The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Figgy1

We had negative 11. I am not a fan of that. :bored:
Thanks. It is still pretty chilly -3 when I drove home. My classroom was a little chilly today too, but luckily I had reserved the computer lab for most of my classes. With all those computers running it gets pretty warm in there, so it felt fantastic. I have a heating pad on me now, so toasty!

-3 wind chill right now here. I'm glad I got my furnace a check up and happy this fall.
I'm so sorry but count me into the I hate winter and it's way too cold. Wind chill near 0:cold::coldfeet: and I'd throw in some tears but they'd freeze:(:(:(:(:(

Figgy1

It is so weird that these stores that have been around forever are going out of buisness. The Macy's closest to us is closing but not the Sears and the Sears never has any good stuff it looks like a garage sale most of the time. And the Macy's in downtown Minneapolis is closing down, which is a place I enjoyed going to. Oh well, not much I can do about it I guess.
Sympathy like. We're losing one of our Macy's, not the one nearest to be but the first one I ever drove to myself:(

Figgy1

Back when I first got married in 1972 (goodness, that reminded me that was 45 years ago tomorrow) (back on track now), VISA and MC didn't really exist big time. If you had a Sears card you were pretty much set. With the exception of food you, like Alice's Restaurant, could get anything you wanted. Tools, Car repair, TV's, Appliances, toys, Furniture, Clothing, Office Equipment, Musical Instruments, etc. Even as late as the mid 90's when things happened that caused me to file for bankruptcy, I negotiated to keep my Sears Card because I knew just how important it might be if I needed something in an emergency. Still have it, but, I honestly cannot remember when the last time was that I used it. Sears just recently closed a big store here in Cary, NC, but, there is still one in Raleigh. It wasn't listed on the closure list that came out yesterday. All my tools, and that's quite a few, are Craftsman.
My dh has quite a few Craftsman tools passed down from his grandfather. He stopped buying there when the lifetime guarantee ended a while back.

Figgy1

I hate where we live, we have had snow until May, on my birthday, and then snow in Sept. early part of the month. No real summer at all. Birthday is May 3. It is crazy to have snow in May.
I remember one year when we had a freak snow storm around the 10th or 11th of October, of course it was a doozy about 15 inches.:joyfull: I thought we were going to have the worst winter ever. Silly me it melted in 2 days and it wound up being a very mild winter with almost no snow or cold:joyfull:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I think Sears biggest mistake was ending the catalog. They could have easily transitioned that to online had they kept it. They once were what Amazon has become. Heck, you could even by a kit to build a house from Sears. They were big time, but, misread what the demand would be in the future. Many moons ago, as soon as they announced that Kmart bought out Sears, I knew they were done. I couldn't imagine how something as big as Sears could be bought out by what was once a 5 & 10 cent store. It took me forever to finally accept that I was so sure that Sears was to big to have that happen to them.

Amen to all the above. And, I'll never forget the huge Sears catalog--as kids, we used to "wait" for it to arrive, and everyone wanted to look at it. It was amazing what they sold in that thing!! My friends and I used to pour over the pages of women's clothing. I remember their slogan along these lines, "From these 4 simple items, you can create 12 different looks." They'd mix and match the outfit pieces to create different looking outfits. We thought that was way cool . . . :cool:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
We are seriously thinking about moving away from Colorado, if you don't ski, and don't drink beer, you are out of the party. I hate this state, people are selfish, and unfriendly. I loved Kansas, we had many nice neighbors, and had block parties every month. We all took turns. It was lots of fun, people don't speak to each other out here. When we do speak, they look like we are crazy. We had a friend who moved out here, and they moved back to Kansas.....they hated this state.....I'm needing to leave at the moment. We have our friends next door, but they are from Florida and feel the same way. Rant over. I guess I'm full of rants at the moment. Sorry......

Sorry that has been your experience, Bets. You and Mr. Bets deserve a nicer place to live. I will say that my hubs' parents and bro live in Colorado (bro & wife in Denver, and parents up in the Rockies) and they love it. I'm thinking maybe it's just whatever area you settled in, that "might" make a difference.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
By new year of 2014 all of the Dominicks Foods closed in Illinois as Safeway had taken over the brand. The CEO when the grocer was taken over took his revenge, opened his own grocery chain and pretty much forced Safeway to bail from Illinois. Marion's over the last 7 years has grown and a welcome chain in our area to replace Dominicks.
Their employees are trained Disney Style. They are all dressed in black and white, white dress shirt and black tie.
Classy store, classy employees.

Oh my, that video was depressing. :(

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Just thought of another store/company that might not still be around, but I'm not positive. I used to really like the Spiegel catalog (used to get it years ago in the mail) -- is that company still in business these days? Haven't heard about it for some years. (I think it might have been out of Chicago.) @Gabe1 , are you familiar with this company?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom