The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

StarWarsGirl

this one actually baffles me.
I understand It could be "from". But why not "of" ?
this one actually baffles me.
I understand It could be "from". But why not "of" ?
Okay, I looked it up.

Of indicates possession, and there are common phrases that use "of" For instance, Star Wars is a favorite movie of mine.

From indicates that something originated from something else. So your trip report came from January. It originated in January.

"Of", while not entirely wrong, sounds a bit weird.

It's okay; I still don't understand the difference between por and para.

Cesar R M

I understand , we once dreamed of living on a warm coast, but the prices were so high, we knew it was only a dream. Now with the hurricanes, and very high tides, we are glad that we didn't have to deal with this.
That too.
the good part is, there are good mountain areas that are close to the beach. So you can pretty much purchase a land with view.
Of course, the view is not forever as it only requires one ahole developer to build a 50+ floor building between you and the sea view (even if they shouldnt since we're quake prone).

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Yep, same here. He is way more in his element on TV and in film. :)

I saw Don Rickles, Newhart and Bill Cosby in Vegas. I'm not one that finds humor at others expense nor am I one to find humor in filthy talk.
It is easy to dumb down creativity and just throw in foul language as a substitute for creativity. Me, I found that these men did better when they followed a script.

Cesar R M

Okay, I looked it up.

Of indicates possession, and there are common phrases that use "of" For instance, Star Wars is a favorite movie of mine.

From indicates that something originated from something else. So your trip report came from January. It originated in January.

"Of", while not entirely wrong, sounds a bit weird.

It's okay; I still don't understand the difference between por and para.
And I wastrying to use it as personal, aka MY report that was done in the month of january :p

por = generic, can be used as direction.
Porfavor = thanks
Por la avenida = on the avenue. or "by the avenue" (as in position)
para = specific, used usually as "what for"
para llevar = to go (as in food)
para que? = for what?

Last edited:

Gabe1

Oh my! Mr. Portillo isn't going to like this marketing. :rolleyes:

"In a recent promotional video, Portillo's details its usual lineup of hot dog condiments, which doesn't include ketchup (thank goodness). Then, all of a sudden, the video's narrator intones, "While ketchup doesn't come standard, we'll add it if you like." The horror. What are we? Animals?" -time out-

What the heck? :confused: Why mess with perfection?

image.jpg

time-out

BuddyThomas

Oh my. So very sorry to hear, Buddy. Please excuse me, I'm still so far behind...
But, I know from where you speak. I was laid off from the firm I've now been back with for 3+ years in Jan. of '09. I worked as many as 3 retail (had never worked retail before in my life) jobs at a time, including The Disney Store for 4+ years, to make ends meet. I was the last, and only, one laid off in the fifth and final round, so the company was already strapped. I received only 2 weeks of severance, and had to cash out my 401K (which had lost more than 50% of what had been it's top value by then). It was nuts, all 3 kiddos were still at home. I just gritted my teeth and did what I had to. But, It all made me stronger and more confident that I could handle anything.

The best of luck!
Whether it's a hit play, or a new day gig, I'm sure you'll land on your feet, soon...! ;) :)
Thanks so much to you and to all who replied. I have two interviews on Tuesday of next week, so we'll see what happens.

BuddyThomas

Oh my! Mr. Portillo isn't going to like this marketing. :rolleyes:

"In a recent promotional video, Portillo's details its usual lineup of hot dog condiments, which doesn't include ketchup (thank goodness). Then, all of a sudden, the video's narrator intones, "While ketchup doesn't come standard, we'll add it if you like." The horror. What are we? Animals?" -time out-

What the heck? :confused: Why mess with perfection?

image.jpg

time-out
Okay, I don't even eat hot dogs, but this thing looks amazing!

StarWarsGirl

And I wastrying to use it as personal, aka MY report that was done in the month of january :p

por = generic, can be used as direction.
Porfavor = thanks
Por la avenida = on the avenue.
para = specific, used usually as "what for"
para llevar = to go (as in food)
para que? = for what?
Came from January. :p

I don't remember the specific rules they taught us. I just have learned to hear when it sound right or wrong.

Another thing I don't understand is estar and ser. I understand the difference, but why do you need two verbs for "to be"?

Language is weird.

Gabe1

I vote Purdue, hubby went there. Just kidding, make the right decision for yourself.

Purdue is an excellent school. Me, I'm voting for University of Illinois :inlove: I'm also a fan of University of Wisconsin-Madison, great town too. I did get a kick out of these misleading $$$ So not including all in $$$ amounts.

1 Massachusetts Inst of Technology $42,000
2 Stanford University $45,500
3 University of California-Berkeley $12,000 (*in), 27,000 (*out)
4 California Institute of Technology $39,000
5 University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign $17,000 (*in), $30,000 (*out)
6 Georgia Institute of Technology $11,000 (*in), $27,000 (*out)
7 University of Michigan $23,000 (*in), $43,000 (*out)
8 Cornell University $31,000
9 Carnegie Mellon University $40,000
10 University of Texas at Austin $10,000 (*in), $18,000 (*out)
11 Purdue University

Last edited:

BuddyThomas

You guys have to see this amazing movie called "Hello My Name is Doris" (doesn't sound appealing, does it?) starring Sally Field. I'm not really a fan of hers, but this movie is incredible. It is sad, funny, tragic, uplifting, and just amazing on every level. It's about an older woman (Field) who falls in love with a much younger co-worker at her office. Here is a sample of the movie (actually a music video with samples from the film) -

BuddyThomas

So, here are some pics from Wonderland Wives at Phoenix Theatre. Here is Snow (remember, this is after the characters get older):

snow appple.JPG

And here is the Evil Queen:

queen.JPG

And this one is a little PG-13 rated, so your spoiler alert begins now. All sensitive eyes must look away! ;)

Sexy spoiler in 10
Sexy spoiler!

snow and charming.PNG

And finally, the really cool set where all the shenanigans takes place.

set.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom