The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MouseDreaming

I was a competitive springboard diver from age 7.. plus I played all of my school sports and spring select soccer..
my sister was a gymnast from age 4, made the national team at 6 or 7.. and also played select soccer, but she only did a year or two of softball.
My brother didn’t specialize in one sport like we did, but he did play all of the school sports.
Sometimes our family had to split up if one of my dive meets conflicted with my sister’s Gymnastic meets out of town. I’m the oldest, so I started flying by myself around age 14 to meet them in places like Iowa after my own meet and staying with my grandparents.lol
It was hectic, but I never remember my mom being stressed out about it.

Sports have changed.. especially select sports. If I felt that my son could have made a club team next year I would have waited. I didn’t allow him to try out last year, and he’s already behind some of the other kids with their fancy foot skills. This is something he wanted and I didn’t think we could afford to wait any longer.

He also tried out for a club baseball team last June- for this Spring. He totally choked at tryouts and didn’t make the team. I feel like baseball isn’t as urgent and he can try again this year.. BUT, even though he was heartbroken at the time, I’m SO GLAD that he didn’t make the team. It would have been a nightmare to do both. He’s playing for his school this year, he’s playing up with the 9U team, so that’s good enough I think. We’re going to have a serious talk about baseball and soccer for next year.. if he wants to tryout for a Club baseball team again, and if he makes it, then he has to choose between club baseball and club soccer before he accepts the offer.

I think it’s absolutely horrible how these clubs demand so much time from these kids at this age. Our soccer club demands a year round commitment (summer and winter is training and futsal or boarded indoor teams). Plus we have tryouts twice per year.. they didn’t do that when I was young.. now you can play Spring, spend all of that money, and may not even make your same team for the Fall. That’s so crazy to me. It’s almost impossible to make the team if you just played one, I always played SAY in the Fall and Select in the Spring.. kids today don’t have that choice.

Most of all though, I refuse to force him to become a One Sport Athlete, so we’re going to juggle as best as we can. I just wish the sports like baseball and soccer would chill out a bit at the young ages. It’s not diving or gymnastics or dance where you need to be young and retire young.. they have time for baseball and soccer and everything could change once they hit puberty. It’s too scary to put all of the eggs in one basket with sports like that.
It doesn't get easier when they are in HS, and if they haven't already, they are forced to pick one or the other. When I was in HS, kids did lots of sports and clubs. Not so much any more.

Figgy1

Premium Member
We felt the same way about our lunch there. Never wanted to try it as a regular TS for dinner. Not seeing anything that makes me rethink it for 2 TS.
I like their quinoa salad at lunch and the first year it was open dinner was really good. I almost feared to would go to signature. 2nd year downhill and now "enhanced dining" I have words but will not use them here:angelic:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom