The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Cesar R M

Some of the streets are flooded out in downtown and the water is rising at the Point. It's the highest they've seen in just over ten years.

You have probably seen the Gateway Clipper riverboat that tours Three Rivers. They have a history pole at their dock that shows how high the river has flooded. The highest was almost to their second floor.
all the way to the second floor? that sounds REALLY high.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I don't remember our kiddos ever getting any of their shots in school, always at the docs office.
That's unfortunate about your friend. I've never known or met anyone that had polio.
A little research says the last case that originated in the US was in 1979.

Your eldest is too young. My DS is a few years older than she is. My DD her age-ish had hers in the doctors office. That year they were vacinating every freak'n kid they could and the vaccinations were heading to the schools and health department, very few docs had the vaccine and it was very expensive in a Doc's office when just released. First target age for the vaccine was elementry 3, 4, 5 graders. Yours eldest likely in Kindergarten at that point.

Yes, sad he had polio, so much he couldn't do as a child and the accommodations of my early child really stunk for kids with physical disabilities. 1979 last polio Interesting. I was almost out of high school by then.

EDIT:
APTRANS.gif

updated 10/14/2005 2:11:28 PM ET

ST. PAUL, Minn. — Four children in an Amish community in Minnesota have contracted the polio virus — the first known infections in the U.S. in five years, state health officials said Thursday. None of the children were vaccinated.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

These aren’t mine, although I did take a few at this park a couple of days ago.. Anyway, a friend took the below photos and posted on FB. The building in the top photos is a restroom/vending machine building. To the left is the playground.

These were taken yesterday afternoon and today, same exact spot.

This may give you an idea of how hard it rained last night!

View attachment 266700
thats so sad, who knows how many people lost their belongings and properties.

donaldtoo

Me my resort of choice when staying at Uni is the Portifino. I love the warm and fuzzy's of that resort especially at night. My comment, many posts ago originally was on this topic that Disney is now following Uni's lead unlike before. Uni puts in a high rise and Disney breaks ground on one shortly after. My support of the one at Uni is that high rise is a new resort. They didn't slap it in at lets say at the Portifino and ruin the ambiance of that resort. From what I am seeing 2nd hand i can't imagine how they can make that work. I hope to take a peek myself next visit. S&D I like because of the elegant tranquil hotels that they are. But yes very utilitarian. But as of now they are cheaper than Disney equivalents, they keep up with renovations, it is beyond clean and the rooms have modern tech and quality furnishings. They don't try and give you $25 to clean your own room. They want clean rooms. I like their guest satisfaction approach more than I like the overall design of either hotel.

But really Disney stopped long ago trying to transition anything. The Tangled Tower at the Tangled Bathrooms can be seen from Frontierland and Liberty Sq. You can see Storybook Circus all over Tomorrowland. And yeah you can see S&D from the showcase. I am 1st hand holding out some hope for the Studios. The entrance butts upto Muppets and yet the arch and tunnel seem to be making a transition. There seems to be a very similar type arch to Toy and moving the queue entrance to the other side leads me to believe Muppets and Starwars will not been seen from within Toy. The new bar where the bookstore once was seems to be a visual barrier for it all to transition nicely. So that is my twinkle of hope.

Yea, ultimately, none of any of it is devastating 😉 to us. We've never even been to Uni. so there's no lamenting over what once was, or what will be. We just don't know from either. WDW is obviously different in that regard, but, as I posted before, we're just not that enamored with it anymore. All the construction going on and the freakin' prices still going up, up and away. I'm sure we'll return at some point after all is mostly
sorted. Yep, less of us folks clogging up the Parks for the rest of the people, and we're OK with that for now, as we've found other awesome things to do and memories to make!!!!!!! :happy:

As far as theming congruity goes, I guess it has never really all been perfect. Although they did their best, even from the begining in both DL and WDW the site lines were never perfect because of the immaturity of the landscaping. Got much better as things grew, but, even in 1956 the Skyway went in at DL. Theming kinda' blown. Both extinct now, but...
But, yes, besides some of those things, I always thought they did a really good job otherwise, until about the last decade-ish or so.
We still love us some Disney, but...

image.jpeg

...enough is enough, Disney...!!!!!!! :bored:

donaldtoo

Your eldest is too young. My DS is a few years older than she is. My DD her age-ish had hers in the doctors office. That year they were vacinating every freak'n kid they could and the vaccinations were heading to the schools and health department, very few docs had the vaccine and it was very expensive in a Doc's office when just released. First target age for the vaccine was elementry 3, 4, 5 graders. Yours eldest likely in Kindergarten at that point.

Yes, sad he had polio, so much he couldn't do as a child and the accommodations of my early child really stunk for kids with physical disabilities. 1979 last polio Interesting. I was almost out of high school by then.

EDIT:
APTRANS.gif

updated 10/14/2005 2:11:28 PM ET

ST. PAUL, Minn. — Four children in an Amish community in Minnesota have contracted the polio virus — the first known infections in the U.S. in five years, state health officials said Thursday. None of the children were vaccinated.

Yea, I honestly don't remember hearing anything of polio after my last vaccination at about age 6-ish, I think...?

I graduated in '80, so similar.

Interesting to your edit. I got my '79 info from Wiki. And, sounds like at least one more in '00 as well...?
Well, at least it's not an epidemic anymore, but, so very sad.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Yea, ultimately, none of any of it is devastating 😉 to us. We've never even been to Uni. so there's no lamenting over what once was, or what will be. We just don't know from either. WDW is obviously different in that regard, but, as I posted before, we're just not that enamored with it anymore. All the construction going on and the freakin' prices still going up, up and away. I'm sure we'll return at some point after all is mostly
sorted. Yep, less of us folks clogging up the Parks for the rest of the people, and we're OK with that for now, as we've found other awesome things to do and memories to make!!!!!!! :happy:

As far as theming congruity goes, I guess it has never really all been perfect. Although they did their best, even from the begining in both DL and WDW the site lines were never perfect because of the immaturity of the landscaping. Got much better as things grew, but, even in 1956 the Skyway went in at DL. Theming kinda' blown. Both extinct now, but...
But, yes, besides some of those things, I always thought they did a really good job otherwise, until about the last decade-ish or so.
We still love us some Disney, but...

View attachment 266752

...enough is enough, Disney...!!!!!!! :bored:

I love Disney. Been going since I was a preschooler. I can be critical when warranted of Disney but the kids and I adore it and go as often as we can. I genuinely enjoy Uni and try to spend time there on trips there too. I respect your family for going for something different and putting some distance from Disney for awhile. For My kids and me it is all good memories, happy times and a tradition for 3 decades of awesome trips together, don't see it ending no matter how we want to knock Disney upside the head at times its us. Each trip for us is a new adventure and new memories so we keep on going back for more. What makes a family bond more than 3 hurricanes?

donaldtoo

I love Disney. Been going since I was a preschooler. I can be critical when warranted of Disney but the kids and I adore it and go as often as we can. I genuinely enjoy Uni and try to spend time there on trips there too. I respect your family for going for something different and putting some distance from Disney for awhile. For My kids and me it is all good memories, happy times and a tradition for 3 decades of awesome trips together, don't see it ending no matter how we want to knock Disney upside the head at times its us. Each trip for us is a new adventure and new memories so we keep on going back for more. What makes a family bond more than 3 hurricanes?

And, I respect that, as well, as we have had nothing but awesome Disney trips that very much bonded us also. As I do from your posts, you know DWifey and I are still very close with our kiddos. We have just found different experiences for now that we also love to do together. But, we all grew up with Disney in our lives and love it, so I know we will be back, just not in the immediate future.
Cheers that all of your and our continued family experiences, no matter what they are, keep us all lovingly bonded...!!!!!!! :happy:

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

One of my best friends had a house warming party today; she got her first apartment.

I realized I am more like my mother than I ever thought possible when, after everyone left, her kitchen's lack of organization bothered me so much that I spent a good hour reorganizing it.

She also now has a drawer devoted to aluminum foil and sandwich bags. Guess what other kitchen has a drawer devoted to aluminum foil and plastic bags...:hilarious:

21stamps

Your whole city looks like a water park right now...

True!

thats so sad, who knows how many people lost their belongings and properties.

For sure. I think there’s a lot of residences and businesses hurt by it. Not much consolation, but I’m fairly sure that there are certain zones in Cincinnati that require the home/business owners to carry flood insurance. Hopefully that will help.

I’m not in a flood zone, so I don’t carry it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom