The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
We had snow over night so most schools around us are on a two hour delay. Not us though, we were supposed to have a half day with the kids and then the rest of the day was teacher inservice. So it doesn't make sense to bring in the kids for two hours, so the kiddos have the day off and I have to report by 10. Not too shabby for me. I can get caught up on grading today without them around!

But now hubs thinks that we should go out and shovel. Hmmm, I shoveled a lot and all by myself when his ankle was broken. I think it is his turn. 😉

MySmallWorldof4

Except when they reach a level where they cant convert DVC units enough to keep pumping the value and money on the infrastructures.
DVC is "lot of money cash upfront and nothing but smaller fees later", hotels are "medium levels of money continuously"
Dh is a math fiend and calculated that on top of the points we would have to buy, adding in the yearly increases of maintenance and their other fees we would have to spend another $100k over the ownership. We would be better off getting a condo there that would be able to be inherited. Maybe it can work for a family of 4 or 5 that can get away with a studio unit, but a larger family requires the purchase of loads points, and the point values now are ridiculous.

Songbird76

I got to this point and I think I forgot to *breathe* as I continued reading. Soooo want to know why the previous school ousted that kid. :jawdrop:
Oh it could be any number of reasons, really. Bullying is only one of his many charming attributes. I had heard already before LAST school year that he was going to go to a different school. I don't remember who told me, but another mother had said she heard he wasn't coming back, that he was going to a different school, she thought a Christian school (which would have been odd as they are Muslim) and that she had heard he had smeared his own feces all over the walls in the boys bathroom. He has quite the reputation.

Songbird76

My Dad in his 80's hit a bicyclist at an intersection. Here the rules of the road are cyclists must obey the rules of the road. The cyclist landed on the hood of my Dads car in a 25mph zone. Fortunately for my Dad a 'walker' saw the whole thing happen as the cyclist blew through the stop sign with his children on bikes also and the 'walker' also
told police that my Dad had stopped at the 4 way stop and the cyclists blew the stop sign while riding in the street and that there was no chance for my Dad to avoid as the cyclists were coming down a large hill with speed far faster than 25mph and blew the stop. The bike and man and the car were 'hurt.' At the end of the saga the man had to pay for the damages to my Dads car...which wasn't the way it all started to come down between insurance companies. But that was it for my elderly Dad. The man and his bike rattled him so much he never did drive again.
My understanding here is that if a car hits someone on a bike, the driver of the car is held responsible. There may be exceptions to that, but man, if you see the way people here behave on a bike, you'd think they were invincible. I don't know if the driver of the car I saw hit the woman in November was charged with anything, but I don't think he should have been. She swerved right in front of him and there's no way he could have stopped. But I think the law automatically faults the driver of the car.

12in12

Curious. You say a 20 minute walk. Is that a normal thing to take a 20 minute walk for groceries? I walk about 5 miles a day (shy that the last few nasty weather months here)
Most of my fellow residents would have a melt down if they had to walk 20 minutes anywhere. *sigh* I generally wonder how many people walk anywhere in the states these days daily. Most pop in their cars, park at work and drive on home.
It is not that unusual to walk places but there is also good public transportation for those who prefer it. The Lidl location is easier to walk to than drive, even if I had a car. Parking in London is difficult and expensive so lots of people don't own a car.

12in12

Dh is a math fiend and calculated that on top of the points we would have to buy, adding in the yearly increases of maintenance and their other fees we would have to spend another $100k over the ownership. We would be better off getting a condo there that would be able to be inherited. Maybe it can work for a family of 4 or 5 that can get away with a studio unit, but a larger family requires the purchase of loads points, and the point values now are ridiculous.
I did that math as well and decided against DVC as well. Not sure if I want to buy a condo but I can see myself renting one for 3 months out of the year.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom