The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Hahaaa...!
Yea, it was a common thing back then, and was some good fun for us kiddos...! :)
Also, we did switch out, often enough, between the camper and the cab, especially as we got older. I am the oldest, so I rode with my pop a lot in the cab on about the last 2 trips before we moved back to Texas. It was easier to get truckers attention from there, too.
Through Arizona I remember riding shirtless most of the time. There were plastic seat covers in the cab, so you can imagine that combo, but, we definitely stayed cooler. There was no A/C in either the truck or the camper, so windows in both were pretty much always wide open.
I could write a whole chapter on just those trips alone.
We visited so many places along the way.
Everything from the LBJ Ranch, Grand Canyon, Painted Dessert, Petrified Forrest, Yuma Territorial Prison, to the Roy Rogers Museum in Victorville, CA. (now closed), etc.
Again, goooooood memories...!!!!! :happy: :)

Nice memories. Me <------- it would have been kill me NOW!!! Thankfully my Dad had the attitude of he did a lifetime of camping in the service, not ever doing that again. Thanks Dad.

My memories of south Florida. Each spring. Hollywood Fl.
24f1aa16612b6ee1e4a33e6d242cae47.jpg

Hotel
7f69b5926f4dd7c7b813b2140fac1301.jpg

We'd walk to Johnson Street each evening along the beach for Italian Ice and Jump on the in ground trampolines surrounded by unprotected concrete. :jawdrop: Very similar to this.
Trampolining,+1960+(3).jpg
j
Before the days of liability and risk management...

Lunch at Morrison's Cafeterias. Real good food at very reasonable prices.
9d6b0396f05d26a80705bde7468aa5aa.jpg

We have a very similar place in a dicier place in Chicago near Union Station called Manny's Deli that has been there for decades. A wondrous Jewish place. Bare bones but awesome food. Brings back Florida memories for me of my childhood.

Our hotel had a Lum's. Dang I loved their Roast beef. We could just walk from the pool 100 feet and get what we wanted.
a2ce4c373b38ce3827a9acb31e815539.jpg

Rafts in the ocean and every hotel had shuffle board
_c017601.jpg
ARS-EuroCourt2.gif

My Dad a contractor who had a slower time in Spring before commercial build season ramped up took a break each spring. He pulled us from school every spring for around a month or so, took all our books and we'd take a break at the heat of the day and do all our school work. We always came back ahead of the class, we kept up.
But I think my love of Florida was deeply rooted from toddlerhood.

Gabe1

We got to sit in the back of the station wagon with the plug in tv. Washington Dc, Hershey/Lancaster Pa, Maine, Boston, mostly the entire northeast. I still enjoy going to Mount Vernon when I'm down that way

No matter where we went it seems a nice family vacation brings back happy memories for us all. My kids always had Disney each year for at least 2 weeks. They are totally immersed with their growing up years being Disneyfied.
Much like my childhood in south Florida. My Sis would alway steal my kids once a year and take them around the country to places from Tampa to San Diego to NYC etc to show them 'other' places. They enjoyed those trips too.
Still our bond is Orlando. When my conventions for School Board plopped us at Universal a different Central Florida experience was forced upon them. And there is no going back.

Gabe1

We got chased by a water moccasin that came out of the brush at the adult pool. We ran backwards as fast as we could, he was on the cement sidewalk. I now don't walk near cars. Those and alligator's will seek shade when it get's hot.

Is it sad that I don't even know what a Water Moccasin is?

I've seen Gator's. Never under a car. Blessed. I shortcut resorts frequently through Disney parking lots. This fall frequently avoiding buses and in search of our Uber.

Gabe1

Oh, I'm sorry about that. I have one cup in the morning, but I'm on two drugs for high blood pressure. I need a whole suitcase just to carry the medicines to Disney!;););)

They ultimately with a Doc change took my Mom off all her meds and started over. So many Doc's, so many meds, so many from him and her conflicting. They started over so the interactions stopped messing up her system. Problem with Doc's jumping ship and new ones being assigned. History seems to be lost.

I live in a teeny tiny town. We all see our Doc. You'd think he be a country bumpkin but he is a kind aging man with excellent diagnostic skills. Just wonderful instincts. I know his days of practicing are numbered as he is 15 years older than me. Not replaceable. He has been God Sent. A Harvard Grad in our area, in a private one Doc practice is a rarity these days. So blessed.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Nice memories. Me <------- it would have been kill me NOW!!! Thankfully my Dad had the attitude of he did a lifetime of camping in the service, not ever doing that again. Thanks Dad.

My memories of south Florida. Each spring. Hollywood Fl.
24f1aa16612b6ee1e4a33e6d242cae47.jpg

Hotel
7f69b5926f4dd7c7b813b2140fac1301.jpg

We'd walk to Johnson Street each evening along the beach for Italian Ice and Jump on the in ground trampolines surrounded by unprotected concrete. :jawdrop: Very similar to this.
Trampolining,+1960+(3).jpg
j
Before the days of liability and risk management...

Lunch at Morrison's Cafeterias. Real good food at very reasonable prices.
9d6b0396f05d26a80705bde7468aa5aa.jpg

We have a very similar place in a dicier place in Chicago near Union Station called Manny's Deli that has been there for decades. A wondrous Jewish place. Bare bones but awesome food. Brings back Florida memories for me of my childhood.

Our hotel had a Lum's. Dang I loved their Roast beef. We could just walk from the pool 100 feet and get what we wanted.
a2ce4c373b38ce3827a9acb31e815539.jpg

Rafts in the ocean and every hotel had shuffle board
_c017601.jpg
ARS-EuroCourt2.gif

My Dad a contractor who had a slower time in Spring before commercial build season ramped up took a break each spring. He pulled us from school every spring for around a month or so, took all our books and we'd take a break at the heat of the day and do all our school work. We always came back ahead of the class, we kept up.
But I think my love of Florida was deeply rooted from toddlerhood.

I love your pictures--that was a real step back in time. Also, I always liked tray service restaurants like the one you shared. Don't know why that style of restaurant fell out of favor over the years--not too many left anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom