The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

Yep. It's called "They make less, so we charge them more.":rolleyes:
I don't mean this as an insult, but, there is more to it then that. Women seem to be completely obsessed with allowing people to dictate what they should be doing, what they should look like, etc. We talked earlier about women's clothing and useless design that some weird guy in Paris decided women should look like. Never mind that women also have to function in the world, let's not make it easy for them. And women let that happen. The sad part is that most know better, but, get sucked in to the hype more then men do. I'm not saying that there are not a number of men that do the same thing, but the percentage is much lower.

Why can't you have fashions that are comfortable and practical. What's stopping women from demanding it instead of just following some obnoxious twerps that decided it for you. What stops you from buying the "non-pink" items that perform the same function for less money? What stops you from demanding more money in the work place. Every company I have ever seen relies heavily on the female gender to make their operation function. (Believe me there are not enough men willing to do the stuff that women do in the workplace. Your jobs would only slightly be in jeopardy.)

When it comes to ability to attract a mate, believe me, men are focused on one thing during their younger years and you could wear a burlap sack and still attract them. With men is not what you're are wearing it is more how much of the clothing is missing at the right time.

Songbird76

Latest news on hubby's stone. We went to the Doctor today instead of Wednesday, because the Doctor had a cancellation. Anyway hubby hasn't passed the stone, it has moved lower. So he goes back in another two weeks. Hoping he passes it by that time. Still doing the beer and riding the bike. If he doesn't pass it , it will be of to surgery.
So much for beer bread. :( Did you ask about the sugar free cranberry juice or the capsules someone mentioned?

Songbird76

Sometimes I think I'm really quite bright.

Other times I go and do stuff like squirt toilet bowl cleaner in my eye and I'm reminded I'm not...:in pain:
Oh owwwww!!! I got toiletbowl cleaner in my eye once and landed in the ER! I was a custodian in the dorms one summer, and they taught us to use Toilet bowl cleaner in the sinks, because it works better on hard water stains. So I was doing that, and some splashed into my eye. That stuff BURNS. Of course I started splashing water in my eye right away, and then I was taken to the ER and they flushed it for an hour or so and I had to wear a patch overnight because I had a slight scratch, but then I was fine. Did you go to the doctor to have it looked at?

StarWarsGirl

I don't mean this as an insult, but, there is more to it then that. Women seem to be completely obsessed with allowing people to dictate what they should be doing, what they should look like, etc. We talked earlier about women's clothing and useless design that some weird guy in Paris decided women should look like. Never mind that women also have to function in the world, let's not make it easy for them. And women let that happen. The sad part is that most know better, but, get sucked in to the hype more then men do. I'm not saying that there are not a number of men that do the same thing, but the percentage is much lower.

Why can't you have fashions that are comfortable and practical. What's stopping women from demanding it instead of just following some obnoxious twerps that decided it for you. What stops you from buying the "non-pink" items that perform the same function for less money? What stops you from demanding more money in the work place. Every company I have ever seen relies heavily on the female gender to make their operation function. (Believe me there are not enough men willing to do the stuff that women do in the workplace. Your jobs would only slightly be in jeopardy.)

When it comes to ability to attract a mate, believe me, men are focused on one thing during their younger years and you could wear a burlap sack and still attract them. With men is not what you're are wearing it is more how much of the clothing is missing at the right time.
First of all, let's get one thing straight. Most women do not put on makeup or wear jewelry or choose stylish clothes for men or anyone else. We choose them because they make us feel good, and that is our sole reason. I personally could not care less what they guys at school think about the way I dress. That's not even on my list of reasons for my choice of clothing. Sorry guys. ;)

As to the other part: why don't we demand? Well, it's complicated, but the simple answer is because we won't be listened to. It goes back to that women are still not viewed equally to men. If a man demands something be done, no one questions it. If a woman demands it, quite often she is written off as being "b*tchy".

The wage gap and the fact that our products are priced higher is something that tends to get swept under the rug. But again, we're not conditioned to "demand" things. We're conditioned to be "lady-like". It's not so much that we care more than men about what other people think. It's that we're conditioned to behave a certain way, and then when we do stand up for ourselves, we are written off as being difficult without someone taking us seriously.

And it's no wonder. Women only been allowed to vote in this country for less than 100 years. For most of this country's history, women had no say about the government. Most women didn't start going to college and having careers until about 60 years ago or so. In the history of the United States since 1776, that means women have only had the right to vote for about 40% of US history and have only had jobs equal to men for about 25% of our history. If you consider the world, that's an even smaller percentage, and there are still parts of the world where women are severely oppressed. Clearly, it's not just something we can speak up about and have go away.

It's not as though women haven't tried. We've tried. There's a whole movement around it called feminism. But there are extreme sides of feminism that say that women are greater than men when really the feminism movement is about women and men having equal rights and women being able to choose what they want for themselves. This means that people, both men and women, have a negative view of the movement and therefore listen even less to women. And there is still plenty of misogyny, on the part of both men and women, alive and well in this world.

I know you probably didn't intend to have a post about why don't women just buy men's products turn into a rant about women's rights, and this was not directed at you (or anyone here, for that matter). The issues, though, run much deeper than that, and I'm not sure it's something that men can fully comprehend. As to the men's products, in some cases, we do use men's products because they are cheaper, but for the most part, we're not men, we don't want to be men, and women's products are designed for us, but why do we insist on charging more?

I apologize if this rant came off as a bit harsh, and I definitely have nothing against men. For the most part, I've had very few issues in my life compared to the issues women in some countries have. I was raised by a strong mother and a father who never said I couldn't do something because I was a woman. But obviously, the issues exist, and this is something that I feel very strongly about.

StarWarsGirl

Oh owwwww!!! I got toiletbowl cleaner in my eye once and landed in the ER! I was a custodian in the dorms one summer, and they taught us to use Toilet bowl cleaner in the sinks, because it works better on hard water stains. So I was doing that, and some splashed into my eye. That stuff BURNS. Of course I started splashing water in my eye right away, and then I was taken to the ER and they flushed it for an hour or so and I had to wear a patch overnight because I had a slight scratch, but then I was fine. Did you go to the doctor to have it looked at?
I did not. I flushed it with water immediately last night. Within five minutes of flushing it, the burning stopped, so I must not have gotten very much in there. My vision's good, and my mom looked very carefully at it both last night and this morning and thought it looked fine. My mom also finished cleaning my bathroom so that my eye wouldn't come in contact with any more chemicals. I have to go to the eye doctor within the next month anyway so I can renew my license on my birthday, so I'll mention it them, but I think there was no harm done...and I shouldn't do it again. :in pain:

Goofyernmost

First of all, let's get one thing straight. Most women do not put on makeup or wear jewelry or choose stylish clothes for men or anyone else. We choose them because they make us feel good, and that is our sole reason. I personally could not care less what they guys at school think about the way I dress. That's not even on my list of reasons for my choice of clothing. Sorry guys. ;)

As to the other part: why don't we demand? Well, it's complicated, but the simple answer is because we won't be listened to. It goes back to that women are still not viewed equally to men. If a man demands something be done, no one questions it. If a woman demands it, quite often she is written off as being "b*tchy".

The wage gap and the fact that our products are priced higher is something that tends to get swept under the rug. But again, we're not conditioned to "demand" things. We're conditioned to be "lady-like". It's not so much that we care more than men about what other people think. It's that we're conditioned to behave a certain way, and then when we do stand up for ourselves, we are written off as being difficult without someone taking us seriously.

And it's no wonder. Women only been allowed to vote in this country for less than 100 years. For most of this country's history, women had no say about the government. Most women didn't start going to college and having careers until about 60 years ago or so. In the history of the United States since 1776, that means women have only had the right to vote for about 40% of US history and have only had jobs equal to men for about 25% of our history. If you consider the world, that's an even smaller percentage, and there are still parts of the world where women are severely oppressed. Clearly, it's not just something we can speak up about and have go away.

It's not as though women haven't tried. We've tried. There's a whole movement around it called feminism. But there are extreme sides of feminism that say that women are greater than men when really the feminism movement is about women and men having equal rights and women being able to choose what they want for themselves. This means that people, both men and women, have a negative view of the movement and therefore listen even less to women. And there is still plenty of misogyny, on the part of both men and women, alive and well in this world.

I know you probably didn't intend to have a post about why don't women just buy men's products turn into a rant about women's rights, and this was not directed at you (or anyone here, for that matter). The issues, though, run much deeper than that, and I'm not sure it's something that men can fully comprehend. As to the men's products, in some cases, we do use men's products because they are cheaper, but for the most part, we're not men, we don't want to be men, and women's products are designed for us, but why do we insist on charging more?

I apologize if this rant came off as a bit harsh, and I definitely have nothing against men. For the most part, I've had very few issues in my life compared to the issues women in some countries have. I was raised by a strong mother and a father who never said I couldn't do something because I was a woman. But obviously, the issues exist, and this is something that I feel very strongly about.
And as long as women keep thinking that way it will continue to happen. I cannot speak for the rest of the world, because abstract poverty and oppressive narrow thinking happens in places that I cannot possibly be talking about. I am talking about this country, this first world location where women think that they have no power, when they have the majority of it. It's statistically been said that women control the purse strings in this country. Stop buying that stuff and you will definitely be heard.

And why do you feel better about being told how you should look? Who told you that you will feel better and "look" better if you stay with a dictated style? Did a fashion magazine tell you that if you wear the latest style you will feel good about yourself and otherwise you will be frumpy and feel bad about yourself? Why are you listening and responding to it?

I told you that I didn't mean what I was saying to be an insult. You apparently took it that way. When I mentioned "men", it was just an example. Plug in anything you want instead of men... it's still the same! As you know, I had two daughters and, if I never did anything else, I always told them that they could achieve anything or be anything that they wanted to be and that the glass ceiling was breakable. I told them that they had all the power in the world, all they had to do was exercise it. One of them told me recently that life wasn't what I told them it was and that they have had to fight for what they wanted, and fight they did and have achieved. Women are the majority in this country, how does that translate into no power, either politically or economically? It isn't the lack of power, it is the lack of exercising that power.

I'm not speaking about third world, uneducated, poverty ridden people, I'm speaking of the women of this country and our little section of it.

StarWarsGirl

And as long as women keep thinking that way it will continue to happen. I cannot speak for the rest of the world, because abstract poverty and oppressive narrow thinking happens in places that I cannot possibly be talking about. I am talking about this country, this first world location where women think that they have no power, when they have the majority of it. It's statistically been said that women control the purse strings in this country. Stop buying that stuff and you will definitely be heard.

And why do you feel better about being told how you should look? Who told you that you will feel better and "look" better if you stay with a dictated style? Did a fashion magazine tell you that if you wear the latest style you will feel good about yourself and otherwise you will be frumpy and feel bad about yourself? Why are you listening and responding to it?

I told you that I didn't mean what I was saying to be an insult. You apparently took it that way. When I mentioned "men", it was just an example. Plug in anything you want instead of men... it's still the same! As you know, I had two daughters and, if I never did anything else, I always told them that they could achieve anything or be anything that they wanted to be and that the glass ceiling was breakable. I told them that they had all the power in the world, all they had to do was exercise it. One of them told me recently that life wasn't what I told them it was and that they have had to fight for what they wanted, and fight they did and have achieved. Women are the majority in this country, how does that translate into no power, either politically or economically? It isn't the lack of power, it is the lack of exercising that power.

I'm not speaking about third world, uneducated, poverty ridden people, I'm speaking of the women of this country and our little section of it.
No one tells me what to buy. If I don't like something, I don't buy it. Some women like the current fashion trends, but let me be clear: I don't buy something I don't think looks good on me. I don't spend money on current trends just to spend money. I make myself look good because feeling pretty makes me feel good about myself. Not because of popular opinion, but because I like it. I don't even pick up fashion magazines. I wear what I think looks good and don't give a darn about what everyone else thinks. If anyone thinks for one second I'm dressing for their opinions, they need to think again. That doesn't mean that I don't sometimes opt for comfort over style, but when I choose to dress stylishly, it's because I want to and it makes me feel good.

I did not take your comments as an insult, nor do I view you as a misogynist; in fact, I've come to think of you as someone who greatly respects women, but the topic is something I feel strongly about, and I don't think it's possible for you to fully understand the issues because you can't possibly experience them. In the spirit of keeping this thread upbeat and positive, this is the last I'm going to say about the topic.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I did not. I flushed it with water immediately last night. Within five minutes of flushing it, the burning stopped, so I must not have gotten very much in there. My vision's good, and my mom looked very carefully at it both last night and this morning and thought it looked fine. My mom also finished cleaning my bathroom so that my eye wouldn't come in contact with any more chemicals. I have to go to the eye doctor within the next month anyway so I can renew my license on my birthday, so I'll mention it them, but I think there was no harm done...and I shouldn't do it again. :in pain:
Are you sure you shouldn't see a doctor just in case? I hope you're ok but better safe than sorry!

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
sympathy like . At least you got to look like a pirate overnight ;)

MOXOMUMD

I hate pink, girly and frufru so I guess we're not all the same. :D

Cesar R M

Nearly 20 minutes late to class and I beat the professor there, so it turned out not to matter. Phew. Guess I lucked out today...
That actually reminds me of my time at the public university.
Some teachers were arrogant hypocrital aholes.

No seriously. There was this one who could give you a instant 0 if you got late. Doesnt matter if you were ill, had a flat tire, or an accident on the road.
Yet many times she was late because she was in the cafeteria taking breakfast. :mad:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom