The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Cesar R M

@Cesar R M how's your grandmother doing and how are you holding up?
She seems ok. But I feel that her memory is definitively failing.
She is having huge trouble recognizing people from old photographs or newer ones.
Also she sometimes cant find the correct words. I'm not expecting much honestly, she's 96!
But otherwise, she seems ok. She is eating, trying to move around... watch tons of TV...etc..etc.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Nowadays if you took your kids out of school for a month you would be in jail. Sad. :rolleyes:

So many ways around it. Here 10% is 18 school days. Push that into a vacation around school holidays or vacations and you can easily stay under. I always took my kids out of school for 2 weeks each fall and a few times we took a few shorter trips. It was easy until high school then I had to be a bit more creative but cell phones made it easier and and calling the attendance line during the hours when school was closed helped too. But when they were young I always got all their homework in advance and 99% of the time and work was complete before we ever left for vacation. It was a deal breaker for me, they had to do the work if they wanted to go to Disney. Overwhelmingly teachers were supporters, a few teachers over all those years were a pain in the butt.

One teacher a Spanish Language teacher made up additional work for my son. Coloring. Coloring a Mexican Coloring Book meant for Primary Kids and he was in Middle School. (The following fall I ran for our Elected School Board) But that wouldn't happen again 'cause the coloring was completed and then I went to a school board meeting and highly questioned the purpose of coloring and considering coloring Spanish Language instruction and questioned the thought process of the Curriculum Directors reasoning. (she sat their with her jaw in awe the entire time I spoke to the School Board, she obviously knew nothing of this and I knew that) So 'we' colored. The Spanish teacher at the end of the school year was looking for a new job, non-tenured and the board wasn't amused.

Over the years it just became easier to lie or at the very least not to share. But my little loophole in the back of my mind if push came to shove was I would unenroll them from school. Come back and re-enroll them. Never had to do that but likely would have.

And in my defense I had two kids that put a lot of effort into school (I kinda demanded that always) They graduated high school with honors, went onto good Universities and graduated college and both found very good careers. The two weeks a year didn't cause any drop in report card grades or any of the other devastating things that are sometimes tossed at parents statistically. I also fairness never found it devastating either when my kids teacher was out from school sick, on emergency leave or maternity leave, grievance days or personal days.

Me, I just wish we would go to year round school with chunks of time off at different times of the year. So many parents bid vacation time on seniority.

MySmallWorldof4

Just when I thought the news couldn't get any worse, if we lose power it may take 3+days to get to us:mad::mad::mad::mad: The power company has crews staged and in hotels around the area but they won't be allowed to be out at the height of the storm. good thing I've been cooking since @StarWarsGirl's bed time:eek:
Oh gosh! I sure hope you don't lose power. I didn't even think about that possibility. We are more west than you I assume, so we won't have it as bad. Not that 12 in. isn't bad but it sure is a lot better than 24 inches or more.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Oh gosh! I sure hope you don't lose power. I didn't even think about that possibility. We are more west than you I assume, so we won't have it as bad. Not that 12 in. isn't bad but it sure is a lot better than 24 inches or more.
Thank you. I'm just making sure I have a week's worth of food cooked just in case. I did the same thing before Sandy and we survived a week without power.

MySmallWorldof4

Thank you. I'm just making sure I have a week's worth of food cooked just in case. I did the same thing before Sandy and we survived a week without power.
Well let's hope that you won't even be an hour without power and by cooking all that you just saved yourself work for next week. But you have starving and growing boys right? Okay, scratch that last thought.;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom