The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

Stay away from those eggs. Geesh!
Well, I hate to say it, but if officials in Belgium knew it already in November, I'm sure we've ingested some of them already. But supposedly, it's one of those things where it's only dangerous if you eat a large quantity over time. I checked all the eggs in my fridge, and none of them were on the list, but if this has been going on for months, it's a good bet that we ate some at some point that were contaminated.

Songbird76

Yikes! That is a lot of countries! Reminds me of a few years ago of people here dropping dead with cantaloupe. That one was really a nasty contamination until they found the farm that was the actual producer.
_97299821_egg_scandal_624.png
There was a big cucumber contamination last year or the year before...I want to say e coli.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
There was a big cucumber contamination last year or the year before...I want to say e coli.

Yah, food contamination is scary. I remember one year that alfalfa sprouts were recalled. (I think even now the advice is to cook them, and they are a definite no-no for pregnant women, young children, elderly and anyone with a compromised immune system.)

Another year was the big cataloupe recall. I was surprised about that one as well, as who would have thought anything dangerous could happen to cantaloupe? o_O

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Really there isn't chemicals aside from soap in-on American Eggs. We wash our eggs before they are put into cartons and sold.
The washing is due to safeguarding against salmonella. But once the eggs are washed the shell breaks down very quickly if not refrigerated.
In other parts of the world the chicken's lay those eggs and they are not washed so they can stay room temperature. Lots of egg producers elsewhere a few here go more free range over coops which drive up the cost over coop produced eggs.

DDT was banned when I was a little kid in the US and quickly followed by most developed countries. North Korea and India still allow DDT for most of their populations food. Me, a chemical I won't go near or allow my family near is aspartame. I'm waiting for that ban to come...so many corporate food producers have pulled it out of their foods. Honestly I felt better about cyclamates safety than aspartame and it tasted better too.

I used to drink Diet Coke a lot, almost as much as water but about 5-6 years ago I read an article about the impacts aspartame could possibly have. And I basically gave up Diet Coke, I will have it a couple times at Disney parks. Regular soda wasn't an option because of so much sugar. I don't even remember all that was in the article but it scared me enough to stop consuming it. Unfortunately that was when hubby decided to switch from regular Coke to Coke Zero, I've been nagging him for years now to cut back on soda (because he drinks it constantly) and go back to regular Coke. He is finally switching back, we have been buying the mini-cans and he is doing okay and drinking water more.

I'm not a super health nut but it seems to me that something natural is probably better than man-made chemicals. So a few times a year I will have a Diet Coke, but otherwise no artificial sweeteners. Oh I do use sugar free pudding once a year in a recipe I make at Christmas, for some reason the sugar free pudding works better at making a fluffy filling instead of regular. But other than those.....

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Well, the vacation budget fizzled out for this year with my 4 days at WDW back in May, and also hub's trip to Colorado to visit his elderly father, and the rest of his family (while I stayed home and babysat Jack -- no one will take Jack for us, even for a few days, or even 1 day . . . :hilarious: ). We had considered flying him out to Colorado, so that we both could go, but he's too much of a spazz, and we figured it would traumatize him too much. Years ago, we did fly out there with our previous dog, and she had a very tame personality. But even she flipped out from the experience.

So, I'll be doing mostly a staycation this week. Just to get away from work and the rat race is fine with me.

Sounds like a nice week. Perhaps you and hubs can have a nice nice lunch or dinner together, besides your normal Friday, this week. Maybe a picnic in a place that allows dogs and Jack could have fun too.:)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I went to church this morning and a lady was sitting in my spot, the spot right next to the door in the very last pew. :eek: So I sat down on the other end of that pew and I say good morning to the lady. The lady said good morning and then "oh no I'm in your spot aren't I!?" and starts to gather her things to move. I told her that I was fine and she didn't have to move and it would be good for me to have a new spot as I smiled at her. But inside my head I was like how dare you sit in my spot, and don't do it again or I will sit on you! :arghh: I also didn't want to be the crazy lady who can only sit in one spot.

By the way I survived church just fine in the new spot, probably because it was still in the same pew. :)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I used to drink Diet Coke a lot, almost as much as water but about 5-6 years ago I read an article about the impacts aspartame could possibly have. And I basically gave up Diet Coke, I will have it a couple times at Disney parks. Regular soda wasn't an option because of so much sugar. I don't even remember all that was in the article but it scared me enough to stop consuming it. Unfortunately that was when hubby decided to switch from regular Coke to Coke Zero, I've been nagging him for years now to cut back on soda (because he drinks it constantly) and go back to regular Coke. He is finally switching back, we have been buying the mini-cans and he is doing okay and drinking water more.

I'm not a super health nut but it seems to me that something natural is probably better than man-made chemicals. So a few times a year I will have a Diet Coke, but otherwise no artificial sweeteners. Oh I do use sugar free pudding once a year in a recipe I make at Christmas, for some reason the sugar free pudding works better at making a fluffy filling instead of regular. But other than those.....

I try to buy when I can find it the sugar cane soda vs the corn syrup sodas. I don't drink a lot of soda but my body seems to burn those sugar cane calories either. Just the volume of calories in a can of coke is enough to steer me clear of drinking much.

More evidence seems to be pointing that aspartame messes with your metabolism and kinda tricks your body into thinking it needs to store fat. Guess it is possible that since it is synthetic bodies could react differently to it. Me and my entire family get migraine headaches from aspartame.

betty rose

I try to buy when I can find it the sugar cane soda vs the corn syrup sodas. I don't drink a lot of soda but my body seems to burn those sugar cane calories either. Just the volume of calories in a can of coke is enough to steer me clear of drinking much.

More evidence seems to be pointing that aspartame messes with your metabolism and kinda tricks your body into thinking it needs to store fat. Guess it is possible that since it is synthetic bodies could react differently to it. Me and my entire family get migraine headaches from aspartame.
I do too, it must be a common reaction to aspartame. I read, when it came out..it caused brain tumors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom