The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

That was me last night. Around 3 a.m. I smelled skunk outside for about ten minutes. Blah! 😝 Then at 4 I smelled it again...and it lingered. 😑 At 4:30 I get up and look out the window and it's grazing on the flower buds in my yard by my window. 😡 I knocked on the window and it looked around, ate some more then ambled on. The smell stayed.

I blame ground hogs (which we have a lot of) because ground hogs and skunks often live in the same burrow.
You know what, that post made me think about something. I moved to NC eight years ago and I have not seen or even come across the odor of a skunk since I have been here. I should look it up, but, I don't have the elevated concern to bother researching it. I have only seen one tiny grass snake since I have been here also, but, I'm pretty sure they exist in the area.

Last edited:

MySmallWorldof4

There is little hope of school being open tomorrow. I picked up a few things at the library and was told they will be closed tomorrow and to call first if I wish to go Monday or Tuesday. My friend who's child gets picked up by van was told to expect a call anytime after 5 This storm is looking worse by the minute up here. Come here little groundhog I have my nice warm 12 quart pots out.:angelic::angelic::angelic::angelic::angelic:
Sympathy like. Looks like your kids won't be finishing the school year until the fall.;) Well, maybe the other party will be postponed?

Figgy1

Premium Member
Sympathy like. Looks like your kids won't be finishing the school year until the fall.;) Well, maybe the other party will be postponed?
I'm sure that one will go on because it's south and east of us. The question is will we be able to get there. Arrangements have been made so if we can't bring food all will be well. Maybe not well but there will be food.

Figgy1

Premium Member
We're hunkered down and prepared for the worst but hoping everything shifts away from us. Only 10 miles away but much lower in elevation it doesn't look like it will be too bad. My dh and most of his shift is going in early tonight in case they have to leave early due to road conditions and the cherry on top is the boys said to expect a call early tonight:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: Have I ever mentioned how much I hate winter?

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
So question for the non-Americans in the group.... My friend was having a particularly rough day with her kid who was a whining mess, so i googled why kids whine. The below articles and others suggested that small children whining is largely an American problem because we raise our kids very differently from the rest of the world. Cliff notes: we build our lives around our kids and strive to give them opportunities we didn't have while the rest of the world expects children to fall in line with every day life that isn't catered to them and their personality.

So my question is.... Do kids in other countries really not whine?!?!

https://ifstudies.org/blog/why-are-american-parents-so-unhappy-a-theory

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
So question for the non-Americans in the group.... My friend was having a particularly rough day with her kid who was a whining mess, so i googled why kids whine. The below articles and others suggested that small children whining is largely an American problem because we raise our kids very differently from the rest of the world. Cliff notes: we build our lives around our kids and strive to give them opportunities we didn't have while the rest of the world expects children to fall in line with every day life that isn't catered to them and their personality.

nah . American kids whine whichever country you take them too...

;)

MySmallWorldof4

I think @Songbird76 is probably the best to answer this since she grew up in the US, but is raising European kids.

Edit: Personally I think it is ridiculous to think that only American kids whine. Maybe since we have more kids per family than in Europe we just hear them more.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Hrmmm...I don't think it's necessarilly what you are conditioned for. My mom LOVED sports....she played basketball and volleyball when she was in high school (through the YWCA, I think) and she took us to shoot hoops, she signed us up for soccer and baseball in the summers, we walked to school every morning. We were pretty active. My job has me walking usually about 10km per shift, but I tell you what, I get the chance to sit, and I'm happy to take it. I'm riding my bike at least 12 km per day to pick DS up from school, walking 10-15 km at work...but I'm definitely someone who can sit down and be stuck at home for a few days and be quite happy about it. I'm not at ALL athletically inclined, and I really don't ENJOY the activity....I HATE riding my bike, but I have no other way to get DS from school. I don't love my job, but it's convenient that I can choose my availability based around the kids' schedules so I can have income and still not ever need a babysitter. So I've been conditioned to be active, but I don't LIKE being so active. I'd spend a lot more time sitting if I could. I would much rather read a book, or watch a movie than be out walking. The only time I want to be out walking is on vacation...I can't just lie on a beach somewhere. I want to see museums and architecture and points of historical significance, not swim in the ocean or hang out in a lawn chair, but the rest of the time, give me a comfy couch and I'm good to go.

I think you came very close to what I was aiming at. You are in a very different situation there then you were accustomed to back in the states. In the summer I bike on purpose, I love it. I have a truck so I have options but still if weather permits I'll take my bike. I love Disney cause I'm bopping all over the place. I get enough down time on the buses. I admire those who can cruise, relax, sit by a pool get off the ship a few hours and eat glorious food around the clock. When I was trapped at WL day 2 I cant tell you how many times we lapped the resort. I'm too antsy for sitting and relaxing. If I have free time I'm not sitting unless it is late in the evening or weather has me trapped.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom