The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Figgy1

Premium Member
Universal has been keeping a watchful eye out for discarded talent of Disney's. It started back when they ditched so many imagineers and many of which were hired by Uni, you can see the Disney touch in the over the top theming of all things Potter. In 2013 when they also ditched Elliot Dyson a jazz musician from POFQ Scats Lounge Uni quickly had him performing over in their territory.

Nice to see Off Kilter land over there too. Haven't seen what replaced the Lumberjacks but I hope whatever it is that it is a more suitable replacement. Will be interesting to see if Disney Studio performers land there also or if Disney finds them other roles.
I never really had an interest into going to UNI until Diagon Alley was built. I'm so lucky we have the time this summer to explore both resorts.:)

Figgy1

Premium Member
Howdy! I am doing well. I met someone from the dating site over the weekend and we had a really nice time. He's also going through a divorce, has 2 kids, is intelligent, funny, and self-aware. We're getting together again later this week, so hopefully things continue going well. :D

Hope you're doing well, too! I see you're still trying to ketch up. I've given up hope for myself. :p
have a wonderful time but be careful!

Songbird76

Don't be surprised if it reverses. I was the good student and fairly easy as a kid while my brother, who has autism, had trouble at school, got in trouble a good bit, and just generally was more challenging. He's in middle school now, and while he has days where he is completely irritating to live with, he generally gives my mom less carp than I did. Of course, I very rarely gave my dad any carp, and to some degree, he was perpetually amused, but my brother balances out nore who he pulls the carp with.

I will say this: don't let your son or daughter get away with talking disrespectfully to you. Demand respect. Don't let thay slide, because if you do, you'll have far more problens down the line than if you just nip the problem when it starts. Just pure observation: my friends whose parenfs were like mime talked respectfully to their parents by high school whereas my mom's one friend, who let a lot slide during middle school, has problems now with respect at home (I've heard her daughter speak go her...I never would have gotten that far with my mom), and her daughter is a high school senior. They've also had problems with her being disrespectful to other adults, including teachers. Be understanding of the raging hormones, and realize that to some degree, your kids really can't help it. But don't use it as an excuse for poor behavior either.
Very good advice, thank you! Yes, my kids actually have switched once already...as a baby, DD was the one who wouldn't sleep, who kept me up all night, wouldn't eat anything, etc. She was a generally happy baby...as long as someone was holding her, and she never met a stranger. But put her down for a nap and she would scream non-stop. DS was the most mellow baby either. Very rarely cried, always went right to sleep when you put him down and he would go longer between feedings, would eat just about anything as long as it didn't have chunks in it. As soon as we started with the babyfood that had chunks, he wouldn't eat anything anymore and about the time he started teething (he was really late with that...about 9 months and then he got 6 teeth at once) he was constantly cranky and really sensitive about everything, where DD just got easier and easier to deal with. She is nearly 10 now, and we are noticing some hormone surges....last Tuesday she was SO grouchy in the morning and she didn't know why...just really a bad mood and we had her parent teacher conference that night and the first thing her one teacher said was " What was with her today?? I've never seen her like that!" and the other teacher who hadn't been there that day said "Oh wow...that doesn't sound like her...I've never seen her in a bad mood EVER! Was this the first time in her life?" It really shocked them. So she's going through it, but we've always said to the kids "You are absolutely allowed to have bad days...you can be angry, you can be sad, you can feel whatever you feel and that's ok. BUT, you WILL NOT talk back to us, slam doors, throw things or be in any way disrespectful of us, or of our property." DD got mad once a couple of years ago and went into her room and slammed the door. I followed her in and told her that was NOT allowed and if she couldn't be respectful, all the fun stuff would go away. And when she was about 3 or 4, she had a friend who was really bossy and kept telling her that if she didn't do what the girl wanted, she wouldn't play with her ever again. So DD started saying that to us to get her way. We just sat down with her and asked her what it meant to be a friend...what does a friend do? A friend shares, and plays with us, and is honest...if she doesn't want to be friends anymore or play with us anymore, that means we won't get to do fun things together, like go to the park, or to the movies or play with barbies together...that we won't share our computers with her if she won't play with us anymore....that that's what it means to not play together ever again. And is that really what you mean? No....so it's not nice to say something that's not true to get your way...you really aren't going to stop playing with us forever if we don't let you have that cookie, so you shouldn't say that. We had to remind her 2 or 3 times, but it stopped after that. I think we'll be ok as far as the talking back thing. If they ask for something and don't say "please" I become temporarily deaf until they remember the magic word. And DH almost took away soccer from DS once when he was being really rude...they know that if they don't follow the rules, there are consequences and their favorite things go away, and rule number one is to be respectful, not just of us, but of everyone. I'm sure we'll have moments, but respect is something that you have to start from the very beginning, not just wait until the teen years.

Songbird76

Yea! Mickey mail. Just got the planning DVD! I know what we're doing tonight!
Oh, I wonder if it's up on youtube yet!!! I can't get the planning DVD because I live overseas. I watched the 2015 version on Youtube....will have to see if the 2016 is up now. It wasn't, just after Christmas.

Edited to add:
Yes, it is!! It's dated 2 weeks ago, so it's new! Thanks for the reminder to look again! I can't wait till I have time to watch it!!

Songbird76

I didn't read your post and I wanted chocolate cream pie, great minds think alike!
I didn't actually end up getting pie. I remembered too late to actually make one. BUT, I did get some chocolates from Hubby to make up for being a meany head. We changed providers for our phones because the one we were using stopped the package we had. But we asked to keep our old numbers, but there was a 2 week period for them before they could get it arranged, so we had temporary numbers for 2 weeks. Hubby had changed my number on whatsapp so I could still get messages because I'm on the board for choir and that's how we do most of our business between monthly meetings, and it's how I keep in touch with my friends AND how we know if soccer practice has been canceled, and when the games are. So I NEED whatsapp. Yesterday, we got our old numbers back, and I am a total tech squib...I'm not good with tech. I was trying to figure out for myself how to change my number back and I was having problems. It didn't work at first and was showing hubby not as a contact, and when I added him, it added him with the temp number, not the old one, and I was trying to work out how to fix it. I thought I finally got it and I sent him a message saying I was testing and he sent a message back that the account I was trying to contact was not in service, so I thought I had COMPLETELY screwed everything up...and it was a joke. So I told him he wasn't forgiven until he brought me chocolate! He came home with a big package with a big chocolate bunny, a package of fererro rocher, a box of Toffifee, and a huge Milka waffle bar. LOL So my dessert last night was chocolate bunny ears. This will last me months!

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
ME TOO!!! I think the whole changing clocks thing has run its course. There's really no reason and no one LIKES changing their clocks. Why do we still do it!!?? We don't change until the 27th here, so I've got a couple of weeks.
I like going around re-setting everything. At least my clocks are all correct twice a year ;)

Songbird76

True. IMO it starts very young molding kids. I was blessed and while my DD was special needs being non verbal back then her intelligence balanced it out so I was fortunate in that regard. But with me it started before they could walk. There was no tossing bottles or food from strollers and high chairs. Melt down, they went down for a nap or in crib to chill. Kids learn boundaries very very early. They couldn't walk yet but they'd stick their arm out and hand me back their bottles or sippy cups from stroller. I was late to the party having kids in comparison to many of my friends. I watched some of their mistakes and how hard it is to break those behaviors. I figured I had to have control early on or it would be all over by the time they were young teens. I have a way of looking sideways and both knew what that meant. I can remember my son saying as a preschooler, Grandma Moms looking at me with sideways eyes. Now my kids and I do that amongst ourselves when we see relative's children's out of control.
Yep...it starts young. DD was exactly a year and a half old when DS was born. For the first 2 weeks, hubby was home to help and DD wanted NOTHING from me. I couldn't change a diaper, I couldn't get her a snack, I couldn't get her dressed. She followed Hubby around EVERYWHERE and if he went to the bathroom, she'd stand outside the door crying for him. She was VERY jealous of baby brother. So when Hubby went back to work, she HAD to let me do all those things for her and she wanted to sit on my lap all the time, but sometimes I had to feed my son. While I was nursing him, she'd sit next to me and she'd try to push him off my lap, or kick him in the head, etc. Every time she did that, I put her on the floor. She couldn't climb on the couch herself. But every time she'd do something like that, I'd put her on the floor and tell her if she couldn't be nice, she couldn't sit with mommy. It took about 2 weeks for her to realize he wasn't going away and she was spending a LOT of time sitting on the floor instead of with mommy and she stopped. From literally day one, when we went out for a walk or to the grocery store, we'd stop at every curb to look both ways. To some people, it would seem a ridiculous waste of time to tell a week old baby we were going to look both ways to see if it was safe, but we did it EVERY time, and by the time they were old enough to walk, they were used to stopping at the curb to look both ways because that was the routine. Neighbors commented about how the kids would run ahead to the curb and stop there and wait for me...they never ran out into the street. It starts from day one. Then they know exactly what to expect because it's been what you've always done.

Songbird76

Once again... a serious moment. This situation is ripping my family apart and I don't know what to do about it. I have mentioned my X a number of times and her declining health, but, it has come to a head and is looking like it is going to make mortal enemies out of two sisters, both of whom I love dearly.

I believe I mentioned that my X's condition has been declining rapidly and it is due to a condition, from an unknown origin, that has rendered her unable to swallow or speak in an understandable manner. When asked if she wanted a feeding tube, she said no. However, it has also been determined that her current mental state maybe at a point of not being totally aware of what it means, one way or the other. The Doctors feel that they might get her into a hospital and do some intravenous action to get her strength up enough to allow the process of inserting a feeding tube. After that they feel that there is a least a chance of retraining her to swallow and thus prolong her life for some time (undetermined length). My daughters are at an impasse due to the fact that one feels that 1) her mother has already said no and 2) the quality of life enters into it. Even at best all it will provide her with is a couple of years of sitting in a chair starring at the wall. The other, of course, feels that whatever hope there is hinges on her having the feeding tube and doesn't want to come to the conclusion that her mother just wants to die and that whatever is possible to possibly help should be pursued.

Couple that with the idea that I shouldn't even be involved because the woman divorced me 15 years ago because she no longer wanted to be married and wanted to control her own life. Well, she got control of it, but, her life long mental illnesses didn't allow her to make that work and now she is in this situation and my girls are being forced to make decisions that no child should ever have to make. I am torn personally. I can't say that any "love" exists between her and I, but we were married for 29 years, raised two children from birth to adulthood and had all the experiences that most couples have had in their marriages. The last thing I want to see is for her to be suffering, but, I really have no say in the matter anymore. I'm not sure I want it, but, I don't want them to be in that position either. I feel some responsibility due to the fact that I was somewhat involved in the process that made her their mother. At least I was at the time. For one of the first times in my life, I feel helpless. Unable to protect my girls from the pain and the really sad bit of dysfunction that they are currently in or heading for. Any suggestions? No, that's ok, I know it's not your problem but I needed to vent a little. I hate this. They are the only family that I have and I hate confrontation with a passion, but, I feel ready to explode and scream out that this isn't about the two of you, it's about your Mother. Carp or get off the pot.
I'm so sorry....that's such a rough situation!! Nobody wins. Is there someone who has power of attorney? And did she say no at any time before there was a question of her mental capacity to understand what's going on? Like...does she have a living will? My mom always said, for example, that she didn't want to be kept alive by machine. That if she got to the point where she couldn't eat or drink by herself, she'd not like to live like that and we should let her go. She was clear about that long before we got to that stage of her cancer, so we could abide by her wishes. I'm so sorry for your girls...it's a terrible burden for them to have to bear...to be the one to decide that kind of thing. Is there maybe a counselor who could mediate with them and talk them through it all? I take it her condition is a terminal one? Could they maybe talk to a hospice nurse?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom