The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

brb1006

Wouldn't it be great if Disney ever decided to make an animated movie based on Journey Into Imagination. While Disney hasn't had a good track record with films based on popular attraction besides the Pirates Of The Caribbean series. I would love to see how Disney can make this movie decent or even fun to watch. Because if the film was a success, that means Figment and Dreamfinder will get more exposure to the public besides hardcore Disney fans. Hopefully that can be a sign that can give the Imaginners an idea to bring life back to the Imagination Pavilion in Epcot.

betty rose

Yep, in regards to gender, our girls have never been discouraged by us from anything. It just doesn't make sense to me, stomping on their dreams because of their gender. And, quite frankly, and honestly, such thoughts never even crossed my mind. They were told they could be doctors, lawyers, auto mechaincs, lumber jacks ;), etc., if they really wanted to be.
Dream and do big, girls...!!! ;) :)
Your daughter's have a wonderful dad! Good for you!

Songbird76

Exactly the way I feel, but, what I failed to convey in my post was that all that is wonderful, however, you don't wait for someone to say OK, you just take your place where you want to be. If you wait for approval from powers that be, you will never get there. Assume you can have whatever you want and go after it. Take it, don't ask if you can or think, for one second, that you don't have the right to get there.
The problem is, when we DO try to go for it, for every man like yourselves who are open-minded and encouraging, there are 3 who throw in extra road blocks to make sure we don't succeed. It's not about waiting for permission. It's about navigating the obstacle course and having extra resistance thrown against us. For example....in college, in one of my classes, we had to make an arrangement of a song for either a beginning band or elementary level choir. I spent HOURS in the computer lab, putting together an arrangement following all the rules. My boyfriend at the time kept putting it off...he would rather play Magic: the Gathering with his friends. He waited until the night it was due to start on it. The computer lab was only open for 2 hours. He threw it together and almost the entire thing was in Unison...he didn't follow any of the rules we were given. He put no effort into it and even told me he knew his was carp and was expecting a really bad grade...while I had a really solid arrangement. Guess which of us got an A and which of us got a C? We have to work twice as hard to come even close to the same level of achievement, and it's not because we're not as good at it as men are. People won't bat an eye if a man goes for a promotion at work....but a woman who goes for the same position is asked if she thinks she can handle the demands, if she's sure she knows what she's in for, etc. It's not just a matter of "allowing" someone to tell us we can do something. We KNOW we're capable. But the hill for us is a lot steeper climb than it is for you.

Figgy1

Premium Member
They are doing fine. Still at odds about what they should do, but, are working out their difference in opinions. Nature may possibly make the decision for them, from my vantage point it is impossible to tell. I have no direct contact with their Mother and all I can do is listen and offer my opinions, not my advice. (I guess that works out to the same thing)
At least they're working things out. At least that's a good thing in a very bad situation. I wish them nothing but the best. They're lucky to have you.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Wouldn't it be great if Disney ever decided to make an animated movie based on Journey Into Imagination. While Disney hasn't had a good track record with films based on popular attraction besides the Pirates Of The Caribbean series. I would love to see how Disney can make this movie decent or even fun to watch. Because if the film was a success, that means Figment and Dreamfinder will get more exposure to the public besides hardcore Disney fans. Hopefully that can be a sign that can give the Imaginners an idea to bring life back to the Imagination Pavilion in Epcot.
can I adopt you. That's one of the best things I've heard all day!!!!!!!!!!!!! xoxo

Goofyernmost

The problem is, when we DO try to go for it, for every man like yourselves who are open-minded and encouraging, there are 3 who throw in extra road blocks to make sure we don't succeed. It's not about waiting for permission. It's about navigating the obstacle course and having extra resistance thrown against us. For example....in college, in one of my classes, we had to make an arrangement of a song for either a beginning band or elementary level choir. I spent HOURS in the computer lab, putting together an arrangement following all the rules. My boyfriend at the time kept putting it off...he would rather play Magic: the Gathering with his friends. He waited until the night it was due to start on it. The computer lab was only open for 2 hours. He threw it together and almost the entire thing was in Unison...he didn't follow any of the rules we were given. He put no effort into it and even told me he knew his was carp and was expecting a really bad grade...while I had a really solid arrangement. Guess which of us got an A and which of us got a C? We have to work twice as hard to come even close to the same level of achievement, and it's not because we're not as good at it as men are. People won't bat an eye if a man goes for a promotion at work....but a woman who goes for the same position is asked if she thinks she can handle the demands, if she's sure she knows what she's in for, etc. It's not just a matter of "allowing" someone to tell us we can do something. We KNOW we're capable. But the hill for us is a lot steeper climb than it is for you.
I truly do understand the obstacle to success as a woman. In fact, I'm painfully aware of it, but, that is all the more reason to fight the fight. Things can change if people are persistent enough and go in with a winning attitude, take no prisoners, headed for the top of the mountain mentality.

Yes, women will still be called names that men never have to deal with, but slowly that rock can be chipped away. If anyone, male or female, believes in themselves enough that projects and that intimidates those that have a prejudice or fear of women of power. They call names, they say things, they put up roadblocks, women need to become much harder, less concerned about those things, develop a thicker skin and just negotiate around those roadblocks. Remember there was a time when women were not allowed to vote or own property, today it isn't even considered as anything but business as usual. I know it isn't going to change overnight, but, I hope that I will live long enough to see that happen. It can, I really believe it.

Not the same, but, to show just how quickly change can happen I always tend to revert to smokers. Having been one, big time, I felt that it was my right. There were no restrictions. You could smoke anyplace you pleased be it office, stores, in line at WDW, in airplanes, there was no limit. Just in twenty five years that has changed to... if your going to do that go to that isolated area and destroy your health, just leave the rest of us out of it. It happened faster then anyone, especially smokers, thought possible. It is a huge thing to change an entire nation from doing what was always accepted as OK. But, happen it did. Why?... persistence! If people had just tucked their tails between their legs at the first sign of resistance we'd all still be living in a cloud of smoke. What is right is right and we all know that treating women as lesser beings is wrong just as smoking is wrong. That is the foundation of the fight and it is completely unarguable.

Last edited:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I truly do understand the obstetrical to success as a woman. In fact, I'm painfully aware of it, but, that is all the more reason to fight the fight. Things can change if people are persistent enough and go in with a winning attitude, take no prisoners, headed for the top of the mountain mentality.

Yes, women will still be called names that men never have to deal with, but slowly that rock can be chipped away. If anyone, male or female, believes in themselves enough that projects and that intimidates those that have a prejudice or fear of women of power. They call names, they say things, they put up roadblocks, women need to become much harder, less concerned about those things, develop a thicker skin and just negotiate around those roadblocks. Remember there was a time when women were not allowed to vote or own property, today it isn't even considered as anything but business as usual. I know it isn't going to change overnight, but, I hope that I will live long enough to see that happen. It can, I really believe it.

Given what the Governor did this week in Mississippi I'm hard pressed to believe equality for all is on the horizon. The fight was fought and still this 'gentleman' has no desire to be accepting. Another man this week made a statement last week “There has to be some form of punishment,” for women who follow through on choices they have about their own bodies. And another stupid comment this week "Don't destroy the Democratic Party to satisfy the secretary's ambitions to become president of the United States," Sanders campaign manager Jeff Weaver told CNN. These are financially powerful people who have the support of so many that share the same type of opinions for both women and people with lifestyles that are not condoned by people who openly try to thwart what already achieve. Lord help the woman that has to deal with them that is Female, a minority and LGBT. It doesn't take a hard look into any given week to see how a chunk of the population will do what they can to thwart laws to wilfully discriminate. I find it annoying to be told to you (women) need to fight to change what is already afforded both by law and amendments. It is an unfair additional burden that I don't see going away in my lifetime.

Goofyernmost

Given what the Governor did this week in Mississippi I'm hard pressed to believe equality for all is on the horizon. The fight was fought and still this 'gentleman' has no desire to be accepting. Another man this week made a statement last week “There has to be some form of punishment,” for women who follow through on choices they have about their own bodies. And another stupid comment this week "Don't destroy the Democratic Party to satisfy the secretary's ambitions to become president of the United States," Sanders campaign manager Jeff Weaver told CNN. These are financially powerful people who have the support of so many that share the same type of opinions for both women and people with lifestyles that are not condoned by people who openly try to thwart what already achieve. Lord help the woman that has to deal with them that is Female, a minority and LGBT. It doesn't take a hard look into any given week to see how a chunk of the population will do what they can to thwart laws to wilfully discriminate. I find it annoying to be told to you (women) need to fight to change what is already afforded both by law and amendments. It is an unfair additional burden that I don't see going away in my lifetime.
I stated that it wasn't easy, nor was it going to be a quick thing. Of course it's unfair, but, the fight has to be fought just the same. That is the resistance I was talking about. Women can't throw your hands up in the air and say... I give up, it's never going to change because that will make it a self fulfilled prophecy.

I don't relate that statement about Sanders manager was a slam against females as much as it is a political statement that she would not be a good president, not completely because of gender, but, because of ability and the idea the there are still many that haven't gotten the women are equal message yet. I have known Sanders for many years being from Vermont. That is a stand that he personally would not support. What needs to happen is that she needs to get elected and with the support of women she will. The question is... will women support her and if they don't is it because they also believe that gender is the reason? I'm convinced that woman have the power, but, they need to exercise it strongly and with unity.

Again though we are getting way to serious in Chit Chat for that discussion. We really need to "let it go" (thought I throw a little Disney humor in there). We both have stated our opinions on the subject, but, I keep getting the feeling that you think I am against you and don't agree that there are significant discriminatory ways that women are looked at. I am on your side.. it needs to stop and it will when women decide that enough is enough and take a strong stand. It will change! I've tried not to over-simplify it, but, the basic idea that it can change with enough support is still true in my mind.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom