The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

Amen for your son and you guys too that the school will be on top of all this. The teacher said that the kid's aggression is focused towards his own class right now. Wow that sentence is disconcerting for the other students. That kid is sadly so messed up and it is a shame he is messing so much with other students where ever he attends.

Amen again that your son confided in you that that student has followed him to his new school. Any idea how long your son has been harboring that to himself? Poor kid. He must take comfort that the teachers and staff are on top of it unlike his old school. But still, the odds of that. I really want to know what booted that bully from his old school. In our school district we have a co-op with other districts 'cause we are are all very tiny districts. Anything from hearing and visually impaired to autistic to cognitive...we also have a division for behaviorally impaired. Our little hamlet houses the behaviorally impaired. They are on a separate floor but still interact in some areas including at times busing. If there was anything I could trade away in our district is giving away to another district in our
co-op it would be this special needs group. Having had a special needs daughter I get the special services and appreciate that.

Behavioral special needs has such a difficult impact on the general student body and is by law excused by law as special needs disability. At best the district can remove the student for 6 months and repeat. I have no answers but have an abundance of empathy for all. I know first hand from a boy a few properties down from me how he got that way at his Mom's hand. He was the sweetest preschooler. A lovely boy. His Mom overwhelmed put an end to all that sweetness. And now rather than socially working through his issues he is stuck in a situation with fellow students with pretty nasty behavioral issues far worse that his. We all know how that will work out in the end. So freak'n frustrating.
Well, I have to admit that I'm a bit fuzzy on the details and I didn't dare ask because of privacy issues. The old school would not tell us who they were considering expelling and we only really figured out the one we DO know by ourselves. When everything happened in October, the school was basically shocked into action. They knew there was an issue, but had NO clue how bad it really was, despite my almost living at the school by that point. (I swear, I was there nearly every day reporting something, having a meeting about it, etc...) So they finally HAD to admit it was out of control and they kind of skapegoated the other school we merged with and said it was because of them, but this problem had been ongoing since long before the merge. But they blamed the kids from the other school, saying that those kids were worse, etc...they told us one kid had been expelled and they were " looking at a couple more". And then we got an email sent to all the parents of kids in DS's class saying this kid would not be coming back, he was was already " staying home" and they were looking for a more suitable placement for him, and as that was one of the big name bullies, we put 2 and 2 together. But because of the kids' privacy, they couldn't tell us who they were expelling or how they were handling each student. But, Christian was not from the other school...he has been in DS's class since 2nd grade and first DS told me they were friends, but then every day, there was something the kid did that wasn't nice and it wasn't long before DS was saying he didn't want to play with this kid anymore. When they were still " friends" the kids were all playing at the playground on our street when DS asked if they could come jump on the trampoline. I said yes, they could, but they had to stay outside and they had to ask their parents if it was ok. They (Christian and his brother, Sammy) told me their mom already knew where they were. Well...how could she when they hadn't been by to ask? So I knew he was lying and told them to go ask. I fully expected a knock on the door to check me out to make sure her kid would be safe, but that never happened. Red flag #1...I wouldn't have allowed my kids to go to someone's home if I didn't know the parents or where they lived, etc. So the kids are playing, but they are being unsafe and I tell them they need to not do what they are doing, give them the rules, and if they can't abide by the rules, they need to go home. Every time I look out, they are doing what they aren't supposed to be doing, and then DS starts crying...Christian told him he's going to come steal his bike and called him some names. I sent the kids packing. When they came and asked the next day if they could come jump on the trampoline, I said no. They refused to follow rules and they were little jerks....not welcome at my house. But obviously this kid has a problem with authority, and aggression, and lying...and DS's new school DOES have kids with Oppositional Defiant disorder, so perhaps that's what this is. But, DS said he thought Christian was in a "special class" for kids who had problems at their old school. I said "Sweetie, EVERY kid at your school is there because they had problems at their old school. That's why they are at this school!" but perhaps they do divide the classes somewhat according to their category of issues. Maybe the class Christian is in is specifically for those kids with similar issues. Again, I didn't dare ask, because they wouldn't have been able to tell me. But just that DS's teacher said their class rarely has contact with Christian's class makes me feel better. If he's been there since December and this is the first I've heard of it, they must not be thrown together much. And he has to have SOME kind of issue or he wouldn't be at this school...my guess is oppositional defiant disorder, and if those kids are separated from the kids who have Autism, then at least DS is safe for the most part. But apparently Christian's behavior in his new class is so common they have a name for it. Literal translation is Rooster...he is loud and aggressive and trying to make himself seem bad and tough so other kids won't mess with him or try to push him around. As the new kid, he's low in the pecking order, so he has to display cocky behavior to show they can't push him around. Once they settle in a bit, that lessens over time. But the school is used to dealing with it because it happens so often with new kids.

Songbird76

We had snow over night so most schools around us are on a two hour delay. Not us though, we were supposed to have a half day with the kids and then the rest of the day was teacher inservice. So it doesn't make sense to bring in the kids for two hours, so the kiddos have the day off and I have to report by 10. Not too shabby for me. I can get caught up on grading today without them around!

But now hubs thinks that we should go out and shovel. Hmmm, I shoveled a lot and all by myself when his ankle was broken. I think it is his turn. 😉
I agree!! You could bring him some hot cocoa when he's done if he's a good boy. But he gets to do some "physical therapy" first.

Songbird76

It is not that unusual to walk places but there is also good public transportation for those who prefer it. The Lidl location is easier to walk to than drive, even if I had a car. Parking in London is difficult and expensive so lots of people don't own a car.
@Gabe1 ,I would say it's not just London. There are a lot of people in Europe who don't own a car. Fieldtrips at school really threw me when I came here because they don't get a bus to take them to the field trip. Parents have to take them. If one of my kids had a trip to the library, or the theater, we were responsible for getting them there and picking them up. Parents have to either work out a solution with a parent who DOES have a car, or they have to ask a friend or family member with a car, or they have to go by bike (that's the most common) or with public transportation.
I'm lucky we live so close to the grocery store...it's only a few minute walk for me, and I have a grocery bag on wheels so I don't have to carry heavy bags. I used to have to carry them, and any time I had something heavy, like a milk jug, or a sack of potatoes, my fingers would be numb by the time I got home...so I got a roller bag. But yes, it's quite normal for people here to walk to the grocery store, or go by bike...I sometimes see someone with a special cart that attaches to the bike....also normal for people to go by bike to work or school. Much more common than by car.

Cesar R M

Disney is great at selling their DVC. The have a different product than most timeshares that is the tool that makes many buy into it which is perfect for those in the salary bracket than can genuinely afford it. We considered it. It would not have been good for us those years later by timing as the economy tanked, I had two kids in college and if I had to deal with DVC additionally it would have been uglier. Disney was in a slump so offloading or renting points out would have been difficult.

I look at the warning signs right now in the economy since the first of the year, have not seen that type of mood swings in the market in many years now. IMO DVC are meant for those who have the financial back-up to weather the storm when we hit those times when the economy tanks.

I have a niece that has a DVC, she is 33, 2 kids and a hubby. She bought it prior to kids or marriage. She took has always loved Disney. She had a good job, some money in the bank
and bought the DVC at both Bay Lake and AK She can't afford a house or a reliable car but has a DVC. :facepalm: But Disney has a way of talking some into the fold that really should not have.
eeeh, I wasnt explictly talking about what DVC is geared up. I mean the financial dependency of Disney Orlando into selling DVC to make their numbers higher than they really are and pretty much making artificial reductions on their hotel capacity. This in return is used to claim the hotel is filled more than they really are and use it as excuse to raise the rack prices even higher.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
eeeh, I wasnt explictly talking about what DVC is geared up. I mean the financial dependency of Disney Orlando into selling DVC to make their numbers higher than they really are and pretty much making artificial reductions on their hotel capacity. This in return is used to claim the hotel is filled more than they really are and use it as excuse to raise the rack prices even higher.

We inherited a building a few years back and it basically did this with finances. Someone had taken things that normally have a 5 year life depending on how high traffic an area they were in and gave them a 45 year depreciation schedule. This made them look really profitable in the short term, because their expenses looked minimal. There are a lot of ways of making yourself look more profitable right now than you actually are.

StarWarsGirl

We also need to ask the same of the @StarWarsGirl family
We're getting there. My mom is starting to get her voice back. My dad is basically well again. My brother is coughing, but he didn't get as sick as the rest of us did. I'm exhausted and still coughing, but getting there. The prescription cough medicine my doctor gave me is really helping. And only cost $8.50, so even better.

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

We inherited a building a few years back and it basically did this with finances. Someone had taken things that normally have a 5 year life depending on how high traffic an area they were in and gave them a 45 year depreciation schedule. This made them look really profitable in the short term, because their expenses looked minimal. There are a lot of ways of making yourself look more profitable right now than you actually are.
I used to tutor in accounting. My students always had trouble wrapping their brains around how you could calculate depreciation 3 different ways and get three different answers. It's a hard concept.

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
Dh is a math fiend and calculated that on top of the points we would have to buy, adding in the yearly increases of maintenance and their other fees we would have to spend another $100k over the ownership. We would be better off getting a condo there that would be able to be inherited. Maybe it can work for a family of 4 or 5 that can get away with a studio unit, but a larger family requires the purchase of loads points, and the point values now are ridiculous.
We got as far as taking the tour. We looked, we saw, we did the math, NOPE! We would need at least a 1 br and even that would be a bit tight after a few nights

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom