The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

Woof!
Interesting. I was born and raised Catholic and remember absolutely nothing about that legion. A northeastern thing, maybe...?
The official name was National Legion of Decency. It was supposed to be the guideline that the Catholic church used. I am a lot older then you, so perhaps it was on it's way out by the time you got to the age that it mattered.

StarWarsGirl

Dh is a math fiend and calculated that on top of the points we would have to buy, adding in the yearly increases of maintenance and their other fees we would have to spend another $100k over the ownership. We would be better off getting a condo there that would be able to be inherited. Maybe it can work for a family of 4 or 5 that can get away with a studio unit, but a larger family requires the purchase of loads points, and the point values now are ridiculous.
See, it's different for everyone. My parents would never want to do a condo. They don't want to have to deal with the maintenance and work required to rent it out. They bought in 98, figuring they could do the Studios since we were a family of three. I was supposed tobbe an only child. Whoops. :hilarious: They do a one bedroom in Aulani and a two bedroom in Hilton Head since we use the kitchens.

Plus, they really want to be close to the parks. You get really spoiled very quick at the Epcot resorts. They loved both Boardwalk and BC before they bought there. And the benefits of getting the discounted APs help.

Different things work for everyone.

donaldtoo

Uni is different. While we might differ on what is impressive or not that Uni resort is an independent resort, very different from Disney Mixing themes or architectural designs at Coronado resort. If a guest chooses that resort at Uni they are choosing a modern urban resort similar to the offerings of the Swan and Dolphin and I personally love the Swan and Dolphin. In Uni's case it simply a modern contemporary choice of theming vs their Italian, Polynesian, Rock'n, Retro themes. As I said Sunday I'm waiting to see how they manage to shield the new upscale resort tower from the balance of the resort. BLT is at least contemporary like its original cousin just not uniquely designed but then again neither was the garden wing addition to the Contemporary, that addition was as basic as architecture can be.

The only real issue I have with the Swalphin is you can see it from Epcot. :cyclops: Although the architecture is distinct, it just doesn't appeal to me.
The Contemporary was very unique for it's time, and still is to me...sliding the modular rooms in like desk drawers, and all. :geek:
BLT and the other addition you mentioned can't hold a candle to it.
Disney just doesn't really care about resort theming (among other things) anymore. Take that giant hunk of junk multi-story DVC POS they threw up at GF.
And, still not impressed with the curved curtain wall proposal at Uni. And although I realize Uni is a whole different game, it still looks like it belongs in Vegas.
Different strokes, and all...

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
The only real issue I have with the Swalphin is you can see it from Epcot. :cyclops: Although the architecture is distinct, it just doesn't appeal to me.
The Contemporary was very unique for it's time, and still is to me...sliding the modular rooms in like desk drawers, and all. :geek:
BLT and the other addition you mentioned can't hold a candle to it.
Disney just doesn't really care about resort theming (among other things) anymore. Take that giant hunk of junk multi-story DVC POS they threw up at GF.
And, still not impressed with the curved curtain wall proposal at Uni. And although I realize Uni is a whole different game, it still looks like it belongs in Vegas.
Different strokes, and all...

Me my resort of choice when staying at Uni is the Portifino. I love the warm and fuzzy's of that resort especially at night. My comment, many posts ago originally was on this topic that Disney is now following Uni's lead unlike before. Uni puts in a high rise and Disney breaks ground on one shortly after. My support of the one at Uni is that high rise is a new resort. They didn't slap it in at lets say at the Portifino and ruin the ambiance of that resort. From what I am seeing 2nd hand i can't imagine how they can make that work. I hope to take a peek myself next visit. S&D I like because of the elegant tranquil hotels that they are. But yes very utilitarian. But as of now they are cheaper than Disney equivalents, they keep up with renovations, it is beyond clean and the rooms have modern tech and quality furnishings. They don't try and give you $25 to clean your own room. They want clean rooms. I like their guest satisfaction approach more than I like the overall design of either hotel.

But really Disney stopped long ago trying to transition anything. The Tangled Tower at the Tangled Bathrooms can be seen from Frontierland and Liberty Sq. You can see Storybook Circus all over Tomorrowland. And yeah you can see S&D from the showcase. I am 1st hand holding out some hope for the Studios. The entrance butts upto Muppets and yet the arch and tunnel seem to be making a transition. There seems to be a very similar type arch to Toy and moving the queue entrance to the other side leads me to believe Muppets and Starwars will not been seen from within Toy. The new bar where the bookstore once was seems to be a visual barrier for it all to transition nicely. So that is my twinkle of hope.

Cesar R M

We inherited a building a few years back and it basically did this with finances. Someone had taken things that normally have a 5 year life depending on how high traffic an area they were in and gave them a 45 year depreciation schedule. This made them look really profitable in the short term, because their expenses looked minimal. There are a lot of ways of making yourself look more profitable right now than you actually are.
Exactly, the problem is that they become addicted to this cycle of quick money that they wont ave enough availability to compensate by the "holes" in money when they arent selling DVCs!
Thus they push harder the other products higher. Pretty much turning away big chunks of the population as Disney reaches "luxury" levels.

StarWarsGirl

Me my resort of choice when staying at Uni is the Portifino. I love the warm and fuzzy's of that resort especially at night. My comment, many posts ago originally was on this topic that Disney is now following Uni's lead unlike before. Uni puts in a high rise and Disney breaks ground on one shortly after. My support of the one at Uni is that high rise is a new resort. They didn't slap it in at lets say at the Portifino and ruin the ambiance of that resort. From what I am seeing 2nd hand i can't imagine how they can make that work. I hope to take a peek myself next visit. S&D I like because of the elegant tranquil hotels that they are. But yes very utilitarian. But as of now they are cheaper than Disney equivalents, they keep up with renovations, it is beyond clean and the rooms have modern tech and quality furnishings. They don't try and give you $25 to clean your own room. They want clean rooms. I like their guest satisfaction approach more than I like the overall design of either hotel.

But really Disney stopped long ago trying to transition anything. The Tangled Tower at the Tangled Bathrooms can be seen from Frontierland and Liberty Sq. You can see Storybook Circus all over Tomorrowland. And yeah you can see S&D from the showcase. I am 1st hand holding out some hope for the Studios. The entrance butts upto Muppets and yet the arch and tunnel seem to be making a transition. There seems to be a very similar type arch to Toy and moving the queue entrance to the other side leads me to believe Muppets and Starwars will not been seen from within Toy. The new bar where the bookstore once was seems to be a visual barrier for it all to transition nicely. So that is my twinkle of hope.
It's not really anything new. You could always see Toontow from Tomorrowland. Teacups has always been smack next to Tomorrowland. No reall transition.

Go to DL, and there's really no transition between lands. Splash is plopped next to Haunted Mansion, with no transition whatsoever. Their Tomorrowland has the same issue: you're there, then whoops, Matterhorn. And that park is probably the best maintained Disney park there is. It still trumps just about every other Disney park.

Maybe we're just spoiled because DCA and AK have clearer transitions between lands. But they're also a lot newer. The way MK was designed, there's really no way to get around Tomorrowland and Fantasyland being able to see one another. But you can't see Avatar from just anywhere in AK. You transition into it. I wouldn't say Disney is being lazy; I think there's just no getting around it in some cases.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom