The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Cesar R M

My jaw still has not closed over Stagg quitting. :jawdrop: I think the dude is my age. :facepalm:

There has got to be a good story. :cyclops:
Probably they refused him the "bone" (aka the CEO position).
So he quit to save face.
Can you imagine if you were trying your best to be Igerv1.1 and they told you "Sorry bud, you have as high chance to become CEO as Iger reducing prices and building faster at WDW (aka ZERO CHANCE)"

Cesar R M

Yet you look at how quickly the Grand Villa Building at the Grand Floridian went up. DVCs they can build. And those GF and Poly had to deal with open water issues and floodplains.

Did you look on the home page of this sight of the changes in concept drawings for the new Toy area of the Studio re-work? Already the coaster isn't quite what the first concept depicted. I like that he put the original concept and new together in the post so you can really see what the description is saying.
Agree, they're hella cheap now.
Only do things that can return investment as fast as possible.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I didn't get a class ring either. It wasn't my thing, but the ring you described would have been a nice alternative!

It was a nice surprise. When I told my Mom I didn't want one a few days later she took me to our family jeweler downtown and had me pick a ring. She said when I looked at it to just think of it as my high school ring.

Gabe1

Yes, he is doing well, it seems the stone is staying put for now. He is doing beer, and jumping off the last two steps to the basement. Looks like it won't budge without surgery.

Poor Him. Give him a big {{{HUG}}} for me. Hate to see anyone go through what he has and then still have to do the surgery. I feel that way for women that go through very long labors and then have to finish it off with a C-section. Both so unfair. :( At least he should be finally on the mend by the time the warmer weather stays put and done with it for Disney.

Just wrong that he has been under the weather since your last trip.

donaldtoo

Yet you look at how quickly the Grand Villa Building at the Grand Floridian went up. DVCs they can build. And those GF and Poly had to deal with open water issues and floodplains.

Did you look on the home page of this sight of the changes in concept drawings for the new Toy area of the Studio re-work? Already the coaster isn't quite what the first concept depicted. I like that he put the original concept and new together in the post so you can really see what the description is saying.

Yea, but those DVCs are both cookie cutter carp. Stamp 'em out and repeat. At least at the Poly, they're all the same floor plan, as far as I know.
Thanks, I took a quick look at the Toy art. Are we really surprised by any of this anymore...? Perhaps they should be more careful about prematurely releasing "concept" art in the future.

OK gang, I'm out...
Sweet dreams to all...!
See y'alll...!!! :)

Gabe1

Agree, they're hella cheap now.
Only do things that can return investment as fast as possible.

I'm so fortunate to have done with my young then family the late 80s and 90s. Every year there were new things to do and experience. Everything was maintained to the old white glove standards.

I remember the first time we went down and the bushes at the resorts were kinda overgrown at Port Orleans Resort and noticing the paint on the wooden railings were dirty and chipped for the original Goofy coaster. I had never dealt with grimmy at Disney. I was also surprised that the sidewalks were not as clean as they had been kept...little did I know that was the start of the neglect along with the long gaps between new builds. I do love that we got to experience WDW at the height of expansions. Good Times.

Gabe1

Yea, but those DVCs are both cookie cutter carp. Stamp 'em out and repeat. At least at the Poly, they're all the same floor plan, as far as I know.
Thanks, I took a quick look at the Toy art. Are we really surprised by any of this anymore...? Perhaps they should be more careful about prematurely releasing "concept" art in the future.

OK gang, I'm out...
Sweet dreams to all...!
See y'alll...!!! :)

Yeah, I am no expert at DVCs by any means. @StarWarsGirl could likely lend my credence to your cookie cutter theory than me. I know all the moderates seem to use the same template. Just arranged buildings and main buildings a bit differently.

Gabe1

Probably they refused him the "bone" (aka the CEO position).
So he quit to save face.
Can you imagine if you were trying your best to be Igerv1.1 and they told you "Sorry bud, you have as high chance to become CEO as Iger reducing prices and building faster at WDW (aka ZERO CHANCE)"

Something happened there. I've read many a theory the last few hours but nobody seems to have a real clue. Just guessing.

StarWarsGirl

Yeah, I am no expert at DVCs by any means. @StarWarsGirl could likely lend my credence to your cookie cutter theory than me. I know all the moderates seem to use the same template. Just arranged buildings and main buildings a bit differently.
While the floorplans are basically the same, I wouldn't necessarily call the DVC's cootie cutter. For one, even though the floor plan is about the same for every resort, especially in the studios, AKL has a different design than Aulani, Aulani is different than the newly renovated Beach Club, Beach Club is not like Hilton Head (although I think the flooring is similar, which actually isn't a bad thing), BLT is completely unique, even Poly and Aulani look nothing alike. They all have different theming and aspects to their design. The floor plans are also not exactly the same across the board. Aulani's two bedroom has a half bath that Hilton Head's lacks. Their kitchens are laid out differently. Hilton Head features large balconies with picnic tables, which no other DVC has. Poly defies the formula completely, with two showers (which, when you have four people in one room, is glorious). The placement of the DVCs can vary greatly. While many are just their own wing of the hotel, this isn't always the case. There are resorts which are entirely DVC units (Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, OKW) and these quite often have very different layouts. BLT has its own building which is very different, not just from DVCs, but even from the Contemporary resort itself.

They follow a formula, but maintain their uniqueness. The design of each resort and the details in the rooms (and they are very detailed) definitely varies from resort to resort. Yes, the floorplans are basically the same, and you definitely see the similarities between the resorts (as you would for non DVC Disney resorts; they're built by the same company, so that happens) but I wouldn't go so far as to call them cookie-cutter. Especially certain ones, namely Aulani, Hilton Head, AKL, BLT, and Poly.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Yet you look at how quickly the Grand Villa Building at the Grand Floridian went up. DVCs they can build

It really is that obvious. I started to really pay attention to all this when they put up Bay Lake Tower, which I still think is an eyesore next to the impressive Contemporary. But pretty much, I think that all the DVCs at WDW are unattractive. Part of the reason is that if they built these DVCs far enough away from the original resorts, I might not feel so negatively toward them. But when they construct these buildings, they take away open space, views, vegetation, etc., from the original resorts, and that's what bothers me the most.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom