The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Cesar R M

Women seem to be completely obsessed with allowing people to dictate what they should be doing
I dont think its women per se. Men have dominated and pushed their way for millennia.
I still remember how awful it was the fight just so they could get voting rights (see the Suffragette movie). Or getting into a Medic Degree (Maria Montessori).. The same arrogance they have to fight to get a pilot license now...

Ironically, this happens with all the groups that want to have the opportunity to grow.
In reality and as historical fact, the powerful (particularly white men) are the ones fond of not letting anyone else get in their "precious" little privileged group.

As for clothing. There are a few high end creators who are females.
But yeah, the high clothing lines are always dominated by men (particularly european).

Goofyernmost

No one tells me what to buy. If I don't like something, I don't buy it. Some women like the current fashion trends, but let me be clear: I don't buy something I don't think looks good on me. I don't spend money on current trends just to spend money. I make myself look good because feeling pretty makes me feel good about myself. Not because of popular opinion, but because I like it. I don't even pick up fashion magazines. I wear what I think looks good and don't give a darn about what everyone else thinks. If anyone thinks for one second I'm dressing for their opinions, they need to think again. That doesn't mean that I don't sometimes opt for comfort over style, but when I choose to dress stylishly, it's because I want to and it makes me feel good.

I did not take your comments as an insult, nor do I view you as a misogynist; in fact, I've come to think of you as someone who greatly respects women, but the topic is something I feel strongly about, and I don't think it's possible for you to fully understand the issues because you can't possibly experience them. In the spirit of keeping this thread upbeat and positive, this is the last I'm going to say about the topic.
That I totally agree with. I haven't spent a single minute of my life in the shoes of a woman (or any other article of women's clothing, for that matter), and I know that there are elements of social and economic powers that have through intentional or unintentional actions have managed to hold women down. That upsets me because two of the most important people in my life are women.

Just as you feel strongly about your thoughts on the matter, I too, feel that empowerment comes from within. No one will give it to you... you must take it. Women would still not have the vote if it hadn't been for a group of women taking a stand and forcing an issue. If you'd left it up to men, more then likely women would all still be pregnant and barefoot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom