The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

betty rose

Motion and SSE were our favorites when we were kids. And I don't remember where it was...I thought it was when you came out of Imagination, but I could be wrong...there was somewhere that had computer screens where you could color. And there was a giant kitchen table-sized thing with all the pins that you can make an imprint of something like your hand in it by pushing up those pins. And then somewhere else, they had robots that would draw your portrait. Epcot was our favorite because there was so much to do. Now there's really not as much, but I still love the World Showcase.
We loved motion, too. So much to do. Now, it's mostly festival's and food booth's. Not anything to do there. I still love the World Showcase, and love visiting the different countries. I can't fly to Europe, but I do love those countries.

Songbird76

They have lost a chunk of revenue to Uni Florida. So many more spit stays, Disney once had a lock on the overall park attendance. I see nothing to suggest that Disney will ever regain the percentage of vacation days lost to Uni returning. Disney went with FLE and Princesses and at the same time Uni went with Potter, a strong young boy lead and supporting non princess female roles also strong young female characters. They understood what Disney lacked for boys and what Disney lacked for young girls. All intelligent young characters put forward. I give Uni loads of credit for picking an IP that was for not only boys and girls but their parents and singles alike. Like the novels or not they brought a great deal to the table with those attractions and put Uni Florida on the map for appealing to a different type of theme park fans.

I'll be interested to see how new Star land is developed at the Studios and hope it doesn't get slashed by budget cuts.
I think what Disney is really lacking is something that has that universal appeal across several age groups and both genders. Star Wars as a franchise has a HUGE following, but it IS still MORE geared towards boys. I know girls who are into it, but not many and none of them are girly girls, whereas MOST of my Harry Potter fan friends are girls, and most of us are also quite girly. Harry Potter appeals to a large cross section of people...Star wars does too, but not AS broad. I am hoping they can do what Universal did with Harry Potter and make Star Wars land appealing, even to non-fans. If they rely too heavily on the characters rather than on the theming, they'll have trouble drawing in the non-fans. Then you have a problem with a family like ours where DS LOVES it and DD hates it. We have to make a choice...do we split up so that DS can get his SW fix and DD can still do something SHE likes, or do we do SW and force her to endure something she will hate, or do we skip it all together and disappoint DS? Last Summer, we split up and the only thing DD had to endure was watching the Jedi Training thing DS did.

betty rose

I think Star Wars land will be to Disney what WWoHP has been to Uni. We went to Universal on our honeymoon, but didn't spend much time there and weren't overly impressed. We didn't feel the need to go back. But then they added WWoHP and suddenly we HAD to go, and I think I read that their attendance nearly doubled when they added that. It's still a major draw and they have special packages just for that. Even non-fans are impressed. I think there are certain franchises that have such a huge loyal fandom, and StarWars is one of them, that they will show up in droves even if they've never had the desire to visit Disney before. I kind of hope they stick to HS, though, just so the other parks aren't so crowded.
This Star Wars is
not my cup of tea. But, I'm hoping Disney outdoes their selves. So many people, including my grandson's would love it. Great for the next generation.

Songbird76

My kids loved the bugs attraction to though every show there are one or two kids that seem to loose it. A very small percentage.

I remember a thread from a Mom last year that wanted Disney to change and overhaul the Haunted Mansion cause it scared her kid and wasn't family friendly and not what Walt wanted WDW to be. lol It is so rare that I see a kid be scared on the HM. It isn't Horror Nights at Uni.
Well, my DS wouldn't even go into HM. I checked BEFORE we got into the line that there was a parent swap. They told me there was, and to ask the next CM in the line...so we did...and they passed us on to the next CM...and that CM passed us on to the next...until we were at the doors and DS started crying hysterically saying he didn't want to go in and the CM said the parent swap was past the pre-ride thing with the entry hall, which is the scariest part. So DS freaked out before even getting to the door and we had to file back through the line because I couldn't even get him to the Parent swap area. I didn't get to go on it that night because we had waited 30 minutes in the line only to have to leave and not get to swap and I would have had to wait another 30 minutes to do it after DD and DH came out. So I went to guest relations and explained and they gave me a free fastpass for it the next day so I could go without waiting in line. DD went on it more than once...she didn't think it was scary at all.

MOXOMUMD

Well, my DS wouldn't even go into HM. I checked BEFORE we got into the line that there was a parent swap. They told me there was, and to ask the next CM in the line...so we did...and they passed us on to the next CM...and that CM passed us on to the next...until we were at the doors and DS started crying hysterically saying he didn't want to go in and the CM said the parent swap was past the pre-ride thing with the entry hall, which is the scariest part. So DS freaked out before even getting to the door and we had to file back through the line because I couldn't even get him to the Parent swap area. I didn't get to go on it that night because we had waited 30 minutes in the line only to have to leave and not get to swap and I would have had to wait another 30 minutes to do it after DD and DH came out. So I went to guest relations and explained and they gave me a free fastpass for it the next day so I could go without waiting in line. DD went on it more than once...she didn't think it was scary at all.
Next time ask to skip the stretching room. They'll take you through a doorway (where they take wheelchair/scooters through) and you'll board a Doom Buggy at the exit area.

MOXOMUMD

I think what Disney is really lacking is something that has that universal appeal across several age groups and both genders. Star Wars as a franchise has a HUGE following, but it IS still MORE geared towards boys. I know girls who are into it, but not many and none of them are girly girls, whereas MOST of my Harry Potter fan friends are girls, and most of us are also quite girly. Harry Potter appeals to a large cross section of people...Star wars does too, but not AS broad. I am hoping they can do what Universal did with Harry Potter and make Star Wars land appealing, even to non-fans. If they rely too heavily on the characters rather than on the theming, they'll have trouble drawing in the non-fans. Then you have a problem with a family like ours where DS LOVES it and DD hates it. We have to make a choice...do we split up so that DS can get his SW fix and DD can still do something SHE likes, or do we do SW and force her to endure something she will hate, or do we skip it all together and disappoint DS? Last Summer, we split up and the only thing DD had to endure was watching the Jedi Training thing DS did.
I know a multitude of Star Wars enthusiasts of all ages and genders. Those of us who loved it as a kid passed it on to our kids and The Clone Wars/Rebels opened the door for more kids to enjoy. With strong female characters like Padme/Leia/Rey/Ahsoka/Asajj it's not geared only towards boys. I'm not getting the girly girl thing. I know girly girls (and girly guys) who are way into SW. That shouldn't be a factor.

If the SW land is done right, people who have zero interest will be curious about the area. I hate Avatar but I'm looking forward to wandering around Pandora.

I think in your situation you're always going to split until you as a parent make the decision of a compromise for them.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

I will be out of Disney in the next two years. My legs and hips can't take all the walking. I can't see or hear well enough to drive a scooter. And I don't want anyone pushing me around in a wheel chair. Just my opinion. I will live for the trip reports and news on here. Hubby has different thoughts. He thinks I can go longer. I dealt with a lot of pain on the last trip. Time will tell!
Ill be your designated pusher, as long you pay me the trip :hilarious:

Cesar R M

I think that is the point of why they pushed hard on ROGUE ONE (even if the weak beta hardcore nerd fans hated it) to have a woman main character with a very good support team.

Funny thing.. the same hate the movie got from "meninist" groups, is identical to what new Star Trek series (Star Trek Discovery, captained by Michelle Yeoh and main character being a Vulcan by Sonequa Martin-Green) is getting.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Wait, what happened? tornados or just very strong severe storms?
We kept driving until we hit an area with power. Still rain hard. Trees uprooted. Trunks of trees without branches. Live wires everywhere. Most roads blocked. Packed suitcase and drove

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom