The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MySmallWorldof4

I hope this post is ok here, but on the fund raising/donation subject.. we’re doing something really neat right now.. this is the first year that T has been old enough to really get into it.

For Lent, our school sends home a “rice bowl”.. the child has to put in a minimum of $1 per day for every day of Lent. They earn this money from us parents by doing chores, helping a neighbor, etc.

Besides the money though, it comes with a booklet of recipes/photos/descriptions, every week is a different country where we discuss the poverty/social issues in that country, and prepare meals from that country.

He’s really into it this year, the past years have just been “I need to put money in for the poor”.. but now he’s just as interested in the different cultures and their struggles.

It appears that this year’s overall theme has a lot to do with women’s struggles in some countries and also refugees. I thought it was a good year to discuss all of that, and I’m glad they chose those subjects for the theme.
(I should add- it’s not political at all, I hope it didn’t sound that way. The point is learning, empathy, help. It also breaks down exactly what $1 per day can do for people in some of these countries, and then we can make our own goal from there.)
I think that is a nice idea. A few years ago, my 2 oldest kids' history/geography for the school year was studying other cultures and the children that lived in countries around the world. They saw how good they have it here. The book is Children Around The World if you are interested.

MySmallWorldof4

Meanwhile... on the opposite side of the spectrum.. my kid lost one of his front teeth last night.. he’s been waiting a long time for this, wants both front teeth out at the same time.

Asked me for an envelope and a pen, but I wasn’t allowed to read his note to the Tooth Fairy.

Here’s what I found under his pillow-

View attachment 266804

😂😂😂 Needless to say, the Tooth Fairy did not trade a PS4 for his tooth.
That is funny. My little one has lost her 2 bottom teeth and she has a few that are a little loose. The tooth fairy has given her $5 per tooth. That has been the going rate around here. She can pick out something cute at 5 Below with her Tooth Fairy money.

MySmallWorldof4

It has been snowing on and off all day and all the news is about the Beast from the East. That is what they are calling this snowstorm, people are being advices to stock up and stay inside from 6pm today. Rebel that I am I will be ignoring that advice and going to the cinema with my friend.:joyfull:
Beast of the East was the name of dd's cheer competition last month. :hilarious:

MySmallWorldof4

Sympathy like and good luck with the germies xoxo
She actually seems fine. Nothing that advil won't cure apparently. She has been playing like there is nothing wrong now. She said her throat her when she swallowed so I gave her some honey. I tried to make her a juice concoction with apples, carrot, and blueberry, but she said yuck. I drank it instead. :hungry: She has eaten a grilled cheese sandwich and I made her broccoli soup that she can put cheese in for dinner. She has a thing for cheese. If there is cheese in it, she will eat it. :pThat won't work for juice though.:hungover:

21stamps

now thats a direct request!
Right?! Maybe Santa should have brought him a PS4 instead of a Nintendo Switch for Christmas.lol.
I think that is a nice idea. A few years ago, my 2 oldest kids' history/geography for the school year was studying other cultures and the children that lived in countries around the world. They saw how good they have it here. The book is Children Around The World if you are interested.

Oh thanks! I’ll get the book!
I think I’ve mentioned that we’ve been subscribing to something called “Little Passports” from T’s 4th birthday til now.. it’s great, but it doesn’t dive too much into the poverty etc.

I was also thrilled with his homeroom teacher leading up to Christmas Break this year. Every day they “traveled” to another country. She decorated the classroom, brought food and props..and they learned how other groups celebrate holidays in December (not exclusive to Christian religions).
He’d come home and say “I went to France today” and “I went to Israel today” etc etc. She sent them home with work that had to be completed with the family. It was really neat. He loves learning about that kind of stuff, he gets so intrigued by the differences yet similarities of people.
The book you recommended would be a wonderful addition for us!

21stamps

That is funny. My little one has lost her 2 bottom teeth and she has a few that are a little loose. The tooth fairy has given her $5 per tooth. That has been the going rate around here. She can pick out something cute at 5 Below with her Tooth Fairy money.
I gave $10 for the first, with a note that said the $10 was because it was the first. He gets $5 for every other tooth.
Before he lost the first he told me “I can’t wait to start losing teeth so the tooth fairy can bring me $100 bills!”

I said “WHAT?!”

He swears that one of his friends gets $100.. I did a FB poll and $5 appeared to be the median, first and last a little more, so I went with that. I told him that his friend must have a different tooth fairy. Ha ha. I don’t even know if it is actually true.

MySmallWorldof4

Right?! Maybe Santa should have brought him a PS4 instead of a Nintendo Switch for Christmas.lol.

Oh thanks! I’ll get the book!
I think I’ve mentioned that we’ve been subscribing to something called “Little Passports” from T’s 4th birthday til now.. it’s great, but it doesn’t dive too much into the poverty etc.

I was also thrilled with his homeroom teacher leading up to Christmas Break this year. Every day they “traveled” to another country. She decorated the classroom, brought food and props..and they learned how other groups celebrate holidays in December (not exclusive to Christian religions).
He’d come home and say “I went to France today” and “I went to Israel today” etc etc. She sent them home with work that had to be completed with the family. It was really neat. He loves learning about that kind of stuff, he gets so intrigued by the differences yet similarities of people.
The book you recommended would be a wonderful addition for us!
I realized I gave you the wrong title. This is the book. https://www.amazon.com/Children-Jus...9670070&sr=1-2&keywords=children+just+like+me

Figgy1

Premium Member
I gave $10 for the first, with a note that said the $10 was because it was the first. He gets $5 for every other tooth.
Before he lost the first he told me “I can’t wait to start losing teeth so the tooth fairy can bring me $100 bills!”

I said “WHAT?!”

He swears that one of his friends gets $100.. I did a FB poll and $5 appeared to be the median, first and last a little more, so I went with that. I told him that his friend must have a different tooth fairy. Ha ha. I don’t even know if it is actually true.
OMG my parents were CHEAP! All I ever got was a quater:(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom