The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

21stamps

I’m debating on cancelking Netflix again. We haven’t watched it in two weeks. I’m also seriously over paying for FuboTV.
Plus, and this is nothing new, but I hate that I have to have a large cable package, when we seriously don’t even watch much tv...there’s days when the tv doesn’t get turned on except for my morning news show. But the channels we do watch require a 500,456 channel subscription.

Has anyone here cut the cord? I’m so scared of the idea, but I’m sick of paying so much for tv and streaming services.

MOXOMUMD

Maybe that was the plan all along, many of the restaurants in MK share centralized kitchens. A fine example was liberty three, which went into a full renovation of its kitchen, sort of merging them with the restaurant on the other side.
So perhaps they will just centralize Pinochios's and bring the quick food kitchens on the zone together.
This is probably true which makes me think of the hate for H&V. They have almost the same food that you would find at Tusker House or Crystal Palace or Cape May Cafe etc. They all have the same distribution companies and preparation directions and equipment so there's a standard operating procedure across the board and staff don't need to be retrained if they are moved to different restaurants.

MySmallWorldof4

I’m debating on cancelking Netflix again. We haven’t watched it in two weeks. I’m also seriously over paying for FuboTV.
Plus, and this is nothing new, but I hate that I have to have a large cable package, when we seriously don’t even watch my tv...there’s days when the tv doesn’t get turned on except for my morning news show. But the channels we do watch require a 500,456 channel subscription.

Has anyone here cut the cord? I’m so scared of the idea, but I’m sick of paying so much for tv and streaming services.
We had this discussion a bunch of months ago. @figmentfan423 did and hasn't looked back. I was going to also. We don't watch it much, especially since the kids are no longer preschoolers. They will watch dvd's or stuff on-demand. I was going to cut, but it would not have saved much money because our internet service through xfinity is the fastest service here and is basically the only company we have here in farm country.:rolleyes: I need it for schoolwork and with 6 people using it sometimes at the same time, a necessity. It would not have saved much. I did call comcast and did get them to lower our monthly bill by close to $100. We had 4 boxes and I returned 2. We have no movie channels, just have a sports package which I want. We get the Olympic channel which is basically all I have been watching, aside from the Weather Channel for months.

MySmallWorldof4

This is probably true which makes me think of the hate for H&V. They have almost the same food that you would find at Tusker House or Crystal Palace or Cape May Cafe etc. They all have the same distribution companies and preparation directions and equipment so there's a standard operating procedure across the board and staff don't need to be retrained if they are moved to different restaurants.
I honestly thought at some Disney restaurants they had there own recipe for mac and cheese. Food Network did a special on Disney Food with Marc Summers a bunch of years back. The cameras were at GF and there were kids trying different mac and cheese's to see which they liked best. Who knew it could have been all different Stouffer's recipes. Disappointed. :(

21stamps

We had this discussion a bunch of months ago. @figmentfan423 did and hasn't looked back. I was going to also. We don't watch it much, especially since the kids are no longer preschoolers. They will watch dvd's or stuff on-demand. I was going to cut, but it would not have saved much money because our internet service through xfinity is the fastest service here and is basically the only company we have here in farm country.:rolleyes: I need it for schoolwork and with 6 people using it sometimes at the same time, a necessity. It would not have saved much. I did call comcast and did get them to lower our monthly bill by close to $100. We had 4 boxes and I returned 2. We have no movie channels, just have a sports package which I want. We get the Olympic channel which is basically all I have been watching, aside from the Weather Channel for months.

The sports are my biggest concern. I have a streaming service on top of my cable sports package, called fuboTV, but we only use it for soccer.
Our cable company doesn’t offer any soccer channel on it’s own, which is super annoying.

My cable, phone and internet are also all thru the same company, it’s fiber, so they’re definitely the fastest in my area.. I probably wouldn’t save much money either if I broke up that bundle I guess.
Maybe I should call and see if I can get my bill lowered if I threaten to leave.

93boomer

Premium Member
Plus, and this is nothing new, but I hate that I have to have a large cable package, when we seriously don’t even watch much tv...there’s days when the tv doesn’t get turned on except for my morning news show. But the channels we do watch require a 500,456 channel subscription.

Yesss! We just did in December. We have SlingTv through the Internet. We have both the orange and blue levels. One had more sports channels than the other. We pay $45 a month compared to over $100 with cable. We never watched more than a couple of channels. And that was mostly PBS. So we just added Acorn TV for $5 a month. We have always had Netflix plus Amazon Prime for movies. The only thing we worry about is getting our Atlanta Braves games this season but DH is working on that. But, so far we do not miss cable at all.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

We cut the cord with cable and haven't missed it. Well, aside from the Walking Dead premiere. We have Amazon Prime which provides a lot of streamed content for "free", and Netflix. We also have HBO Go but I'm pretty sure we could do without that since the next Game of Thrones won't be back for another couple of years.

Honestly, it's pretty great. When I do sit down and turn on the TV, I mostly watch old series that I loved like Gray's Anatomy or the Gilmore Girls, but both Netflix and Amazon are creating some truly amazing content like Broadchurch and Atypical.

The sports are my biggest concern. I have a streaming service on top of my cable sports package, called fuboTV, but we only use it for soccer.
Our cable company doesn’t offer any soccer channel on it’s own, which is super annoying.

My cable, phone and internet are also all thru the same company, it’s fiber, so they’re definitely the fastest in my area.. I probably wouldn’t save much money either if I broke up that bundle I guess.
Maybe I should call and see if I can get my bill lowered if I threaten to leave.

You should definitely call! Can't hurt to find out what the cost difference would be!

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Yesss! We just did in December. We have SlingTv through the Internet. We have both the orange and blue levels. One had more sports channels than the other. We pay $45 a month compared to over $100 with cable. We never watched more than a couple of channels. And that was mostly PBS. So we just added Acorn TV for $5 a month. We have always had Netflix plus Amazon Prime for movies. The only thing we worry about is getting our Atlanta Braves games this season but DH is working on that. But, so far we do not miss cable at all.

We really miss watching hockey, but when we did the math we're saving $100 a month not having cable. So.... that's $1200 a year! If you asked me to pay $1200 a year to watch hockey on tv I'd look at you like you were insane, but that's what we were basically doing.

21stamps

Check out fuboTV streaming service! They have baseball on there. The problem is, it’s $45 per month. So if I added more streaming services, then I was just be back to where I started, but with less, once I lose the bundle discount on my phone and internet.

The list of channels that we watch most regularly are-
PBS, a cable news channel, the discovery channels, Fox Sports, Big Ten Network, CBS Sports, and ESPN... oh and ABC, I think, whatever channel American Nina Warrior is on, kiddo loves that show. I do have HBO, but I’m leaning towards canceling that either way. For the last few years I really only watch it when GoT is on.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Check out fuboTV streaming service! They have baseball on there. The problem is, it’s $45 per month. So if I added more streaming services, then I was just be back to where I started, but with less, once I lose the bundle discount on my phone and internet.

PBS, a cable news channel, the discovery channels, Fox Sports, Big Ten Network, CBS Sports, and ESPN... oh and ABC, I think, whatever channel American Nina Warrior is on, kiddo loves that show. I do have HBO, but I’m leaning towards canceling that either way. For the last few years I really only watch it when GoT is on.

All the news channels stream online. And from what I understand.... Prime struck a multi year contract with PBS to be the *only* streaming service allowed to show its content.

21stamps

We really miss watching hockey, but when we did the math we're saving $100 a month not having cable. So.... that's $1200 a year! If you asked me to pay $1200 a year to watch hockey on tv I'd look at you like you were insane, but that's what we were basically doing.
That’s how I look at it. I’m sitting down with a list of all of my “extras” for tv and media/iPhone storage (which is relatively cheap). Once you add all of the “relatively” cheap subscriptions annually, the numbers get shocking. I cancelled Netflix last year and we did fine, just went back to it 2 months ago.. but we haven’t used it much.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
That’s how I look at it. I’m sitting down with a list of all of my “extras” for tv and media/iPhone storage (which is relatively cheap). Once you add all of the “relatively” cheap subscriptions annually, the numbers get shocking. I cancelled Netflix last year and we did fine, just went back to it 2 months ago.. but we haven’t used it much.

We use it pretty non-stop. Between Netflix and Prime, we have everything the kid could possibly want to watch (although we did buy a substantial number of Disney movies on Amazon Anywhere). The thing we love about both Netflix and Prime is the ability to download content for viewing without internet, and also that we can stream on so many devices. It makes road trips a breeze.

21stamps

All the news channels stream online. And from what I understand.... Prime struck a multi year contract with PBS to be the *only* streaming service allowed to show its content.

Good to know! PBS is also the least of my worries because I’m an annual subscriber to our local PBS (CET), I can watch everything online and stream multiple Victoria (my favorite) shows in a week instead of waiting for next Sunday’s episode. Lol.

I’m going to add everything up today, figure out the actual difference, then call my cable company and see if they can provide any savings. We’ll see how it goes.

StarWarsGirl

I buy all of my movies at Best Buy for the rewards. Sometimes they run really good sales on new releases.
Toys r Us also occasionally runs a buy one get one half sale.
I used to get my movies at Best Buy when I was in college. There was one right near my college when I was there, so I would go in between classes or afterward. Now, the closest one is a good 15 minutes from work. I order from Amazon. Just easier.

21stamps

I used to get my movies at Best Buy when I was in college. There was one right near my college when I was there, so I would go in between classes or afterward. Now, the closest one is a good 15 minutes from work. I order from Amazon. Just easier.

Best Buy and Dick’s Sporting Goods are in the same plaza about 15 minutes from my house.. I’m at Dick’s almost weekly(not really, but it does feel that way), so the convenience for me is always Best Buy, I can knock two things out quickly.

Umm.. ok. D i c k ‘ s

93boomer

Premium Member

Ohh I will check it out because you watch a lot of the channels we watch!! Thanks!

93boomer

Premium Member
We cut the cord with cable and haven't missed it. Well, aside from the Walking Dead premiere. We have Amazon Prime which provides a lot of streamed content for "free", and Netflix. We also have HBO Go but I'm pretty sure we could do without that since the next Game of Thrones won't be back for another couple of years.

Honestly, it's pretty great. When I do sit down and turn on the TV, I mostly watch old series that I loved like Gray's Anatomy or the Gilmore Girls, but both Netflix and Amazon are creating some truly amazing content like Broadchurch and Atypical.

You should definitely call! Can't hurt to find out what the cost difference would be!
I love Broadchurch!!

StarWarsGirl

BTW-love that backpack!
Oh, my purse. Why thank you. It's the second incarnation of that purse. I bought the first one after graduating high school and loved it to the point of wearing it out. I went to buy another one, but didn't find another one at WDW I liked better, so I bought it again! They increased the price $10, but this one is slightly larger and holding up better, so in this case, a slight price increase was worth it.

20180228_085329.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom