The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Eventually we will get our 90's as well and that will be fine I won't complain. In fact in past years I couldn't wait for the 90's. I will remind myself of sub-zeroes and then 90's will feel glorious! But for some reason this spring I have really been appreciating the mid 50's-low 70's we have gotten. It just seems perfect, I can go outside and not be freezing and do activity without getting super sweaty. But I guess the 50-70's is your typical winter, so you know how great it is.

And on a different note. I told my DD I'd ask you (and forgot) do you know anything or @Wrangler-Rick about Menomonie WI or the University of WI-Stout??? School, town, weather? Cost of living. Any thoughts?

Gabe1

So today DD and I saw at a High School in Kane County some pretty unique peeps embracing Dapper Day. Guess it is on a roll now. I saw one dad with his older teen daughter. She was dressed very eclectic to start with (in a teen good way) an awesome Kentucky Derby type fine hat, just not quite so 'big.' But what struck us as odd and we didn't grasp was she was carrying a very very loved 2 foot stuffed Bunny rabbit with her.

Any thoughts? We talked with them a short while. Pretty normal teen talking to strangers. Dad, a good Dad very comfy with each other. I saw them leave but we spotted them again about an hour later again but with this time the Mom, Aunt and Grandma also accompanying the father and daughter. Daughter dressed the same, lost the hat but still had the rabbit. Curious. Does any of the rabbit thing or style of dress have to do with Dapper Day?

Gabe1

My mom passed away 5 years ago and my dad is now living in Florida (our relationship is so-so). My sister and her family live about 40 minute away from me, so my niece visits frequently, it is like we are her Young grandparents. My husband's parents have both passed and his sister and their families live in Michigan and in the Chicago area. Thankfully not too close!

Ahhhh...now that you mention it I can vaguely remember you meeting up with your Dad when you were in Florida. I can appreciate that so so with the Dad without knowing a dang thing, that was always me and my Dad. I was his Princess but when I did what I was told and did what he said...even in his dying days. The man had no boundaries and wanted to be the control freak and always WIN at all costs. It came to blows when he thought he had any say with my children that he adored.

I get the inlaw thing. My extended family from day one was beyond insane. Though my FIL was an awesome awesome man. I miss him. We did have a special bond and I know he loved me vs the MIL that we still have mutual hatred. (being an excellent seamstress, as example she showed up to my wedding, as a special surprise-she had contacted the dress shop where the bridesmaids had ordered their dresses...got the color swatch and style of dress and made herself an exact copy of the dresses my bridesmaids wore. While I am not a fan of the tradition that Mothers of the Groom wearing beige as that is a horrid color for many, but can you imagine the photo's and the day as a 60 year old woman dressed up as a bridesmaid being a welcomed surprise?) Yep. Not a fan. I get along OK with one brother and his wife, the other set not at all. Worse nightmare is those two brothers married two Sisters. My FIL was the only sane one of the bunch.

Figgy1

Premium Member
My mint never comes back, I wonder if that is because it is planted in a pot instead of the ground?
I was thinking about my spring planting, which is really just flowers and in pots, today and I was thinking about planting citronella (although it isn't a flower really). Actually I was thinking about mostly getting some citronella, geraniums, and marigolds because they are very hardy (as I forget to water) and they keep away bugs. I will get some herbs too like basil, parsley, mint (mojitos!) and maybe some oregano. Our FFA kids sell some flowers and vegetables so I might get a few tomato plants from them this year too. I'm getting the spring itch to plant my pots and do a big spring cleaning of the house.
Put the mint in the ground and you'll have mojitos for years to come:hungry:

Figgy1

Premium Member
And who remembers Morris? He only ate 9Lives Cat Food
5c58e4c03ebf2eea104ac484b0be63d7.jpg

Or remembers pastel telephones, long before cordless?
b2be661938c786acf12e82a1b9f79138.jpg

Or remember talking to Mickey?
83cf1c0f380331f74c1bc602ce789281.jpg

Who remembers play Heads Up 7 Up in school?
1a21219ee1e4fe4965863859e4ce06e0.jpg

Or remember the days before swim diapers?
e68daa3e1502a879e650fa2bd8a2bb56.jpg

Do you remember writing in cursive? Or being taught cursive?
3c954c915ada0f86784c47db6b1b9f0e.jpg
Everything except the heads up. My older ds and I were out shopping when he was very little and we got to meet Morris and see his giant display of cat food. It wasn't planned which made it even better:joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:

Figgy1

Premium Member
Me too, I just need to understand how to grow Citronella better.

Me, my Garlic went out of control. But then again in my world you'd think there should never be too much garlic.
I grow citronella in pots and take a few of the smaller ones inside in the fall. Then in spring I make a few more to put out around my property. They seem happiest in pots in my neck of the woods.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
We had a few thunderstorms last night, but, nothing severe.
Unfortunately, up east of Dallas, a tornado tore through Canton, Texas and some other towns, leaving at least four dead and dozens injured. Prayers to all affected.

Thanks for your concern for us.

Saw some scary video on the national news, about the wide area of destruction from that tornado. I looked on a map of Texas to see where that was. Glad it wasn't near Austin. What a horrible situation for those people up in Canton.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I'm really starting to dislike both sides of both our families! Every weekend it's get up get dressed up go some place we don't want to go to:mad::mad::mad::mad: It's getting to the point I want to book elective colonoscopies each weekend:facepalm::brb::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: Rant over.

Just wondering, what if you set some limits -- hypothetically, no more than 2 weekends a month for (extended family) get-togethers.

I have the luxury of my rellies all being long distances away, and I prefer that. It's rare that I ever see any of them.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Just wondering, what if you set some limits -- hypothetically, no more than 2 weekends a month for (extended family) get-togethers.

I have the luxury of my rellies all being long distances away, and I prefer that. It's rare that I ever see any of them.
I wish but it's weddings, milestone birthdays and such and both sides of both families:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: We're already going to miss a few things doing just one or 2 a weekend:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

MySmallWorldof4

And who remembers Morris? He only ate 9Lives Cat Food
5c58e4c03ebf2eea104ac484b0be63d7.jpg

Or remembers pastel telephones, long before cordless?
b2be661938c786acf12e82a1b9f79138.jpg

Or remember talking to Mickey?
83cf1c0f380331f74c1bc602ce789281.jpg

Who remembers play Heads Up 7 Up in school?
1a21219ee1e4fe4965863859e4ce06e0.jpg

Or remember the days before swim diapers?
e68daa3e1502a879e650fa2bd8a2bb56.jpg

Do you remember writing in cursive? Or being taught cursive?
3c954c915ada0f86784c47db6b1b9f0e.jpg
I loved Morris. I Knew someone with the phone. I think I may have played 7 up, or am I confusing it with one potato, etc? Learned cursive, and my kids are learning/ learned it as well. :)

BAChicagoGal

I hardly see my family members any more. We get along fine when we are together, but we are not as close as we could be. No daily/weekly phone calls like some siblings/relatives. Thanksgiving, and Christmas are fun, but we go a very long time without any contact at all. I only have one sister left, but i rarely ever hear from her. Of course, I do realize that the phone works both ways. When we do talk on the phone, it can be for hours. I have a cousin who does call me, and we talk for hours about any, and everything. Funny thing is, I haven't actually seen that cousin since we were very young.

93boomer

Premium Member
Good morning. Rain and very gusty winds here this morning. May have to put off grocery shopping until later. It is dark and dreary. The cat is snuggled in her bed. She is not going to get up until the sun comes out. :cat: Weekend was busy and nice. Got out a lot and transplanted some phlox and put in some new flowers in the front bed. It was very nice to get out and dig dirt! lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom