The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

Okay, I just had the faux paux of the day. I put some black beans and corn chips in the microwave, (I've done this dozens of times) covered with a wet paper towel. It all caught fire. I was watching, so I turned off the microwave, immediately. I still have damage to the microwave walls. Hubby went to get KFC. It was crazy to watch. I'm just glad I was watching over the dinner. Which is no more!:eek::eek::eek:
Oops!!! Yeah, corn chips don't do well in the microwave, but I don't know why! So strange. But....were the black beans already on the corn chips? Is that why you put them in together?

Songbird76

And I wastrying to use it as personal, aka MY report that was done in the month of january :p

por = generic, can be used as direction.
Porfavor = thanks
Por la avenida = on the avenue. or "by the avenue" (as in position)
para = specific, used usually as "what for"
para llevar = to go (as in food)
para que? = for what?
But since it was YOUR trip, you could say "the trip of mine in January"...otherwise, you are saying that January took the trip. ;)

Songbird76

estar is to be as in place.
ser means as in being yourself.

Yo soy = I am (as in personal or pointing at yourself)
Yo estoy = I am (what you are right now)

Yo soy Buena persona = I am a good person
Yo estoy contento = I am happy (but also you can combine this better to create phrases such as Yo estoy siendo bueno. which is something like I am being a good Person )

Not to mention theres a lot of words that sound exactly the same but are written differently.. others that are written the same and sound similar but have completely different meanings.
like Cazar and Casar ( to hunt and to marry)

I'm not a spanish expert but yeah.
Spanish has way more very specific wording for certain things.
Funny story, but I'm not sure if it applies in the Mexican dialect....not sure how it is different from the dialect in Spain. My friend, when we were in high school, did a 5 week study program in Madrid to improve her Spanish. She lived with a guest family. One day, she was at the beach with her "sisters" and their friends and it was really hot outside. She complained "Yo soy caliente"...which is apparently not the correct version of to be, so she ended up saying something QUITE embarrassing, implying that she would like to..er...."mate" with one of the boys in the group. Then, once the mistake was pointed out to her, she could not remember the spanish word for "embarrassed" but it SOUNDS like the Spanish word for "pregnant", so she then announced to the group that she was pregnant. (embarrisado?) To this day, I don't know what the real word is for "embarrassed". I've also learned from a friend that you are not supposed to say you want to "catch" a bus in Mexico...that it means something different.

Songbird76

TGIF!!!! It's been a rather disappointing week! My friend's dad died on Sunday. Not completely unexpected as he had been in the hospital and was not doing well, but it wasn't expected quite so soon, and she had a trip planned to go home in just a couple of weeks, so she didn't get to see him before he passed. And I found out yesterday that the friend I'm closest to here in the Netherlands is moving to Germany in a couple of months. Her husband works for a company that goes all over the world, so she's lived in many different places. She's from Sri Lanka and her husband met her when he was doing a project there. They spent a couple of years in Qatar, and her husband gets sent all over the place and sometimes, for shorter projects, the family doesn't get to go with him. So he was just in Mexico a few months ago and that project ended up being prolonged for several months. Anyway, he was just on a 2 week vacation and they went to Germany and found a house they loved in a place they've always wanted to live...so they bought the house that afternoon and they are leaving in 8 weeks. I'm going to miss her so much! But I'm happy for her that they are going for their dream, and it IS a beautiful area, from what I found when I looked it up. Lots of caves and castles and ruins...we'll go and visit sometimes. But it's 450 km away, so there won't be anymore birthday parties for the kids with them, or craft days, etc.
The good news is that today is the last day of the 3 week period my doctor told me I can't exercise. I hope my hip is better now...I will try something small on Monday. Tomorrow I am helping my choir director's other group with their English. They wrote their own song and are recording it tomorrow, so I'm going along for the English pronunciation. It's always fun.

Goofyernmost

I dont know why many americans have such hate towards ketchup or different condiments in the hotdogs XD
Don't kid yourself. Just because New Yorker's are more vocal about it being wrong to use anything but mustard, it isn't the preference of the entire country. When I was growing up in upper, upper New York State, our favorite fast food was a number of places that sold a thing called Michigan Red Hots. Basically a chili dog with a very fine ground chili type sauce over a boiled hot dog cradled in a steamed bun and pretty much the only condiment would have been onions (ordered as with or without) and a single strip of mustard down the center. I still love them to this day, but it is nearly impossible to find outside of my home town in New York. The closest to it is at "The Varsity" in Atlanta, Ga. Other then that there was no limit to what condiments were used on hot dogs. Relish, Mustard, Ketchup, Hot Sauce, Sauerkraut, etc. There are purist everywhere and those few are the ones that insist on just mustard. They are wrong on so many levels. :joyfull:;)

Figgy1

Premium Member
TGIF!!!! It's been a rather disappointing week! My friend's dad died on Sunday. Not completely unexpected as he had been in the hospital and was not doing well, but it wasn't expected quite so soon, and she had a trip planned to go home in just a couple of weeks, so she didn't get to see him before he passed. And I found out yesterday that the friend I'm closest to here in the Netherlands is moving to Germany in a couple of months. Her husband works for a company that goes all over the world, so she's lived in many different places. She's from Sri Lanka and her husband met her when he was doing a project there. They spent a couple of years in Qatar, and her husband gets sent all over the place and sometimes, for shorter projects, the family doesn't get to go with him. So he was just in Mexico a few months ago and that project ended up being prolonged for several months. Anyway, he was just on a 2 week vacation and they went to Germany and found a house they loved in a place they've always wanted to live...so they bought the house that afternoon and they are leaving in 8 weeks. I'm going to miss her so much! But I'm happy for her that they are going for their dream, and it IS a beautiful area, from what I found when I looked it up. Lots of caves and castles and ruins...we'll go and visit sometimes. But it's 450 km away, so there won't be anymore birthday parties for the kids with them, or craft days, etc.
The good news is that today is the last day of the 3 week period my doctor told me I can't exercise. I hope my hip is better now...I will try something small on Monday. Tomorrow I am helping my choir director's other group with their English. They wrote their own song and are recording it tomorrow, so I'm going along for the English pronunciation. It's always fun.
I'm sorry you had a bad week. Good luck with your hip xoxo

Figgy1

Premium Member
Don't kid yourself. Just because New Yorker's are more vocal about it being wrong to use anything but mustard, it isn't the preference of the entire country. When I was growing up in upper, upper New York State, our favorite fast food was a number of places that sold a thing called Michigan Red Hots. Basically a chili dog with a very fine ground chili type sauce over a boiled hot dog cradled in a steamed bun and pretty much the only condiment would have been onions (ordered as with or without) and a single strip of mustard down the center. I still love them to this day, but it is nearly impossible to find outside of my home town in New York. The closest to it is at "The Varsity" in Atlanta, Ga. Other then that there was no limit to what condiments were used on hot dogs. Relish, Mustard, Ketchup, Hot Sauce, Sauerkraut, etc. There are purist everywhere and those few are the ones that insist on just mustard. They are wrong on so many levels. :joyfull:;)
The way I understand it is mustard and kraut on a dirty water dog, but ketchup is ok on the potatoes on an Italian hot dog. NYC area

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I dont know why many americans have such hate towards ketchup or different condiments in the hotdogs XD

Chicago Dog
vdog.jpg

First Portillo's in Villa Park Illinois
3cc8d14a3493e7c18dcba31e31fc6ebd.jpg

f0d35da4733c061d500853ffadea9030.jpg

StarWarsGirl

estar is to be as in place.
ser means as in being yourself.

Yo soy = I am (as in personal or pointing at yourself)
Yo estoy = I am (what you are right now)

Yo soy Buena persona = I am a good person
Yo estoy contento = I am happy (but also you can combine this better to create phrases such as Yo estoy siendo bueno. which is something like I am being a good Person )

Not to mention theres a lot of words that sound exactly the same but are written differently.. others that are written the same and sound similar but have completely different meanings.
like Cazar and Casar ( to hunt and to marry)

I'm not a spanish expert but yeah.
Spanish has way more very specific wording for certain things.
The way they teach English speakers ser vs. estar is estar indicates sonething temporary whereas ser indicates something less likely to change. Like "Estoy contenta" I could be happy now, but then I coukd talk to a group project member and be enojada, so the feeling is temporary. Ser is more permanent. Mi gata es negra y blanca. The cat's color fur isn't changing (for the most part. But why ya need two verbs for "to be" is stikl confusing. Your language es complicada.

StarWarsGirl

Chicago Dog
vdog.jpg

First Portillo's in Villa Park Illinois
3cc8d14a3493e7c18dcba31e31fc6ebd.jpg

f0d35da4733c061d500853ffadea9030.jpg
Okay, the Baltimore one sounds disgusting, and having lived here my whole life, I cannot say that I've ever seen a hot dog served that way. Or really anything about Baltimore that could have inspired that hot dog.

If you're going to slap together a hot dog and say it's from Baltimore, at least put some old bay on it.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Okay, the Baltimore one sounds disgusting, and having lived here my whole life, I cannot say that I've ever seen a hot dog served that way. Or really anything about Baltimore that could have inspired that hot dog.

If you're going to slap together a hot dog and say it's from Baltimore, at least put some old bay on it.
I was almost thinking the same thing about the NY one. Onion sauce is only if it's a Sabrette otherwise HECK NO!

betty rose

I guess you're right. It's just a bit shocking coming to the realization how much my life will change over the next few months.

And when you mention Bob Newhart, I'm so young I just think of him as Bernard from the Rescuers!
The first Bob Newhart series, where he played a psychologist; is one of the funniest comedy's ever put on T.V. Their humor is still timeless. I wasn't a fan of the second series, where he ran an Inn.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom