The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
That's it....we're raising them to be good ADULTS. They have to be able to succeed on their own, so we have to teach them how. It's more work with DS because he has more obstacles. We've had him in physical therapy for his motor skills delay, we've had him at the Psychologist to work on emotional/social development, and soccer helps him a bit with both those areas, though we still notice that he is behind. And his social/emotional problems are pretty obvious at school because he's the youngest in his class...he's 6 months to a year younger than most of the kids. At 8, that year makes a HUGE difference. We could hold him back a year so that he's with kids more on his level in that regard, BUT, cognitively, he's ahead of all of the kids who are a year older...he's got the best grades in his class and scores the highest on the national exams for his grade. So if we hold him back a year to catch up socially, he'd be bored out of his gourd with the classwork. It's a struggle. We can't have it both ways, so we just do what we can to help him in the areas where he's weak. He's getting there...he's a work in progress. (aren't we all?) I hope we're doing the right things.

I like the comment about soccer. As a board member I've heard many a presentation. One of the most successful ones I've heard of around here anyhow is Dance for social development. As in a dance team or anything dance as a unit, like Irish Dance etc. The way it has been explained to me is the social part of being part of a group, quick learning of the dances because their intelligence is way up there and everyone having their part to fulfil. Reportedly anyhow a big self esteem builder too.

Songbird76

^^^^^^
This

@Songbird76

And state by state women are fighting the Luxury Pink Tax on Feminine Products and in addition opt out providing covered prescriptions for female specific drugs. Me, I find it unconscionable that these items our government classified as a Luxury or debatable in the first place.

@MinnieM123
I know there has been so much fun had at her expense but just look at Meg. She climbed that corporate challenge despite some very debilitating physical conditions. Like her or not she is criticized in a more personal way than other male Disney Corporates are. I see posts year after year poking fun at her looks, her manner of dress, her hair very similar to what I have seen for decades with Hilary. I am not surprised that many women just stop fighting the fight because they are not being judged just not on what they have or have not accomplished but on their looks, attire and if they are smiling or not. It does get old. So even when they do break through the ceiling many are still being criticized in a rubric category that should not exist.
Yes, and there's this standard that's unattainable. Like..a woman is supposed to do whatever they can to look good or they are labeled as sloppy or lazy, etc, and they won't get any breakthroughs. But, a woman who is TOO attractive is a distraction. And women are somehow seen as being at fault for harassment, because guys just can't be expected to control their own behavior....it's a woman's responsibility not to provoke bad behavior. When I was in high school, I was your typical wall flower. I wore drab, baggy clothing, no makeup, and basically tried to hide. And yet, when I was sexually harassed, I was told boys will be boys and I just "need to learn to deal with it". -I- was the one causing the problem because I asked for the boy to leave me alone and asked to be protected from him. It wasn't until my brother, a BOY, stood up to the kid that it was dealt with, even though I had reported it to several teachers. It's not considered a big deal until another male says it is. But it's confusing...Be pretty, but not TOO pretty. Be smart enough not to get into dangerous situations, but don't be TOO smart. Be nice, but not TOO nice. You are labeled no matter where you fall on the spectrum, and there is no good place to be on that spectrum.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom