, prior to that they were putting or hitting only.. this was actually entire play and etiquette (we weren’t allowed to sign up til age 5).. he was trying to be such a “cool man”, but he was soooo excited. He even chose his own outfit that day.lol

D403D02A-EE2B-4BFB-8367-D2F56B3C8799.jpeg

Last edited:

Gabe1

Wow thank you!
I love everything about this. I feel the exact same way.

It’s wonderful that your daughters had a wonderful experience with swimming!..and beyond!

You gymnasts though.. you anger me when you get on a diving board and can do the same dive that took me years, and many bruised thighs, to learn. ;)

Your welcome.

And yes I would have likely been a better diver than competitive swimmer however when I miss stepped I landed on a mat not a steel board. My DS & DD had the same high school coach for swimming. He actively recruited gymnasts to dive for the team.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom