The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
My pop let me have my first sip of beer (not half of one ;)) when I was 4 or 5. I remember really liking it, even back then. :)

I think my DS was likely in middle school, but I remember it like yesterday. I had a huge cooler in my office set up with Adult Beverages for his Family Birthday Party, his Birthday is in the summer so people were always in and out and I could keep an eye on who was going in there. He was helping me line up beer bottles before I dumped ice over them.

He was questioning me about what beer tasted like. Everyone knows how much I despise the taste and smell of beer. I told him I wasn't the one to ask because I didn't like it and it would be bad reviews. I asked him if he wanted to taste it to he could figure out what it tasted like. (I knew he'd hate it and not have the curiosity away from home anytime soon)

He was stunned at my offer and took a big sip then immediately Spat the Beer all over me. I was already dressed for his party and wet and smelling like beer. His response was that was disgusting, why do people drink that. Problem solved for many years aside from having to find new clothes to wear.

Gabe1

Now that looks like some darn good sangria.

My first drink was sangria. Parents let me have half a glass when I was a teen. :)

That Sangria looked awesome and I generally don't care for Sangria. I'd give it a try. My DD is afraid of it around here 'cause it usually has fresh apple in it.

We on Sundays always had wine with dinner at Gran's house on Sunday and holidays. Guess that is how she was raised too, wine representing the Blood of Christ on Sunday the Day of Rest. :angelic: The kids were served wine in little cordial glasses when we were small. My Sis really really liked it. Before dinner once as a preschooler she went around the dining table and drank all the cordial glasses of wine set out for the grand-kids. She missed dinner and slept right through until morning. :cyclops:

Gabe1

Yea, my t-shirt and cap were a bit soaked when I was done. :cyclops:
It would have been a bit more pleasant at 56, but, then again, we're used to it, and I'll take it any day over ice or snow. ;)
The lakes are still pretty full because the drought has been over for a coupla' years, but, this summer seems to be settin' up as a possible scorcher. Hopefully, just no more 112 degree temps...! ;) :)

We were pretty fortunate. We had some very warm Spring Days towards the end of Winter, same with the Spring. I was in shorts and no sleeved shirts last week and this week my Winter Coat and NorthFace, Blahhhhhh!

We have had so much pouring rain. I couldn't reach the garage tonight to bring the garbage cans to the street tonight. Maybe morning? If you need some excess water we have more than enough to share, the creek is over its banks badly, the ground isn't even taking it anymore, just ponding on sidewalks and grass. I've seen it worse here over the years by far but it has been a while since I've seen so much water for so long hanging on. Blooming and budding trees are likely happy. I had grass seed out on the parkway. Wonder where it floated off to?

Cesar R M

We had a few thunderstorms last night, but, nothing severe.
Unfortunately, up east of Dallas, a tornado tore through Canton, Texas and some other towns, leaving at least four dead and dozens injured. Prayers to all affected.

Thanks for your concern for us.

Considering it transformed into a pretty big wedge tornado.. I'm surprised there werent more death D:
scary!

Gabe1

I almost feel sorry for my boys because winter came in in such a way last year they never did finish doing fall clean up and now they are doing it this weekend. On a happier note my mint survived but has crept out of the garden into the lawn( note to self better move some of it before mowing starts next week) Also on my to do list root some citronella plants. I may have mentioned this before but we put a few out on the deck and around our property and they mosquitos stay away. Not bad being only a block and a half uphill from the lake:joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:

By root do you mean starting from seed?

Gabe1

Wow. Sorry to hear about your daughter's injury. That's awful.

Maybe my siblings and I were just lucky--we never had any injuries from carrying our books to and from school.

Likely if you were 100# (pick any weight and more than half it) you were not carrying 50 pounds on your back either.

I love the idea of tablets. They can be programmed too to read to students with IEPs too that are dyslexia for example. Some of the texts have tests loaded and can be auto graded so teachers have less stuff to take home with them at night to grade and I guess what makes me such an advocate is all the tech these kids are learning and exposed to which is the future. Instead of an assignment notebook, the high school near us utilizes Outlook. They can at a glace see what is forthcoming, what is due, plug in sports practices, games, concerts etc. I think it goes way beyond what is a safe weight for kids to carry it is the direction the world has already landed. Even my adult DS and DD for work no longer have desktops for work. My son always has his Surface with him. It goes to work, conferences and home. My DD works part in office and half remotely from home. She has a high end laptop that gets replaced every 2 years because they are used continuously. The University is paperless. It snaps into a cradle to connect to the University system.

But then again I'm the Mom that bought my son way way back a cell for his 8th grade graduation (people thought children with cells were going to be drug dealers) and bought my DD her first cell half way through 3rd grade, she was in a wheelchair, the disability bus broke down and bus company didn't tell school or me they were stranded and there was a snow storm. A friend of mine passed the bus and saw her on the disability bus looking out the window. I bought her a cell phone that night, because that was the last time she would be stranded on a bus with no heat in below freezing temps in a wheelchair. I think she was 8 years old. So as bad at tech as I am I embraced it for them and am in awe of what they can do. They had smart phones long before I did, now something I wonder why I waited so long to embrace. My kids have pushed me hard to keep up with tech. Usually they are right.

Last edited:

Gabe1

Mint can definitely take over a garden. My sister in law planted chocolate mint for us in the garden last year. We did our garden this weekend and it had grown so much, so I had to pull most of it out. I left a small bit of it in a corner away from the other plants. Citronella is a great idea. I should get some of those for around our deck. Gotta keep those disease carrying mosquitoes away.:eek::eek::eek:

Me too, I just need to understand how to grow Citronella better.

Me, my Garlic went out of control. But then again in my world you'd think there should never be too much garlic.

Gabe1

My nephew has MS. Today is the MS Walk at Soldier Field in Chicago. I was suppose to attend with some family members. However, they called and cancelled due to the cold and rain that is being forecast for today. I admit to not knowing much about these events, but I was looking forward to learning while attending. The Walk is happening rain or shine. I hope the outcome is successful despite the weather.

I am sorry about your nephew and nice you guys are embracing what you can do, or tried.

I am surprised they held it rain or shine, 'cause that event in Indiana a few years ago that didn't cancel had fatalities. Never worth that. Not sure what the weather did on the lake front today but I was in Kane today and we had thunder and lightening-still am, that is nothing to fool around with.

Gabe1

Eventually we will get our 90's as well and that will be fine I won't complain. In fact in past years I couldn't wait for the 90's. I will remind myself of sub-zeroes and then 90's will feel glorious! But for some reason this spring I have really been appreciating the mid 50's-low 70's we have gotten. It just seems perfect, I can go outside and not be freezing and do activity without getting super sweaty. But I guess the 50-70's is your typical winter, so you know how great it is.

I love the 70's. If I could pick a year round temp that would be the range. I really hate late fall, winter, early spring here most times. But I do gripe when the temps are up into the 90's and the humidity and dew point are real high, I tend to hide in A/C.

I struggle in Disney even when that humidity and dew point along with the temps are high. Still I'd rather hide during the day and go out at night in warm temps than hide 24/7 for so many months here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom