The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

Both of my folks were raised on farms. I've heard more than my share of stories over the years. Stories about picking cotton, butchering hogs, taking a short cut to school through a neighbors pasture and being chased by a bull, etc. They both left the farms after graduation. Mom headed for San Antonio and a small business school, pop for New Braunfels (just north of SA and home of Schlitterbahn) and a job at a textile mill.

betty rose

I heard on the news today that the Denver area was supposed to get up to 10 inches and I thought of you. Good luck, stay warm and safe.
We are over 24 inches, right now, we have spent most of the day trying to knock the snow off our trees, and keep one side of the drive way clear. Not easy, as we are having high winds too. This is "normal" for Denver and higher areas, we are way above Denver, and get way more snow then they do. The winds are still roaring right now, and we hope to get out before dark to do more snow removable before dark. It's going to snow all night and tomorrow. We will certainly make at least 3 feet. Unless it stops right now, but we are still watching for downed trees. Our power has been in and out all day. The joy's of spring in Colorado. Our daughter just e-mailed, and asked if we needed anything. Hubby and I have been out all day. Hoping his stone will pass. And yet nothing. It must have stuck on the wall somewhere. These sticky stones are the pits. I don't know if anyone remembers the game where you had two round paddles with velcro, and two balls with velcro. You had to catch the ball covered with velcro. I think hubby's stone has become one of those balls!:D:p:oops::rolleyes::in pain:

Last edited:

betty rose

Both of my folks were raised on farms. I've heard more than my share of stories over the years. Stories about picking cotton, butchering hogs, taking a short cut to school through a neighbors pasture and being chased by a bull, etc. They both left the farms after graduation. Mom headed for San Antonio and a small business school, pop for New Braunfels (just north of SA and home of Schlitterbahn) and a job at a textile mill.
My parents went through the great depression. My great grandma, called Mom Bee, was good with herbs and would help anyone sick, in the area. She also fed anyone who would need a meal, they had a garden and was always willing to share, even with a house full of kids. Mom was a kid through the depression. Mom Bee showed a great example of helping someone else.

betty rose

In our area some of our bushes have buds and small leaves, a few of the trees have some little green buds happening. The lawn is green and looks like a teenager, awkward. Some really long chunks, some real short and bare spots where winter has taken its toll, but happy to see anything bright green.
Everything is covered in white right now, and very droopy.

Figgy1

Premium Member
It never seemed to be an option for the family. My father grew up on a farm and was needed there, not to mention the fact that he hated school. My mother was a female and having an education was deemed unnecessary at the time. One was born in 1921 and the other in 1918. I was the second oldest of the generation and the oldest was the son of a miner and made his way through life with his fists. Lived to be a ripe old 45 years old. So I was the first to be in a generation that was actually expected to finish high school, at least. College was still not considered a necessity at the time. I graduated from HS in 1966. Just about the time when things started to change around. Somewhat influenced by the Vietnam War and the possible college deferment afforded to students. That's not why I went, however, and I ended up as a participant in that lovely encounter anyway.
Thank you

Figgy1

Premium Member
We are over 24 inches, right now, we have spent most of the day trying to knock the snow off our trees, and keep one side of the drive way clear. Not easy, as we are having high winds too. This is "normal" for Denver and higher areas, we are way above Denver, and get way more snow then they do. The winds are still roaring right now, and we hope to get out before dark to do more snow removable before dark. It's going to snow all night and tomorrow. We will certainly make at least 3 feet. Unless it stops right now, but we are still watching for downed trees. Our power has been in and out all day. The joy's of spring in Colorado. Our daughter just e-mailed, and asked if we needed anything. Hubby and I have been out all day. Hoping his stone will pass. And yet nothing. It must have stuck on the wall somewhere. These sticky stones are the pits. I don't know if anyone remembers the game where you had two round paddles with velcro, and two balls with velcro. You had to catch the ball covered with velcro. I think hubby's stone has become one of those balls!:D:p:oops::rolleyes::in pain:
Sympathy like doesn't even begin to describe my feelings. Good luck with the weather and the stone. I think your groundhog and the stone need to start spending time together:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom