The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Hope it is nothing, and you are doing okay.

It is improving today thanks. Weird flu type indicators but none of them full blown. Weird. Betting there was a low grade fever and why I was feeling off and oogie.

And on that note: Anyone have any specific recommendations on the new fangled thermometers? I went and started reading reviews and it made my head hurt more. :facepalm: Bring back the days of glass and mercury. :p

Gabe1

She is a Morkie. Part Maltese, Part Yorkie. All sweetheart.:inlove:

She looks like a little doll, so dang cute. :inlove: I would have never guessed Maltese or Yorkie and they generally have miniature bone structures and very narrow torsos and chests. That why I was thinking more Westie or Cairn because of the body structure and coloring. Does she like her new hairdo?

Gabe1

Oh goodness. No, no thanks. My little boy is now taller than me as he should be, but it is still sad.

It was a milestone for my DS when he was taller than me. The highlight of his 16th year when he grew 11 inches in that year. (bought a lot of blue jeans that year and shoes) He had barely grown in middle school while many of the guys had and he was short, slender and knew the genetics of the parents. So when he was taller than me it was a Woot! His Dad is over a foot taller than I am and he grew almost as tall as his Dad. For a while when DS was just a head taller than me he enjoyed dusting the top of my head. :cautious: But he became useful cause he could reach things on the top shelves in the kitchen. :happy:

donaldtoo

I was a competitive springboard diver from age 7.. plus I played all of my school sports and spring select soccer..
my sister was a gymnast from age 4, made the national team at 6 or 7.. and also played select soccer, but she only did a year or two of softball.
My brother didn’t specialize in one sport like we did, but he did play all of the school sports.
Sometimes our family had to split up if one of my dive meets conflicted with my sister’s Gymnastic meets out of town. I’m the oldest, so I started flying by myself around age 14 to meet them in places like Iowa after my own meet and staying with my grandparents.lol
It was hectic, but I never remember my mom being stressed out about it.

Sports have changed.. especially select sports. If I felt that my son could have made a club team next year I would have waited. I didn’t allow him to try out last year, and he’s already behind some of the other kids with their fancy foot skills. This is something he wanted and I didn’t think we could afford to wait any longer.

He also tried out for a club baseball team last June- for this Spring. He totally choked at tryouts and didn’t make the team. I feel like baseball isn’t as urgent and he can try again this year.. BUT, even though he was heartbroken at the time, I’m SO GLAD that he didn’t make the team. It would have been a nightmare to do both. He’s playing for his school this year, he’s playing up with the 9U team, so that’s good enough I think. We’re going to have a serious talk about baseball and soccer for next year.. if he wants to tryout for a Club baseball team again, and if he makes it, then he has to choose between club baseball and club soccer before he accepts the offer.

I think it’s absolutely horrible how these clubs demand so much time from these kids at this age. Our soccer club demands a year round commitment (summer and winter is training and futsal or boarded indoor teams). Plus we have tryouts twice per year.. they didn’t do that when I was young.. now you can play Spring, spend all of that money, and may not even make your same team for the Fall. That’s so crazy to me. It’s almost impossible to make the team if you just played one, I always played SAY in the Fall and Select in the Spring.. kids today don’t have that choice.

Most of all though, I refuse to force him to become a One Sport Athlete, so we’re going to juggle as best as we can. I just wish the sports like baseball and soccer would chill out a bit at the young ages. It’s not diving or gymnastics or dance where you need to be young and retire young.. they have time for baseball and soccer and everything could change once they hit puberty. It’s too scary to put all of the eggs in one basket with sports like that.

OK, I have a serious question, and am not trying to be a smart***, or be judgemental in any way. But, what is the ultimate goal of all of this for your child?
There is a very popular local radio talk show host here. He and I played on rival HS soccer teams back in the day (incidentally, DWifey did a temp fill-in job at the radio station a few months back for one day, and he remembered me, but remembered my next younger bro better 'cause they graduated the same year). Anyway, he ended up being a very successful field goal kicker for the Universty of Texas for all 4 years of college. He then went on to try out for the Dallas Cowboys, and was let go personally by Tom Landry himself (younger folks, Google 😉). After the Houston Oiler kicker back in the day (can't remember his name) got blown up on a kick and his leg was destroyed, they called him and 3 other guys in for tryouts. They gave him the contract to be the kicker as he was leaving the facility. He was elated. Unfortunately, by the time he woke up the next morning, the NFL strike had started, and his contract was torn up...all that money gone. He was never offered another NFL contract again...his window had closed.
He was smart enough to get his degree in marketing while at UT and is also a marketing professor there part time. He has talked many times about the percentages of kids that start out in any sport, move on to the next stage even smaller, then the next even way smaller, etc. But, that is where it usually stops for most, as the odds become infinitesimally smaller as the level increases. Just think about all the great college football players that went on to the NFL and couldn't hack it. It's a WHOLE different game in the big leagues.
Not remotely, remotely, remotely, remotely, close to every child is going to be a sports hero, no matter how many sports a parent puts them in and how hard they push them. It just ain't happenin'.
Again, I'm just curious as to the motivation for all of that vs. picking just one sport or activity and focusing more on academic endeavors, as a more realistic backup.
Again, no judgement, just a serious inquirey.
I will understand if you choose to pass.

Gabe1

Well my end of the season bargain shopping quest continues....today started community days for Carson's also named, Bergners, Boston, Elder-Beerman, Herberger, and Younkers and so forth....so today we made a $5 donation to Carson's Community Foundation (the recipients of the funds sold these booklets)

So Carson's yellow dot clearance was today set at 75% off lowest mark down. And with a community coupon that you can continue to use over the next 2 days....30% off after that. So a pair of very nice leather B.O.C. shoes I've been eye'n started at $91, early this month reduced to $71. So today it had a yellow dot so 75% off the $71 and then another 30% off that. My lovely new shoes that were $91 when I first fell in love with cost me $19 with tax.
Proud of me @figmentfan423 ???

Gabe1

I was a competitive springboard diver from age 7.. plus I played all of my school sports and spring select soccer..
my sister was a gymnast from age 4, made the national team at 6 or 7.. and also played select soccer, but she only did a year or two of softball.
My brother didn’t specialize in one sport like we did, but he did play all of the school sports.
Sometimes our family had to split up if one of my dive meets conflicted with my sister’s Gymnastic meets out of town. I’m the oldest, so I started flying by myself around age 14 to meet them in places like Iowa after my own meet and staying with my grandparents.lol
It was hectic, but I never remember my mom being stressed out about it.

Sports have changed.. especially select sports. If I felt that my son could have made a club team next year I would have waited. I didn’t allow him to try out last year, and he’s already behind some of the other kids with their fancy foot skills. This is something he wanted and I didn’t think we could afford to wait any longer.

He also tried out for a club baseball team last June- for this Spring. He totally choked at tryouts and didn’t make the team. I feel like baseball isn’t as urgent and he can try again this year.. BUT, even though he was heartbroken at the time, I’m SO GLAD that he didn’t make the team. It would have been a nightmare to do both. He’s playing for his school this year, he’s playing up with the 9U team, so that’s good enough I think. We’re going to have a serious talk about baseball and soccer for next year.. if he wants to tryout for a Club baseball team again, and if he makes it, then he has to choose between club baseball and club soccer before he accepts the offer.

I think it’s absolutely horrible how these clubs demand so much time from these kids at this age. Our soccer club demands a year round commitment (summer and winter is training and futsal or boarded indoor teams). Plus we have tryouts twice per year.. they didn’t do that when I was young.. now you can play Spring, spend all of that money, and may not even make your same team for the Fall. That’s so crazy to me. It’s almost impossible to make the team if you just played one, I always played SAY in the Fall and Select in the Spring.. kids today don’t have that choice.

Most of all though, I refuse to force him to become a One Sport Athlete, so we’re going to juggle as best as we can. I just wish the sports like baseball and soccer would chill out a bit at the young ages. It’s not diving or gymnastics or dance where you need to be young and retire young.. they have time for baseball and soccer and everything could change once they hit puberty. It’s too scary to put all of the eggs in one basket with sports like that.
OK, I have a serious question, and am not trying to be a smart***, or be judgemental in any way. But, what is the ultimate goal of all of this for your child?
There is a very popular local radio talk show host here. He and I played on rival HS soccer teams back in the day (incidentally, DWifey did a temp fill-in job at the radio station a few months back for one day, and he remembered me, but remembered my next younger bro better 'cause they graduated the same year). Anyway, he ended up being a very successful field goal kicker for the Universty of Texas for all 4 years of college. He then went on to try out for the Dallas Cowboys, and was let go personally by Tom Landry himself (younger folks, Google 😉). After the Houston Oiler kicker back in the day (can't remember his name) got blown up on a kick and his leg was destroyed, they called him and 3 other guys in for tryouts. They gave him the contract to be the kicker as he was leaving the facility. He was elated. Unfortunately, by the time he woke up the next morning, the NFL strike had started, and his contract was torn up...all that money gone. He was never offered another NFL contract again...his window had closed.
He was smart enough to get his degree in marketing while at UT and is also a marketing professor there part time. He has talked many times about the percentages of kids that start out in any sport, move on to the next stage even smaller, then the next even way smaller, etc. But, that is where it usually stops for most, as the odds become infinitesimally smaller as the level increases. Just think about all the great college football players that went on to the NFL and couldn't hack it. It's a WHOLE different game in the big leagues.
Not remotely, remotely, remotely, remotely, close to every child is going to be a sports hero, no matter how many sports a parent puts them in and how hard they push them. It just ain't happenin'.
Again, I'm just curious as to the motivation for all of that vs. picking just one sport or activity and focusing more on academic endeavors, as a more realistic backup.
Again, no judgement, just a serious inquirey.
I will understand if you choose to pass.

I understand the heartbreak of kids not making the final cut in anything. I was a swimmer and a gymnast. My kids ultimately were competitive swimmers. Still each had stints in soccer and baseball/softball and I had the forethought to make sure they both had the skills to play golf as golf plays a role in so many businesses with golf outings etc.

My kids were above average swimmers both in high school and in club. Olympian material, no way. And their coaches drummed into their heads they needed to study hard as there was no such thing as Professional Swimmers like there is in Baseball, Hockey, Basketball etc. It wasn't about them slacking in their academics. They both went onto college and received degrees so they did not trade sports for academics by any means. Universities look for more than just SAT scores. They look for applicants to have very diverse interests and a commitment to something.

The commitment to sports is not any different than students and their parents have to band or choir. Dang those lessons are expensive as are the instruments. The private lessons, the competitions, the fundraising at concession stands for the activities their children have committed to. It teaches lessons in time management, setting goals, reaching goals, trying your best and even better being part of either a team of a group activity like band. While my kids were not band kids I look at these kids Marching at Disney and they have that same deep commitment as do their parent both with encouragement and funding. Sports just like band doesn't have to be questioned as to
But, what is the ultimate goal of all of this for your child? Not all kids grow up to be in professional marching bands and not all kids in club sports go onto the olympics or professional sports and that is OK.

My kids swimming put them in responsible positions in Aquatics in management positions by the age of 20. Both of them moved up to trainers for lifeguards. My DS went onto pull a Parks and Rec degree and landed a very luctrative postion by the time he was 25 and has moved up the corpate later 3 times since hired. So from Club Swimmer to Adult life yes his commitment to something had its end goals.

My DD too has stayed with the Large Waterpark she still manages part time. She also does their statistics for them for sales and admission demographics. While she has zero interest in Park and Rec it helped fund her college tuition and is now continuing to help fund her master degree. Her Supervisor when she applied to the University she works for now was a business reference for job history of 10 years. Her new boss told her cause she thought she should know what strong work ethics she had. So while being a professional swimmer was not ever her end goal or mine for her or my son its long term commitment did have a long term benefit. We have some other members on here who children were band students. It can be a real good application to a University and often with some real nice scholarship funds if their goals are to go to a University.

So my opinion @21stamps is encourage his interests. He will likely land on something that is his thing and where his talents excel at.

BuddyThomas

Hey everyone........

So.......my doctor has been insisting that I have a colonoscopy for like a year, and the inevitable has finally arrived. I have to have the procedure a week from tomorrow (March 9).

I'm totally freaking out and could use some reassurance that (hopefully) it's not that bad from people who have had it done.

I hear the prep where you have to fast for 24 hours is worse than the procedure.

Any comments are welcome, although I don't know why I have to do this anyway. All they are going to find in there is vodka. ;)

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Hey everyone........

So.......my doctor has been insisting that I have a colonoscopy for like a year, and the inevitable has finally arrived. I have to have the procedure a week from tomorrow (March 9).

I'm totally freaking out and could use some reassurance that (hopefully) it's not that bad from people who have had it done.

I hear the prep where you have to fast for 24 hours is worse than the procedure.

Any comments are welcome, although I don't know why I have to do this anyway. All they are going to find in there is vodka. ;)

I don't have any experience with the procedure, but good luck!!

Gabe1

Not particularly! I'm 5"-10" - 5'11" (depending on how long it's been since I've had traction, lol) and he's about the same height. I am the shortest one in my family though, and all our family's kids are tall. Tall and lean.

See, I put you tall for a woman at 5'10" I can see why she is on the upper end of the growth chart. My DD only came in half way between me and her Dad. So I still remain the shortest as I was in my immediate family. If only a few more inches I wouldn't be dragging a stool around the kitchen. :joyfull:

Gabe1

Hey everyone........

{{{HUGS}}} You likely doze through the procedure and have a lovely nap. :inlove:

Gabe1

I read DFB just to keep up with food offerings. I do note her reviews. She has a job I am definitely jealous of, eating at Disney for a living. While the food may not be great half the time, at least it is at Disney. ;)

Yes! She is awesome and I am jealous of her career too. Many have tried to compete with her in the world of websites and blogging but nobody does it nearly as well. She isn't mean but she is direct and honest. The honest part is where many stumble.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom