The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Wow, that is sad. They have gone the way of Montgomery Ward.

M. Wards is one of the stores that disappeared and I didn't bat an eye. I can be nostalgic about Sears, KMart not so much, even as a little tyke I found humor in their marketing/business model Blue Light Special, surprised they brought that back in the 21st century as it was mocked so much. Macy's I'm kinda iffy about. Those stores are a shadow of what they once were and never rose to the level of Marshall Field stores in our area that Macy's absorbed. For the most part we have departed from the Department store type consumer to the Big Box type of consumer-Bed Bath and Beyond, Costco to Target. Amazon a totally different discussion.

Still no matter how I feel about the individual stores I have empathy for those who work at these closing stores. Job loss for individuals or as a state, national count never easy to accept.

betty rose

Sorry that has been your experience, Bets. You and Mr. Bets deserve a nicer place to live. I will say that my hubs' parents and bro live in Colorado (bro & wife in Denver, and parents up in the Rockies) and they love it. I'm thinking maybe it's just whatever area you settled in, that "might" make a difference.
That's so true. Our place is known for being unfriendly.

MouseDreaming

By new year of 2014 all of the Dominicks Foods closed in Illinois as Safeway had taken over the brand. The CEO when the grocer was taken over took his revenge, opened his own grocery chain and pretty much forced Safeway to bail from Illinois. Marion's over the last 7 years has grown and a welcome chain in our area to replace Dominicks.
Their employees are trained Disney Style. They are all dressed in black and white, white dress shirt and black tie.
Classy store, classy employees.

Wait, are you talking about Bob Mariano? Who just sold his stores to Kroger and retired? He was an exec with Roundy's Pick n Save out of WI. And since Kroger took it over, I can't tell you how many times I have had to bring produce back for a refund.

And the Dominick's story is far from over. http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...r-empty-dominicks-tl-0521-20150518-story.html

As of now, the parent company of Jewel (the other big Chicagoland grocer) has bought out Safeway, and is sitting on leases. This includes renewing leases for vacant properties. Nice way to control the market, huh? Good for them, terrible for the communities it affects.

Goofyernmost

You are welcome. My back is flaring up today so I have the heating pad, tea and plopped in my rocker for the day. I'm watching all three of The Hobbit movies. :happy:
Lately, my back and hips have been giving me problems. I have never had back problems really, but, occasionally my lower back along with my hip joints bother me a little.** Not a lot, but, it usually lasts for a few days and then disappears. This past week end every time I got up out of my chair, I was stooped over like I was 95 years old and it made me very inactive. I finally gave up and headed for the 55 gallon drum of Aleve that I have on hand but hardly ever use. I took two at night and another one at the middle of the day and have been pain free for the last five days. I am normally not a person that heads for the chemicals, but, if all it takes to feel good is a couple of Aleve's a day I'm jumping on board with it.
It usually acts up after I have played golf, but, I am not about to give up what little exercise I get that doesn't involve the mind numbing boredom of just walking.

Goofyernmost

I have one of those lamps, eye Dr. said it's not good for my eyes. I have macular degeneration.
My daughters mother in law had a problem with that. In fact for a while she couldn't drive because of her vision. I don't know the treatment she had, something new I think, and it has reversed quite a lot or at least enough that she can drive again. From what I understand it cannot be cured completely yet, but, it can be at least reversed and made to stop progressing, at least for some time.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Lately, my back and hips have been giving me problems. I have never had back problems really, but, occasionally my lower back along with my hip joints bother me a little.** Not a lot, but, it usually lasts for a few days and then disappears. This past week end every time I got up out of my chair, I was stooped over like I was 95 years old and it made me very inactive. I finally gave up and headed for the 55 gallon drum of Aleve that I have on hand but hardly ever use. I took two at night and another one at the middle of the day and have been pain free for the last five days. I am normally not a person that heads for the chemicals, but, if all it takes to feel good is a couple of Aleve's a day I'm jumping on board with it.
It usually acts up after I have played golf, but, I am not about to give up what little exercise I get that doesn't involve the mind numbing boredom of just walking.
That's why I listen to music when I go out walking:)

Goofyernmost

That's why I listen to music when I go out walking:)
I like music, but, it bores me too. I usually enjoy that when I'm walking I either listen to nature (birds and other critters) or other peoples conversations. (listened to a very interesting one sided phone discussion that some lady had with what I assume to be her new X. Discussing the I'm keeping the house.. no you are not going to get custody of the kid. Yes, you are paying child support. No you do not have a say in where I decide her daycare should be. Along with a fairly steady repeating of the words... "What kind of idiot are you?", scattered in there with very colorful wording). You wouldn't want me to miss out on that would you? I can listen to music at home.

Princess Leia

And Christmas dinner is complete. Beyond Slurp. :hungry: Awesome time.

C0jjAHzXAAAhZ48.jpg

C0jjIzGWQAAjJNz.jpg
Someone else is almost finished preparing my Christmas feast.

C0jjU0iWEAA-RLc.jpg

C0jj6PtWgAExdUj.jpg

C0jlmmuXEAA0qN_.jpg

Come here my pretty

And complete
C0j_X_5WQAAGlPw.jpg
Yummmmm

Princess Leia

Okay, I hope that this doesn't sound ungrateful or spoiled, but I cannot remember how many trips my family took to Disney growing up :( I had thought that I went in 1995, '98, '02, 2005, and '08, but then it hit me that I was also there in 2000, because I remember being at the Millenium Village and seeing the special parade at Epcot. I asked my sister, and she didn't know the answer either. I just asked my mom, and she said 'a lot' (my parents also took a solo trip a couple years ago).

I was so certain that we took 5 trips, but I had this tiny nagging sense that it was 6.:oops: I was a little over 3 when I took that first trip, and 16 for the last trip (and will turn 26 when I go this fall). It's the 2002 (maybe 2003?) trip that I'm having difficulty recalling. And that makes me kind of sad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom