The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Walt has quite the vocabulary. He even knows if we are walking the neighborhood or going into the woods via the truck. If I say woods he goes to the garage. His favorite words, my sons name, Grandma and lately even my DD however Ice Cream trumps just about any other word. Sadly he doesn't respond to the word Squirrel like my Golden's did, they went out for the hunt. Still Bunny means Walt will half heartedly at best, will in slow-mo follow her around the back property and she will half heartedly keep a safe distance from him. Like they both know there should be an instinct there for a chase but neither of them seem to want to be bothered with it. Shows you animals do evolve. He really is a character.

I watched a NOVA special awhile ago about dogs and I think they said that dogs have the vocabulary capability of a 2-3 year old. I thought that was pretty interesting as toddlers do seem to comprehend quite a bit. On walks with my dog, Kapono, I have been trying to teach her different routes home. Once we have gone the distance I want in one direction I will ask her to take me home. Lately she has always been picking the right way to go home. I don't think she will ever get loose or out of her fence without a leash but I would like to think that she would be able to find her way home if she is familiar with the neighborhood. I might be deluding myself but it makes me feel better.

donaldtoo

But we come from a different era. Times of taking a young'n and molding them to a life long relationship with one company is no longer the norm. Loyalty seems to be goner both with the employee and the firms and from what I've seen it is the firm that cuts the relationship more often than not when their needs change. When I was small a two year degree from a 'teachers college' was all most private schools elementary/high school required. And our Nuns didn't even have that as they had their own educational system in place for their staff. Laws change for many job classifications requiring higher education to perform certain duties. While there are 2 year degrees for nursing still, many hospitals won't hire the RN's without a 4 year degree. I wrestle with some of the requirements given the expense.

I still land always on education in the end. Again just me. More times than not from what I've seen a college degree will help you rather than harm you as one tries to obtain a job or further a career. Our high school belongs to a mega co-op for every trade school training. It is really a wonderful option for those who just are not into college for a multitude of reasons. Unfortunately for those who went that route for a high school alternative many/some that were just not focused in high school, matured and had second thoughts. It is really hard to get into college later without taking high school level courses at a community college, then to qualify for higher level courses at the same community college making a degree a real struggle, adding a year or two to the normal 4 year degree. All I've seen I'm torn. The World I grew up in has changed. Laws for certifications changed in so many fields from my era of youth. That is why I landed on my kids would finish their degrees come h*ll or high water. If they decide to jump careers at any point it won't be a lengthy educational process to qualify. Sadly there is no one size fits all answer to it all.

Hmmm...
My post in no way had anything to do with the merits of earning a college degree vs. not doing so. I was just clarifying, for any that didn't already know, that I never got one, so therefore I have no experience with college group projects. Nor did it have anything to do with company/employee relationships as they exist now vs. back in the day, or the changes in certifications. Plus, I've already stated here before that the chances of anyone achieving what I have without a college degree (I had three hours a day of vocational drafting and design class for 2 years in HS) these days is next to zero.
My post was simply an agreement with (what was my understanding, anyway) the second paragraph of yours...if a person is not hard working, competent, accountable, etc., and doesn't play well with others, they're gonna' have a rough time in the real workaday business world. That was all.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Sympathy like...we got snow this morning too and the winds are crazy. I could barely get the back door open, so the light snow we got is blowing like crazy.

We had huge flakes @MinnieM123 would have loved them. Now 50+mph wind gusts with flurries for the next 4-5 hours they say.

I wonder what type of GroundHog dinner will be served up tonight?

Gabe1

I watched a NOVA special awhile ago about dogs and I think they said that dogs have the vocabulary capability of a 2-3 year old. I thought that was pretty interesting as toddlers do seem to comprehend quite a bit. On walks with my dog, Kapono, I have been trying to teach her different routes home. Once we have gone the distance I want in one direction I will ask her to take me home. Lately she has always been picking the right way to go home. I don't think she will ever get loose or out of her fence without a leash but I would like to think that she would be able to find her way home if she is familiar with the neighborhood. I might be deluding myself but it makes me feel better.

I believe you are right. Walt knows how to head home no matter which direction we are coming from And sometimes when he has had a long enough walk before I have he will abruptly turn towards home. If we are out in the woods no matter where I park If I ask him if he wants to go back to the CAR he'll head to it. He also has a great sense of home.

donaldtoo

As sad as I am that the Osborne Lights leaving I not going to be as sad as when they left residential street. Thinking about my Dad and the Christmas we took him and my Mom with us and he pushed my DD through the arch. (ramming people's ankles to move them out of the way so she could see. :cautious: ) We added a week when we were down there to recover from all the extended time. :cyclops: My Sis and her hubby even joined us for Christmas.

house.jpg
Osborne-Family-Spectacle-of-Lights_Full_4750.jpg

Osborne-Family-Spectacle-of-Lights_Full_4744.jpg

DSCN8766_edited.jpg

Very nice! :)
We only ever saw Residential Street once on the BLT on our first family trip in July of '01. It was cool, and we all loved it. It was gone by our next trip in July of '04. :(
DWifey and I were fortunate enough to see the Osborne lights during our Dec. of '08 20th anni. trip...fabulous...!!! :joyfull: :)

Gabe1

Sympathy like. Does your family have a social worker or a case manager that can help you? Pixie dust for all involved

The social worker was so nice. The counselor was a nut job and the case worker I flat out don't trust, The caseworker just seems to be shipping them out as they come through the door. My Dad has had 3 major surgeries in the last 10 years so it isn't like I'm not familiar with the good and bad of each. I have to deal with the caseworker, the counselor I politely told her to go away. I didn't want to be polite. I think abrupt would have likely resulted in her getting it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom