The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
This is such a wonderful idea. I bet A loves bringing the goodies to the humane society!

I’ve never thought about it before, but our preschool did more fundraisers for the Humane Society than people, I wonder it they had less of a response to the canned good etc stuff as well.
Grade school has been the opposite.

I almost, but decided against, did a homeless handout party last year for T. I brought the idea up to at Cub Scouts, and we’re going to do it as a group with our pack. I know a guy (friend of a friend) who runs a bus every Sunday for groups, you rent the bus-But the rental fee goes directly to shelters, the group packs sandwiches, drinks/hot cocoa, and goodies, and he drives around stopping often to interact and give the food/drinks. .
It’s really neat, I’ve seen photos of the older kids doing it for their birthdays. Looking forward to it when we do the Cub Scouts event.

She's still a bit young to understand it, i think. Right now it comes out like "I'm bringing the doggies and kitties presents for our birthday!!"

I really want to throw a baby shower/diaper party to collect donations for mothers in need. I think it would be fun and diapers are so expensive. But i haven't been able to pull it together yet. Maybe this year!

21stamps

She's still a bit young to understand it, i think. Right now it comes out like "I'm bringing the doggies and kitties presents for our birthday!!"

I really want to throw a baby shower/diaper party to collect donations for mothers in need. I think it would be fun and diapers are so expensive. But i haven't been able to pull it together yet. Maybe this year!

That could be so fun! I hope you’re able to do it.

21stamps

I hope this post is ok here, but on the fund raising/donation subject.. we’re doing something really neat right now.. this is the first year that T has been old enough to really get into it.

For Lent, our school sends home a “rice bowl”.. the child has to put in a minimum of $1 per day for every day of Lent. They earn this money from us parents by doing chores, helping a neighbor, etc.

Besides the money though, it comes with a booklet of recipes/photos/descriptions, every week is a different country where we discuss the poverty/social issues in that country, and prepare meals from that country.

He’s really into it this year, the past years have just been “I need to put money in for the poor”.. but now he’s just as interested in the different cultures and their struggles.

It appears that this year’s overall theme has a lot to do with women’s struggles in some countries and also refugees. I thought it was a good year to discuss all of that, and I’m glad they chose those subjects for the theme.
(I should add- it’s not political at all, I hope it didn’t sound that way. The point is learning, empathy, help. It also breaks down exactly what $1 per day can do for people in some of these countries, and then we can make our own goal from there.)

Last edited:

BAChicagoGal

Ummm...she was involved in the reorganization, right? Please tell me you didn't just move things around in someone else's kitchen!! My MIL didn't like the way I set up my kitchen when we moved in here because I didn't have things like Coffee in the cupboard since we don't drink coffee, but instead, had things like Peanut butter that we use every day in it. My MIL doesn't use much peanut butter, but drinks coffee, so she switched out all the stuff in my cupboards and pantry and moved dishes where SHE thought they would be handier, even though we had purposely put the dishes in the cupboard above the dishwasher. I couldn't find anything and had to spend hours putting everything back the way it was.

I sometimes go upstairs in the attic where my grandson Sean, and his girlfriend Cheyenne live. We get to washing dishes, and straightening up, (Cheyenne and I). and I am tempted to reorganize the whole house. I don't know how they live in such a disorganized mess. I know the place is small, but nothing ever gets puts away, which makes things so much worse. Some people just are not domestic at all. I am no "Suzy Homemaker", but there has to be a happy medium somewhere.

MOXOMUMD

I hope this post is ok here, but on the fund raising/donation subject.. we’re doing something really neat right now.. this is the first year that T has been old enough to really get into it.

For Lent, our school sends home a “rice bowl”.. the child has to put in a minimum of $1 per day for every day of Lent. They earn this money from us parents by doing chores, helping a neighbor, etc.

Besides the money though, it comes with a booklet of recipes/photos/descriptions, every week is a different country where we discuss the poverty/social issues in that country, and prepare meals from that country.

He’s really into it this year, the past years have just been “I need to put money in for the poor”.. but now he’s just as interested in the different cultures and their struggles.

It appears that this year’s overall theme has a lot to do with women rights and also refugees. I thought it was a good year to discuss all of that, and I’m glad they chose those subjects for the theme.
We have a variety of topics except politics /too religious posts. Even though we're a forum family we have a variety of opinions on the topics and sometimes that has turned the thread sour.

That being said, I love the cooking idea.

21stamps

We have a variety of topics except politics /too religious posts. Even though we're a forum family we have a variety of opinions on the topics and sometimes that has turned the thread sour.

That being said, I love the cooking idea.

Sorry, I almost left the Lent part out of it because the post wasn’t about religion.
That wasn’t my intention at all. Point noted. :)

Goofyernmost

Your eldest is too young. My DS is a few years older than she is. My DD her age-ish had hers in the doctors office. That year they were vacinating every freak'n kid they could and the vaccinations were heading to the schools and health department, very few docs had the vaccine and it was very expensive in a Doc's office when just released. First target age for the vaccine was elementry 3, 4, 5 graders. Yours eldest likely in Kindergarten at that point.

Yes, sad he had polio, so much he couldn't do as a child and the accommodations of my early child really stunk for kids with physical disabilities. 1979 last polio Interesting. I was almost out of high school by then.

EDIT:
APTRANS.gif

updated 10/14/2005 2:11:28 PM ET

ST. PAUL, Minn. — Four children in an Amish community in Minnesota have contracted the polio virus — the first known infections in the U.S. in five years, state health officials said Thursday. None of the children were vaccinated.
The thing I remember the most from school were the yearly physicals that they gave us. We were poked and prodded by local Doctors right there in school. They put up some modesty shields but they were hardly sufficient for the turn your head and cough segment of the exam. I think they had that until I was in 5th grade before someone decided that this was not really good. Having said that, they did find a problem for me that was later corrected by our regular family doctor.

StarWarsGirl

Ummm...she was involved in the reorganization, right? Please tell me you didn't just move things around in someone else's kitchen!! My MIL didn't like the way I set up my kitchen when we moved in here because I didn't have things like Coffee in the cupboard since we don't drink coffee, but instead, had things like Peanut butter that we use every day in it. My MIL doesn't use much peanut butter, but drinks coffee, so she switched out all the stuff in my cupboards and pantry and moved dishes where SHE thought they would be handier, even though we had purposely put the dishes in the cupboard above the dishwasher. I couldn't find anything and had to spend hours putting everything back the way it was.
She was involved. I did leave certain things alone, like there was a cabinet with spices and all that was fine, and the she had her lunch boxes stored in a cabinet, so I moved her tupperware with the lunch boxes. But she had dishes just stored in the dishwasher. I'm like, "No, the dishwasher is for washing dishes, not for storing things". And then she had food under the sink, and I'm like, "No, not sanitary, not doing this." So she would tell me, "I want food to go here" and then it would go where she wanted, and then I would find a place for other things. She hugged me when I was done with it. It wasn't just "Oh, I don't like where this is stored"; no one could find anything, including her. I think she's so overwhelmed with the move that having someone else do some of the organizing for her helped.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I gave up Starbucks this year. (I go there nearly everyday). I can not give up caffeine altogether though, it would be inflicting too much pain on everyone who has to come in contact with me. ;)

How are you alive?? Reading trip reports, it would seem like your blood type is Starbucks!!

Also:
20180226_095553.jpg

I literally just picked up my second cup of the morning...

21stamps

How are you alive?? Reading trip reports, it would seem like your blood type is Starbucks!!

Also:
View attachment 266792

I literally just picked up my second cup of the morning...
Currently at my desk...
View attachment 266793

Thanks for torturing me. :(

I’ve always tried to give up something monetary related though, set the money aside, and then donate at the end.
The past 3 years have been contributing to the rice bowl.
It’s a rough 40 days!! This is my second time giving up Starbucks, last time was about 10 years ago. I keep telling myself that I survived back then.. ;)
Trust me, I already have the day marked in my phone as ‘Return to Starbucks Day’.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Thanks for torturing me. :(

I’ve always tried to give up something monetary related though, set the money aside, and then donate at the end.
The past 3 years have been contributing to the rice bowl.
It’s a rough 40 days!! This is my second time giving up Starbucks, last time was about 10 years ago. I keep telling myself that I survived back then.. ;)
Trust me, I already have the day marked in my phone as ‘Return to Starbucks Day’.

I think it's great ❤️ I'm atheist but I usually try to give something up for Lent because it's a nice convenient time period. Long enough to be meaningful, but short enough not to be torcherous. "Fasting" is important :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom