The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
That's even worse then! :hilarious:

And still I'm not surprised. I read the thread on the topic and all the fluff of Great, glad they backed off until it is really ready to be awesome stuff. Makes my head spin. I'm not surprised because they can't hold to any rehab let alone a new launch. Just look at the issues with Blizzard Beach. The bandaid didn't work there anymore than it did with SplashMountain and they only decided to fix that when the mountain started crashing in on the load area. So no I'm not surprised whatsoever but to wait until almost launch time to say ha ha just kidding we'll let you know folks sometime next month when we really will launch it is just disrespectful to guests that planned vacations around the launch.

Sorry. Rant over. Had a long day with stupid today with doctors.

Gabe1

My point was not about whether or not the floor plans and building layouts may or may not be similar at DVC resorts. Even if they were, you can make them look like anything you want, as far as exterior elevation treatments go.
My point was that once they decide on floor plans and building arrangements, they just stack 'em on top of each other floor after floor, just like any other hotel. Should make for, in my mind anyway, a quicker and easier build than, say, a Splash Mountain where pretty much every square foot is something different.
That was all.

View attachment 136955

Good example. They broke for Splash Mountain in the Magic Kingdom in 1991 and soft opened in July 1992.

Same timeframe it took to close Snow White in Fantasyland and open a meet and greet Princess Fairtale Hall in an existing building.

Last edited:

Gabe1

Oh, I hope no more Iger, or Ogre as I like to call him. ;)

It does make you wonder what has transpired behind closed door. Staggs is my age, a good chunk of career left. I'm a pretty big fan of his considering how his hands are tied with budgets and cuts coming down from Iger alway a moving target and wishy washie. Hard to make accomplishments when someone is cutting you off at the knees. Something has happened just waiting for the real what.

Gabe1

and considering how complex and long that ride is.. its amazing.
Now they take almost 3 years.. and we get a super short coaster (mine train)

I love Splash Mountain. It is an awesome piece of imagineering. Hard pressed to think of an attraction as elaborate as it since. Simulators and projections are not not in the same category as a build like Splash.

Gabe1

It works for a specific demographic. If you're traveling at least twice a year and using your DVC, then yes, it makes sense. At this point, we're traveling four times a year, twice a year to WDW, and the other two usually to other DVC locations. We're saving on dining, APs, and merchandise. APs were only $550 a person this year, and we'll get 2 trips out of them. If you're going frequently, have a larger family, and/or prefer deluxe resorts it makes sense. My parents prefer it because their other thought was to get a vacation home, but the hassle of that made them go the route of a timeshare. We have friends who have also bought into DVC and are very pleased with it as well. Several families we know are going and pooling their points to get a Grand Villa in June. I also don't want or need maid service every day, and to me, washing sheets and towels unnecessarily is wasteful. It's fine with me not getting maid service every day. Doesn't make sense for everyone, but we've been very please with DVC over the years.

Although I will say the service at Aulani and Hilton Head tends to be better than at the WDW DVCs. Hilton Head is so small that the CMs get to know guests. There's one CM who works there who has known me since I was about 12 or 13. She knows my first name and what time of year I'm usually there. She switched from food service to Mousekeeping recently. She saw me and asked what room I was in. She brought a tin of cookies and packets of hot chocolate to our room. Then she found out that my aunt and her granddaughters were there and brought them a tin of cookies. The lifeguards tend to remember my brother because he's always in the pool and he just entertains himself there. They are so attentive there and so friendly. They put the WDW CMs to shame in some ways.

I agree. I'm not the demographic that DVC worked for. Your family and its dynamics it certainly has. I still see many investing that get caught in the hype and should not fisically. My Godchild for example. Bought in at AK and Contemporary, first before she married and second right after. Now there is a child, master degree. No home and DVC payments. While it was fine in the moment for the young'n at 32 years old it is daunting. That is why we didn't when OKW came online years ago during the dawning. As much as I would have liked to cause I think it is awesome I just could not pull the trigger knowing college etc would be forthcoming and Education trump'd my genuine love of Disney. Like @MinnieM123 stated so well, it works for some families and it does indeed for your family dynamic without issues. Others I bang my head saying what were you thinking?

Gabe1

and considering how complex and long that ride is.. its amazing.
Now they take almost 3 years.. and we get a super short coaster (mine train)

And now from the concept drawings it appears they are dumbing down the kiddy coaster too for the Studios. When other parks are upping their game I don't comprehend the decisions being made, other than the dividends on stock shares. Penny wise dollar foolish overall.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom